YANI: New Monster (rot13 too)

A new kind of F.

A swamp thing.

A big shambling creature who appears only in levels with generated swamps.
Still vegan for monks because just like the comic book Swamp Thing gur
nznytnz bs funzoyvat fjnzc cynagf gubhtug gurl jrer Nyrp Ubyynaq, fjnzc
guvat jnfa'g Nyrp Ubyynaq ghearq vagb n cynag ryrzragny. Cyhf vs n cynlre
vf xvyyrq ol n fjnzc guvat, gurer'f n punapr gur punenpgre jvyy or
erfheerpgrq va n obarf cvyr nf n fjnzc guvat anzrq Jungrire gur punenpgre
jnf anzrq whfg yvxr zhzzvrf. Frr gur fgbel Nangbzl Yrffba.

Make it second only in hand-to-hand attacks to a mumak. Go ahead and joke
that this could be an arch-lichen. Eating the corpse would confer telepathy
(25% chance) taking the rot13'ed bit into consideration.

Plus it'd be nice to have plant monsters who are actually dangerous rather
than the pathetic lichens, molds and shriekers.

Surprising that there haven't been any venus flytraps introduced to strike
fear in the hearts of animals.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Plus it'd be nice to have plant monsters
> who are actually dangerous rather
> than the pathetic lichens, molds and shriekers.

Well if you _want_ evil tree-ents, just "patch some up".

xanthian.

Not quite sure how you'd eat the corpses,
though. Blessed tin of cellulose-devouring
gut bacteria, perhaps.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Surprising that there haven't been any venus flytraps introduced to
strike
> fear in the hearts of animals.

Particularly suprising since venus flytraps were the original F (from
Rogue). They were fairly tough too . . . still couldn't move, but had
stronger attacks than lichens, etc. and were sticky.

I wonder why they were dropped along the way?

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> Plus it'd be nice to have plant monsters who are actually dangerous rather
> than the pathetic lichens, molds and shriekers.
>
> Surprising that there haven't been any venus flytraps introduced to strike
> fear in the hearts of animals.

Hah! Like in Leather Godesses of Phobos <g>. That'd add some spice to
dying. They'd have a swallow attack which then digesting (maybe add a
chance of getting foocubus effects while swallowed). #chatting to them
would have a (maybe slim) chance of killing them.

Vs lbh qba'g xabj gur pynffvp grkg nqiragher Gur Yrngure Tbqrffrf bs
Cubobf: gurer jnf n irahf sylgenc oybpxvat lbhe jnl, naq uvffvat ng vg
jbhyq xvyy vg VVEP.

<g>
--
Sabine
& major demon (mother-in-law)

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> There's an ent patch?

Not to my knowledge.

I was suggesting you create one.

HTH

xanthian.

"Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote in

> Well if you _want_ evil tree-ents, just "patch some up".
>
> xanthian.
>
> Not quite sure how you'd eat the corpses,
> though. Blessed tin of cellulose-devouring
> gut bacteria, perhaps.

There's an ent patch? If there isn't, I'd say that ents might leave a few
quarterstaffs and a pile of random fruit / eucalyptus leaves.

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:

>> There's an ent patch?

> Not to my knowledge.
> I was suggesting you create one.

The Dev Team might already be doing such a thing. When discussing the
use of the monster letter "z" (currently zruty), I suggested it could be
used for "zoophytes" (look it up if you want).

This class of monsters could include ents and huorns, but also other
plants, like venus flytraps. They weren't dismissive of this idea, I
think they rather liked it. Of course, the latter is purely guessing.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:32:42 +0100:
> The Dev Team might already be doing such a thing. When discussing the
> use of the monster letter "z" (currently zruty), I suggested it could be
> used for "zoophytes" (look it up if you want).
>
> This class of monsters could include ents and huorns,

I think ents and huorns rather obviously have to be capital letters.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Rast wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:32:42 +0100:

>> The Dev Team might already be doing such a thing. When discussing the
>> use of the monster letter "z" (currently zruty), I suggested it
>> could be used for "zoophytes" (look it up if you want).

>> This class of monsters could include ents and huorns,

> I think ents and huorns rather obviously have to be capital letters.

Yes, but the Z is already occupied by zombies, and the Dev Team have
stated more than once that letters may be re-assigned to *new* monsters,
but they will not exchange existing capital-lowercase combinations.

The same argument could reasonably be valid for b/B (I consider most
blobs more dangerous than the bats and birds), for c/C, for fF (felines
are more dangerous than immobile fungi), for gG (I'd rather meet a gnome
king than a winged gargoyle), for qQ (mastodon vs quantum mechanic), and
even for zZ (the zruty has a higher danger ranking than the most
dangerous zombie).

--

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Rast wrote:
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:32:42 +0100:

> >> The Dev Team might already be doing such a thing. When discussing the
> >> use of the monster letter "z" (currently zruty), I suggested it
> >> could be used for "zoophytes" (look it up if you want).
> >> This class of monsters could include ents and huorns,

Zoophytes are things like sponges and corals, rather a long way from
ents. They're animals that are immobile like plants, not plant-based
creatures that are mobile like animals.

> > I think ents and huorns rather obviously have to be capital letters.
>
> Yes, but the Z is already occupied by zombies

You could make M be "mummies and zombies" if you really felt a need to
free up Z.

> and the Dev Team have stated more than once that letters may be
> re-assigned to *new* monsters, but they will not exchange existing
> capital-lowercase combinations.

They have? Do you have citations for that?

(There's a precedent for their doing exactly that; in 3.0 prior to
patchlevel 6, leprechauns were 'L' and liches 'l'.)

: "You boil it in sawdust: you salt it in glue: / You condense it with :
: locusts and tape: / Still keeping one principal object in view -- / :
: To preserve its symmetrical shape." [ Lewis Carroll, "THotS" ] :

"Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote:
>Well if you _want_ evil tree-ents, just "patch some up".
>
>xanthian.
>
>Not quite sure how you'd eat the corpses, though. Blessed tin of
>cellulose-devouring gut bacteria, perhaps.

Polyself to a monster capable of eating wood. Next?
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html