Guys help me please :(

G

Hey guys. I've got a big problem. I dual boot win98 and win2k. Recently my system crashed under win2k (a rare occurance) and when I restarted back into win2k, I got a blue error screen saying something was wrong (run virus check, chkdsk, etc.) I couldn't do anything about it, except on every few reboots it did let me in. Very weird. Well it was too frustrating for me so I decided to format and reinstall win2k. No big deal until after the installation on the first boot, it gave me a different blue error screen. Another one I have never seen before. Do you think it has something to do with my win98 installation? What could cause this to happen and what cna I do to fix it? This new blue error screen saids that I have a software/hardware problem and whatnot. Please help me! Send any suggestions to my email addy: inshyguy@aol.com

thanks a lot!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Do you have both operating systems on different partitions/drives or on the same logical drive letter? If the former, you most likely have a hardware problem. If the latter there may be a conflict between the two operating systems.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

No its not a hardware problem

I had the same problem TWICE

I had 98 and 2000 installed
and one day going into 2000
BOOM

Both of my partitions were WIPED
BOTH!

2000 does not like 98 at all

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

G

That's odd I ran into the same problem. I was using 2K and decided to run 98 for games... Then found out why I had switched to 2K to begin with and tried to do the dual boot thing... Eversince then I can't even install 2K... Crappy crap crap... I think it has to do with Partition Magic and my HD.... I'll have to see.

--
Free us from these chains, let us slip these bonds and touch the sky with our imagination.

G

I may be more helpful if you would post the exact error message that you are getting. If your getting a BSOD you should see an error code.

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Same type of error, only it was a Win98/Linux problem. The dual boot worked without a hitch for quite a while, then all of a sudden Linux crapped out, and soon after so did windows. After that, on a complete format and reinstall, I could only get windows to run. I eventually just pulled another hard drive out of a different machine, and put linux on that. The dual boot works fine now.

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
if you have win98 and win2k on the same partition there is a tendencie to have a problem with the registries bleeding into each other. try re-partitioning your HDD with one primary and 1 logical drive. format the c: drive with FAT32 for win98, then format the d: drive with ntfs and install 2k. once had a similar problem that fixed it.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

G

well they are on seperate drives. C:\ is win98 and D:\ is win2k. Is my only option to reformatt win98 and rreinstall it all? If thats the case, I will just format with win2k and throw away win98 lol. Save the trouble, and win2k is so much smoother and better :(

G

Soneone help! What am I supposed to do? Just reformatt everything? That is totally ghey

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
What the heck is going on here? Do you have 3 user names?

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

G

Why are you using Win98 any way? Havent you heard. 98 is for pussies.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2430684,00.html" target="_new">Maybe this link will help...</A>It's a How-To from ZDNet.

Or, maybe <A HREF="http://www.cnet.com/software/0-429669-7-2020719.html?tag=st.sw.3709-7-2020716.txt.3709-7-2020719=" target="_new">this article</A> from Cnet.com

Hope that helps!

OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme? :eek: