Who even with there Pentium or Athlon has this?

LOL

Who even has ISA slots anymore?

I think its amusing to even have those on a motherboard

Mwahahahaha

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
26 answers Last reply
More about pentium athlon this
  1. also..

Anyone remember Vesa slots?
    LOL

my cousins old video card was as big as a micro atx motherboard
    well kinda

I have never seen such of a big video card in my life
    lol

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
  2. My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80. They didn't even have slots (no expansion there baby). It was powerful...a whoppig 16K. Yes 16K not 16MB. The thing has pixels the size of a freakin character. Resolution was 64 by 48 or something like that. You must know now that I am an old fart....Chris

It worked yesterday! :lol:
  3. VESA was the video standard for about 18 months, having a 32 bit bus vs. the 16 bit bus in ISA. Then came PCI, and VESA quickly disappeared.

My Abit KT7-RAID has a single ISA slot (unused), one of my Intel machines has 3 ISA slots (2 used), the other one (the oldest) has 4 ISA slots, and the docking station for my Intel notebook has 2 ISA slots as well.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
  4. hmmm

my new Athlon board doesnt even have ISA
    i think they are fading out now

5. they faded out 4 years ago

---------
    I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
  6. Yep, now we can wait and see what will happen with 64 bit PCI slots.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.
  7. 24-bit for the Vesa slot, which should have replaced the ISA slot directly, but did not.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
  8. Not quite. Certain industrial PCs still use ISA slots--particularly computer telephony servers. A lot of computer telephony hardware (Intel/Dialogic boards in particular) are still ISA. Hence why 16-ISA backplanes are still popular.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
    init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  9. My first TRS-80 was a model I, with 4K of RAM. Video resolution was 128 x 48. Cost me $200 to upgrade to 16K of RAM, and level II ROMS.

You can get TRS-80 emulators that are incredible, running all old TRS-80 software, even booting from diskette, if you have any of the old software. Being a packrat, I have my old TRS-80 software, and get a kick out of booting from a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive into TRSDOS, LDOS, or NEWDOS! I keep a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive just for the TRS-80 emulator.

In 20 years, whatever is the predominate PC, there will be an IBM emulator (X86) that will run Windows, which will run the TRS-80 emulator.

Getting dizzy thinking about it.....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
  10. Hey,
    Im still using the ISA slot on my epox 7kxa. I got my awe 64 plugged in the thing. Dont mess with ISA. It kicks butt. LOL.
  11. I've got three of them on an old AOpen AP5T with a pentium 166. Only one was ever used, for a tape back up drive, which became entirely useless to me a couple years down the road once burners became more reliable and affordable.
  12. <b>Who even has ISA slots anymore?</b>
    I do, on my Abit KT7-Raid. I'm using ModemBlaster Flash56 II DI-5601 hardware modem (from my old sysyem Pentium 200MMX), and it's still quite good.
  13. Until recently, ISA was the only way to go for hardware modems. WinModems suck, even if you are using windows. An ISA slot for my modem was one feature I looked for when I bought my last MB.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.
  14. Do you remember IBM's Microchannel Architecture? Theoretically superior to PCI, if recall correctly. I seem to remember that it would operate up to 50 mhz, unlike PCI.
  15. I remember it, ja. My father still <i>has</i> such a system--an old IBM PS/2 80386.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
  16. As do i its very very slow but runs dos 5 really really well.

SPUDMUFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:
  17. Yup, well some of us still use PS/2 keyboards and mice, legacies of those days.
  18. PS/2 keyboards and mice are the standard now. (Don't ever let anyone sell you a USB keyboard or mouse. They have stability and performance issues.)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
  19. I've never understood what the point of putting a mouse or keyboard on USB is???

In practice, there is.
  20. I know! Nothing quite like a system that refuses to recognize the USB keyboard when you have to get into the BIOS. I do like USB game controllers vs the old game port, though.
  21. Keyboard--no point. Mouse--you get a much higher sampling rate on mouse data, which translates to much smoother motion.

Thus why the Razor Boomslang mouse is primarily USB.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
  22. Dont forget the Razer Boomslang is 2000dpi, whereas a normal mouse is like 400.

---------
    I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
  23. >Keyboard--no point. Mouse--you get a much higher sampling
    >rate on mouse data, which translates to much smoother
    >motion.

Is it really noticable?
    Moving to a PS2 optical mouse was great, I don't notice any jerkiness at all now. I can't imagine USB making it any better, but I haven't tried it.

In practice, there is.
  24. I actually get more jerky behavior with USB. It seems to have latency issues.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
  25. ISA rules
  26. I don't have an ISA on my athlon but I wish I did because I'm still using my 56k ISA supra modem. Currently I have the modem in an older computer which is the server for my LAN. And that modem is probably the best damn piece of equipment I have ever bought. No other piece of equipment have I dragged on and will probably continue to drag on other than that 56k ISA modem. Thing works like a champ bringing in more than 5kb/sec on downloads and handling phone pick-ups quite nicely even during data transfers.

And just for your amusement, here's the specs on my kick-butt LAN server:

-AMD K6 233Mhz on a VIA chipset supporting USB and SDRAM (woohoo! good for another few years!)
    -128MB PC100 RAM (recently downgraded to PC100 from PC133 cause I needed the PC133 for my parent's duron for better performance)
    -Western Digital 850MB IDE Hard Drive
    -Western Digital 1.2GB Hard Drive
    (Total Hard drive space 2GB)
    -1.44MB floppy (taken off an old 386 go floppy go!)
    -Diamond Supra 56k ISA Voice Modem (was K56flex but flashed up to v.90)
    -Trident 4MB 9850 video card (upgrade from a Diamond 2MB video card which was an upgrade from a Trident 1MB video card)
    -3COM ISA Network Card supporting 10mbps
    -cheesed up 24X CD-ROM which doesn't work too well, but good enough
    -cheap AT case with 200watt power supply (why don't the make quality cheap cases like they used to?)
    -14" SVGA Monitor (taken from a AST 486...oh yeah)

And that piece of junk of a server is running Windows 2000, can you believe it? It works as my router, extra dependable disk space for backing up important files, and a internet browser if my client computers aren't working. I'm almost convinced it is the best computer in my house right now simply because it NEVER breaks down. [Or maybe that's just because it just sits there...then again all computers just 'sit there'...or do they?]

What! You got a new <i>computer</i>!!! Those are the best and most useful room heaters.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Mercury Pentium