Sign in with
Your question

Who even with there Pentium or Athlon has this?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2001 10:55:57 PM

LOL

Who even has ISA slots anymore?

I think its amusing to even have those on a motherboard

Mwahahahaha

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

More about : pentium athlon

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2001 10:57:02 PM

also..

Anyone remember Vesa slots?
LOL

my cousins old video card was as big as a micro atx motherboard
well kinda

I have never seen such of a big video card in my life
lol

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
April 26, 2001 11:07:01 PM

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80. They didn't even have slots (no expansion there baby). It was powerful...a whoppig 16K. Yes 16K not 16MB. The thing has pixels the size of a freakin character. Resolution was 64 by 48 or something like that. You must know now that I am an old fart....Chris

It worked yesterday! :lol: 
Related resources
April 26, 2001 11:09:39 PM

VESA was the video standard for about 18 months, having a 32 bit bus vs. the 16 bit bus in ISA. Then came PCI, and VESA quickly disappeared.

My Abit KT7-RAID has a single ISA slot (unused), one of my Intel machines has 3 ISA slots (2 used), the other one (the oldest) has 4 ISA slots, and the docking station for my Intel notebook has 2 ISA slots as well.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2001 11:16:38 PM

hmmm

my new Athlon board doesnt even have ISA
i think they are fading out now

April 26, 2001 11:19:00 PM

they faded out 4 years ago

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
April 26, 2001 11:22:36 PM

Yep, now we can wait and see what will happen with 64 bit PCI slots.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2001 12:26:59 AM

24-bit for the Vesa slot, which should have replaced the ISA slot directly, but did not.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
April 27, 2001 12:38:56 AM

Not quite. Certain industrial PCs still use ISA slots--particularly computer telephony servers. A lot of computer telephony hardware (Intel/Dialogic boards in particular) are still ISA. Hence why 16-ISA backplanes are still popular.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
April 27, 2001 1:16:51 AM

My first TRS-80 was a model I, with 4K of RAM. Video resolution was 128 x 48. Cost me $200 to upgrade to 16K of RAM, and level II ROMS.

You can get TRS-80 emulators that are incredible, running all old TRS-80 software, even booting from diskette, if you have any of the old software. Being a packrat, I have my old TRS-80 software, and get a kick out of booting from a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive into TRSDOS, LDOS, or NEWDOS! I keep a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive just for the TRS-80 emulator.

In 20 years, whatever is the predominate PC, there will be an IBM emulator (X86) that will run Windows, which will run the TRS-80 emulator.

Getting dizzy thinking about it.....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2001 3:06:06 AM

Hey,
Im still using the ISA slot on my epox 7kxa. I got my awe 64 plugged in the thing. Dont mess with ISA. It kicks butt. LOL.
April 27, 2001 3:20:12 AM

I've got three of them on an old AOpen AP5T with a pentium 166. Only one was ever used, for a tape back up drive, which became entirely useless to me a couple years down the road once burners became more reliable and affordable.
April 27, 2001 8:21:27 AM

<b>Who even has ISA slots anymore?</b>
I do, on my Abit KT7-Raid. I'm using ModemBlaster Flash56 II DI-5601 hardware modem (from my old sysyem Pentium 200MMX), and it's still quite good.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2001 2:17:20 PM

Until recently, ISA was the only way to go for hardware modems. WinModems suck, even if you are using windows. An ISA slot for my modem was one feature I looked for when I bought my last MB.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
April 27, 2001 6:56:27 PM

Do you remember IBM's Microchannel Architecture? Theoretically superior to PCI, if recall correctly. I seem to remember that it would operate up to 50 mhz, unlike PCI.
April 27, 2001 7:59:44 PM

I remember it, ja. My father still <i>has</i> such a system--an old IBM PS/2 80386.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2001 8:02:20 PM

As do i its very very slow but runs dos 5 really really well.

SPUDMUFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol: 
April 27, 2001 8:05:08 PM

Yup, well some of us still use PS/2 keyboards and mice, legacies of those days.
April 27, 2001 8:06:49 PM

PS/2 keyboards and mice are the standard now. (Don't ever let anyone sell you a USB keyboard or mouse. They have stability and performance issues.)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2001 8:12:28 PM

I've never understood what the point of putting a mouse or keyboard on USB is???

In practice, there is.
April 27, 2001 8:13:40 PM

I know! Nothing quite like a system that refuses to recognize the USB keyboard when you have to get into the BIOS. I do like USB game controllers vs the old game port, though.
April 27, 2001 8:27:37 PM

Keyboard--no point. Mouse--you get a much higher sampling rate on mouse data, which translates to much smoother motion.

Thus why the Razor Boomslang mouse is primarily USB.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
April 27, 2001 8:42:02 PM

Dont forget the Razer Boomslang is 2000dpi, whereas a normal mouse is like 400.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2001 8:44:31 PM

>Keyboard--no point. Mouse--you get a much higher sampling
>rate on mouse data, which translates to much smoother
>motion.

Is it really noticable?
Moving to a PS2 optical mouse was great, I don't notice any jerkiness at all now. I can't imagine USB making it any better, but I haven't tried it.

In practice, there is.
April 27, 2001 8:49:29 PM

I actually get more jerky behavior with USB. It seems to have latency issues.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2001 4:30:05 AM

ISA rules
July 11, 2001 5:02:50 AM

I don't have an ISA on my athlon but I wish I did because I'm still using my 56k ISA supra modem. Currently I have the modem in an older computer which is the server for my LAN. And that modem is probably the best damn piece of equipment I have ever bought. No other piece of equipment have I dragged on and will probably continue to drag on other than that 56k ISA modem. Thing works like a champ bringing in more than 5kb/sec on downloads and handling phone pick-ups quite nicely even during data transfers.

And just for your amusement, here's the specs on my kick-butt LAN server:

-AMD K6 233Mhz on a VIA chipset supporting USB and SDRAM (woohoo! good for another few years!)
-128MB PC100 RAM (recently downgraded to PC100 from PC133 cause I needed the PC133 for my parent's duron for better performance)
-Western Digital 850MB IDE Hard Drive
-Western Digital 1.2GB Hard Drive
(Total Hard drive space 2GB)
-1.44MB floppy (taken off an old 386 go floppy go!)
-Diamond Supra 56k ISA Voice Modem (was K56flex but flashed up to v.90)
-Trident 4MB 9850 video card (upgrade from a Diamond 2MB video card which was an upgrade from a Trident 1MB video card)
-3COM ISA Network Card supporting 10mbps
-cheesed up 24X CD-ROM which doesn't work too well, but good enough
-cheap AT case with 200watt power supply (why don't the make quality cheap cases like they used to?)
-14" SVGA Monitor (taken from a AST 486...oh yeah)

And that piece of junk of a server is running Windows 2000, can you believe it? It works as my router, extra dependable disk space for backing up important files, and a internet browser if my client computers aren't working. I'm almost convinced it is the best computer in my house right now simply because it NEVER breaks down. [Or maybe that's just because it just sits there...then again all computers just 'sit there'...or do they?]

What! You got a new <i>computer</i>!!! Those are the best and most useful room heaters.
!