Sign in with
Your question

Laptop for a parent, suggestions?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 11, 2011 12:32:41 PM

Hey guys, so my mom needs a new laptop. She is actually pretty good with computers btw. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on one she should get, thanks in advance!
Price range: $1000-1500 tops
What she'll be doing on it:
-Her job is done basically completely through the computer so it needs to be fast for common use
-She loves movies so it needs to easily handle movies and Netflix streaming
-Photoshop will be used too (I know that doesn't really require much)

What I'm thinking is something dual-core, 6gb ram, 500gb HD and a non-integrated video card

Anyone know a good deal anywhere? Thanks again
a c 244 D Laptop
February 12, 2011 8:54:14 AM

How much battery life does your mom need ?
A good option would be Dell XPS 15(With the Full HD screen,if she works a lot with PhotoShop) and will give you around 5 hours of battery life(If that's enough)
February 12, 2011 1:15:49 PM

battery life isn't too much of an issue, 5 hours would definitely be good.
The only thing, though, is the last computer she had was a Dell and she absolutely hated it. She got it about 2.5 years ago for $2,000+ and it broke on three separate occasions and even out of box was slow and laggy. So although the Dell XPS might very well be a good laptop she doesn't want another Dell (they provided her horrible customer support too).
Thanks very much for your reply though I appreciate it
Related resources
a c 244 D Laptop
February 12, 2011 3:54:37 PM

What brands do you prefer then ?
February 12, 2011 9:45:19 PM

Honestly any brand except Dell, its just the bad experience
a c 571 D Laptop
February 12, 2011 9:51:09 PM

Hello Xpyrofuryx;
Does she need a dedicated number pad?
February 12, 2011 10:06:50 PM

I really love the Acer TimelineX's. I recommend them to anyone not interested in gaming.
Replace the HDD with one of these SSDs with the extra money, she'll have an external for backups and you'll be the best son ever!
!