Orb of Detection and invisibility

My current archaeologist was disappointed to find out that the invisibility
toggling power of the Orb of Detection only works if one doesn't already
have the invisibility intrinsic, making it still necessary to use mummy
wrappings to enter stores. Does anyone think that adding this feature
would make the Orb too powerful?

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> My current archaeologist was disappointed to find out that the
>> invisibility toggling power of the Orb of Detection only works if one
>> doesn't already have the invisibility intrinsic, making it still
>> necessary to use mummy wrappings to enter stores. Does anyone think
>> that adding this feature would make the Orb too powerful?
>
> There is a diference between intrinsic and extrinsic invisibility.
>
> The first can only be lost to a gremlin; the second is caused by
> "external" things, like for example the cloak, the potion, or the Orb.
> The two are not interchangeable.

I know this. I was hoping the Orb could (temporarily) override my
intrinsic, just like a mummy wrapping does, or like wielding Grayswandir
while hallucinating does to the "hallucinating intrinsic"..

--

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> My current archaeologist was disappointed to find out that the invisibility
> toggling power of the Orb of Detection only works if one doesn't already
> have the invisibility intrinsic, making it still necessary to use mummy
> wrappings to enter stores. Does anyone think that adding this feature
> would make the Orb too powerful?

Of course not. :) But it might be considered also the other way round...
Obtaining intrinsic invisibility gives you an advantage, therefore there
is some drawback to balance it. (A similar explanation has been given to
me by the Devteam regarding teleportitis and the inability to reliably get
rid of it.)

Janis

Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).