kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Heard on the rumour mill from [H]ard|OCP that AMD will only target the workstation/server market with their 760MP chipset.

This annoys me.. as I feel that AMD is abandoning the community that brought them to where they are today, that being the overclockers and enthusiasts. While I realize and understand their need to penetrate the server market, I don't think they should leave the rest of us who are anxiously waiting for SMP out in the cold. At a rumuored price of $400US for a mobo it puts it out reach for alot of people (I live in Canada and no way in hell am I paying $600+ dollars for a motherboard).

Again, this is all rumour.. but if it turns out to be true it'll be a sad day for all of us..

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt there is much truth in this. Wouldn't make much sense. Sure, dual AMD systems will penetrate the corporate server market first, but they will make their way to everyday users.

<font color=red>Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?</font color=red>

G

I thought i read a RUMOR somewhere (sorry too much good stuuf) that AMD had plans for a SMP DURON as well as high end gear. dont worry, cause if this is true ABIT wont let us down. Ummm just a thought.... dual durons vs. P4/nerdwood....cool cant wait.

G

The Motherboard for the 760MP chipset will be costing approximately 300USD to start but there is no way AMD can control the pricing that comes from the motherboard manufacturers. You can only hope that competition will drive the pricing downward afterwards, which is the trend but is unfortunate if you want one as soon as this comes out.
But I hear you about the exchange-what a killer. So you're looking at 465$CDN

G

This may be the case, but I'm sure as soon as AMD rolls out the 760MP, the Taiwanise manufacturers will have it reverse engineered and will release far cheaper versions. This is, after all, the case with Intel chips.

As far as I've heard, the Palomino Athlon will be the only chip certified for SMP. However, just like the Celeron, the Duron may be SMP-capable, and so might the Thunderbird. We'll just have to wait and see, although they will at least be keeping socket A for the Palomino.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah bro, now I'll sell my car and go buy some dirt-cheap Xeon mobo with almos-free $800-per-cpu 850Mhz Xeon processors. How nice that you can get slowest avalible dual-Xeons (formally P3 with Slot2 connector) and mobo as cheap as $2500. Obviously unbeatable price/performance...

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you are not to bright, most ppl who will buy a Xeon have a buisness and/or profession and would write off any cost at tax time.

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 04/27/01 02:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The price of most all dual chip boards is not cheap. The only real cheap dual boards that I have ever seen are from Abit, the old BP6(440 BX) dual Celeron and the VP6(VIA) dual P3 board. And by cheap I mean under $200. Most dual boards are well over $200, for the simple fact that they are intended for use in workstations and mid-entry level servers, not home PC's. Also dual boards are not often made in mass quantities like most single chip boards. There just isnt the demand for them. Standard rule, dual chips, dual price.

Somebody call Guinness. I'm about to go zero to drunk in <b>twenty dollars!</b>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Targeting dula cpu boards at workstation/server market?

Okay, you want to build a dual cpu system - what is it other than a workstation or server? The definition of a workstation in my book is a pc that has greatly enhanced capability, stability and capacity v.s. a generic home pc.

If you are building dual cpu machines that are not workstations I sugesst you re-think why you are doing it.

A dual cpu machine is not just another cpu, it is a whole different kettle of fish. Intel have a very long history of multi-cpu systems and AMD have got a very tough time on their hands to make a go of it. I really hope they do a good solution that is stable, but I'm not betting the farm on it just yet. It is not easy and they are coming from a long way back. SMP AMD is not a technology I'll be jumping into as soon as the boards launch.

What'll really sort the men from the boys is when Intel leverage their considerable SMP with the P4 in a desktop and how AMD will stack up, esp. since the P4 will likely ship 2Ghz at that point. 4Ghz in one box is a lot of horsepower, especially when the manufacturer wrote the book on economy SMP....

I'll still be using an AMD for my single cpu systems, until Intel convince me they give better value.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details