'Tried 'Dell Chat' for tech support? It's just swell.

Oh. Sorry. 'Rhymes with "swell" -- Charu Gupta, my chatter, sent
me to two dead links after failing to answer my way-difficult
question ("I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton Int. Sec., can't
find it on your "Tools" CD where "Antivirus software" is listed
on the label. Where is it?")

Charu sez Dell Chat has only just started and there are ... well
.... problems.

Like trotting out vapor-service before even a whiff of the stuff
is ready?

'Same old story with just about anything connected with
computers: the "Service Economy" -- it's the one where there is
no service. I applaud any effort to improve this situation. I
don't mind the automation or the bad English. I will use FAQ.
Etc. But don't throw this mess at service-starved customers who
are already wasting enough time getting your stuff to run.
6 answers Last reply
More about tried dell chat tech support swell

    Dell Chat is new. When you were new, you weren't fully developed either.

    While you're waiting for Dell Chat to get up to speed, have you thought of
    trying the Dell Community Forums? They are an outstanding source of good
    information about Dell computers. Dell employees moderate the Forums and
    often answer questions. In addition, there are some mighty sharp users who
    help out.

    The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked your
    question and gotten answer. I find the web site a little slow, but in every
    other way the Forums are great. Check them out.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message news:Ik9Wc.17165$rP2.2443@hydra.nntpserver.com...

    > The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked your
    > question and gotten answer.

    FWIW, the default/simple search appears to be "for one or more
    of the words" you enter, rather than "zero or more words" or the
    highly preferable "all the words". The following url should take
    you directly to a usefull search page:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?type=Message&advanced=true&page_size=50

    To go directly to the forums:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=top

    Walking the Dell site for info is kinda a PITA.

    And Mom didn't let me drive the car, etc. -- for just that
    reason. If it ain't ready for prime time, reschedule it.

    Again, as I said, I applaud the effort. That's why I tried it. I
    am willing to work with automated service. Even phone menuing. I
    understand the need for FAQ and scripts, etc.

    But making me wait ten minutes for a response only to wait ten
    more minutes to find out I'm in the role of beta tester -- no. I
    had a simple question with a simple answer (please see 8-23-04
    post "Advice for 4600 owners on 'Tools' reinstall") and no need
    to waste my time online waiting for Dell to develop.

    What in the WORLD are you talking about?

    > What in the WORLD are you talking about?

    I'm sorry, Tom, but this entire thread about Dell's new "Chat support"
    is visible here, starting with:

    "Tried 'Dell Chat' for tech support? It's just swell" 8-22-04:

    Oh. Sorry. 'Rhymes with "swell" -- Charu Gupta, my chatter, sent
    me to two dead links after failing to answer my way-difficult
    question ("I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton Int. Sec., can't
    find it on your "Tools" CD where "Antivirus software" is listed
    on the label. Where is it?")

    Charu sez Dell Chat has only just started and there are ... well
    .... problems.

    Like trotting out vapor-service before even a whiff of the stuff
    is ready?

    'Same old story with just about anything connected with
    computers: the "Service Economy" -- it's the one where there is
    no service. I applaud any effort to improve this situation. I
    don't mind the automation or the bad English. I will use FAQ.
    Etc. But don't throw this mess at service-starved customers who
    are already wasting enough time getting your stuff to run.

    Ted Z. aka "Rocky" replied same day:

    Dell Chat is new. When you were new, you weren't fully developed
    either.

    While you're waiting for Dell Chat to get up to speed, have you
    thought of
    trying the Dell Community Forums? They are an outstanding source of
    good
    information about Dell computers. Dell employees moderate the Forums
    and
    often answer questions. In addition, there are some mighty sharp users
    who
    help out.

    The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked
    your
    question and gotten answer. I find the web site a little slow, but in
    every
    other way the Forums are great. Check them out.

    Ted Zieglar

    and I answered with what you read in "Not ready for prime time": "And
    Mom didn't let me ..." blah.

    I just assumed the thread was as available to you as it is to me.
    'Guess I'll never figure out that I *must* include all previous
    messages in any post, I just don't like unnecessary scrolling to 'get
    to the bottom' of things.

    > What in the WORLD are you talking about?
    >

    > "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
    >>

    >> And Mom didn't let me drive the car, etc. -- for just that
    >> reason. If it ain't ready for prime time, reschedule it.
    >>
    >> Again, as I said, I applaud the effort. That's why I tried it. I
    >> am willing to work with automated service. Even phone menuing. I
    >> understand the need for FAQ and scripts, etc.
    >>
    >> But making me wait ten minutes for a response only to wait ten
    >> more minutes to find out I'm in the role of beta tester -- no. I
    >> had a simple question with a simple answer (please see 8-23-04
    >> post "Advice for 4600 owners on 'Tools' reinstall") and no need
    >> to waste my time online waiting for Dell to develop.

    There were NO quotes in the post. You CANNOT assume that all servers (or
    users) still have the posts available.

    QUOTE!
    >> What in the WORLD are you talking about?
    >

    > I'm sorry, Tom, but this entire thread about Dell's new "Chat support" is
    > visible here, starting with:
    >
    > "Tried 'Dell Chat' for tech support? It's just swell" 8-22-04:
    >
    > Oh. Sorry. 'Rhymes with "swell" -- Charu Gupta, my chatter, sent
    > me to two dead links after failing to answer my way-difficult
    > question ("I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton Int. Sec., can't
    > find it on your "Tools" CD where "Antivirus software" is listed
    > on the label. Where is it?")
    >
    > Charu sez Dell Chat has only just started and there are ... well
    > ... problems.
    >
    > Like trotting out vapor-service before even a whiff of the stuff
    > is ready?
    >
    > 'Same old story with just about anything connected with
    > computers: the "Service Economy" -- it's the one where there is
    > no service. I applaud any effort to improve this situation. I
    > don't mind the automation or the bad English. I will use FAQ.
    > Etc. But don't throw this mess at service-starved customers who
    > are already wasting enough time getting your stuff to run.
    >

    > Ted Z. aka "Rocky" replied same day:
    >

    > Dell Chat is new. When you were new, you weren't fully developed either.
    >
    > While you're waiting for Dell Chat to get up to speed, have you thought of
    > trying the Dell Community Forums? They are an outstanding source of good
    > information about Dell computers. Dell employees moderate the Forums and
    > often answer questions. In addition, there are some mighty sharp users who
    > help out.
    >
    > The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked your
    > question and gotten answer. I find the web site a little slow, but in
    > every
    > other way the Forums are great. Check them out.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > and I answered with what you read in "Not ready for prime time": "And Mom
    > didn't let me ..." blah.
    >
    > I just assumed the thread was as available to you as it is to me. 'Guess
    > I'll never figure out that I *must* include all previous messages in any
    > post, I just don't like unnecessary scrolling to 'get to the bottom' of
    > things.

    >> What in the WORLD are you talking about?
    >>

    >> "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> And Mom didn't let me drive the car, etc. -- for just that
    >>> reason. If it ain't ready for prime time, reschedule it.
    >>>
    >>> Again, as I said, I applaud the effort. That's why I tried it. I
    >>> am willing to work with automated service. Even phone menuing. I
    >>> understand the need for FAQ and scripts, etc.
    >>>
    >>> But making me wait ten minutes for a response only to wait ten
    >>> more minutes to find out I'm in the role of beta tester -- no. I
    >>> had a simple question with a simple answer (please see 8-23-04
    >>> post "Advice for 4600 owners on 'Tools' reinstall") and no need
    >>> to waste my time online waiting for Dell to develop.

Dell Support Computers