Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

'Tried 'Dell Chat' for tech support? It's just swell.

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:51:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Oh. Sorry. 'Rhymes with "swell" -- Charu Gupta, my chatter, sent
me to two dead links after failing to answer my way-difficult
question ("I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton Int. Sec., can't
find it on your "Tools" CD where "Antivirus software" is listed
on the label. Where is it?")

Charu sez Dell Chat has only just started and there are ... well
.... problems.

Like trotting out vapor-service before even a whiff of the stuff
is ready?

'Same old story with just about anything connected with
computers: the "Service Economy" -- it's the one where there is
no service. I applaud any effort to improve this situation. I
don't mind the automation or the bad English. I will use FAQ.
Etc. But don't throw this mess at service-starved customers who
are already wasting enough time getting your stuff to run.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:43:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dell Chat is new. When you were new, you weren't fully developed either.

While you're waiting for Dell Chat to get up to speed, have you thought of
trying the Dell Community Forums? They are an outstanding source of good
information about Dell computers. Dell employees moderate the Forums and
often answer questions. In addition, there are some mighty sharp users who
help out.

The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked your
question and gotten answer. I find the web site a little slow, but in every
other way the Forums are great. Check them out.

Ted Zieglar

"Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
news:G7Wdnajc0tfDmrTcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
> Oh. Sorry. 'Rhymes with "swell" -- Charu Gupta, my chatter, sent
> me to two dead links after failing to answer my way-difficult
> question ("I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton Int. Sec., can't
> find it on your "Tools" CD where "Antivirus software" is listed
> on the label. Where is it?")
>
> Charu sez Dell Chat has only just started and there are ... well
> ... problems.
>
> Like trotting out vapor-service before even a whiff of the stuff
> is ready?
>
> 'Same old story with just about anything connected with
> computers: the "Service Economy" -- it's the one where there is
> no service. I applaud any effort to improve this situation. I
> don't mind the automation or the bad English. I will use FAQ.
> Etc. But don't throw this mess at service-starved customers who
> are already wasting enough time getting your stuff to run.
>
>
>
August 22, 2004 11:04:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message news:Ik9Wc.17165$rP2.2443@hydra.nntpserver.com...

> The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked your
> question and gotten answer.

FWIW, the default/simple search appears to be "for one or more
of the words" you enter, rather than "zero or more words" or the
highly preferable "all the words". The following url should take
you directly to a usefull search page:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?type=Mes...

To go directly to the forums:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=top

Walking the Dell site for info is kinda a PITA.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 2:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

And Mom didn't let me drive the car, etc. -- for just that
reason. If it ain't ready for prime time, reschedule it.

Again, as I said, I applaud the effort. That's why I tried it. I
am willing to work with automated service. Even phone menuing. I
understand the need for FAQ and scripts, etc.

But making me wait ten minutes for a response only to wait ten
more minutes to find out I'm in the role of beta tester -- no. I
had a simple question with a simple answer (please see 8-23-04
post "Advice for 4600 owners on 'Tools' reinstall") and no need
to waste my time online waiting for Dell to develop.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:14:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

What in the WORLD are you talking about?


"Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
news:CYednd77T8lnlbfcRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>
>
> And Mom didn't let me drive the car, etc. -- for just that
> reason. If it ain't ready for prime time, reschedule it.
>
> Again, as I said, I applaud the effort. That's why I tried it. I
> am willing to work with automated service. Even phone menuing. I
> understand the need for FAQ and scripts, etc.
>
> But making me wait ten minutes for a response only to wait ten
> more minutes to find out I'm in the role of beta tester -- no. I
> had a simple question with a simple answer (please see 8-23-04
> post "Advice for 4600 owners on 'Tools' reinstall") and no need
> to waste my time online waiting for Dell to develop.
>
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 2:39:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:C8KdnS4Aaa88w7fcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
> What in the WORLD are you talking about?


I'm sorry, Tom, but this entire thread about Dell's new "Chat support"
is visible here, starting with:

"Tried 'Dell Chat' for tech support? It's just swell" 8-22-04:

Oh. Sorry. 'Rhymes with "swell" -- Charu Gupta, my chatter, sent
me to two dead links after failing to answer my way-difficult
question ("I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton Int. Sec., can't
find it on your "Tools" CD where "Antivirus software" is listed
on the label. Where is it?")

Charu sez Dell Chat has only just started and there are ... well
.... problems.

Like trotting out vapor-service before even a whiff of the stuff
is ready?

'Same old story with just about anything connected with
computers: the "Service Economy" -- it's the one where there is
no service. I applaud any effort to improve this situation. I
don't mind the automation or the bad English. I will use FAQ.
Etc. But don't throw this mess at service-starved customers who
are already wasting enough time getting your stuff to run.


Ted Z. aka "Rocky" replied same day:


Dell Chat is new. When you were new, you weren't fully developed
either.

While you're waiting for Dell Chat to get up to speed, have you
thought of
trying the Dell Community Forums? They are an outstanding source of
good
information about Dell computers. Dell employees moderate the Forums
and
often answer questions. In addition, there are some mighty sharp users
who
help out.

The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked
your
question and gotten answer. I find the web site a little slow, but in
every
other way the Forums are great. Check them out.

Ted Zieglar


and I answered with what you read in "Not ready for prime time": "And
Mom didn't let me ..." blah.

I just assumed the thread was as available to you as it is to me.
'Guess I'll never figure out that I *must* include all previous
messages in any post, I just don't like unnecessary scrolling to 'get
to the bottom' of things.


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:C8KdnS4Aaa88w7fcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
> What in the WORLD are you talking about?
>
>
> "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
> news:CYednd77T8lnlbfcRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>>
>>
>> And Mom didn't let me drive the car, etc. -- for just that
>> reason. If it ain't ready for prime time, reschedule it.
>>
>> Again, as I said, I applaud the effort. That's why I tried it. I
>> am willing to work with automated service. Even phone menuing. I
>> understand the need for FAQ and scripts, etc.
>>
>> But making me wait ten minutes for a response only to wait ten
>> more minutes to find out I'm in the role of beta tester -- no. I
>> had a simple question with a simple answer (please see 8-23-04
>> post "Advice for 4600 owners on 'Tools' reinstall") and no need
>> to waste my time online waiting for Dell to develop.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 7:48:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

There were NO quotes in the post. You CANNOT assume that all servers (or
users) still have the posts available.

QUOTE!
"Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
news:iaudnWV_aYfmE6ncRVn-sg@comcast.com...
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:C8KdnS4Aaa88w7fcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
>> What in the WORLD are you talking about?
>
>
> I'm sorry, Tom, but this entire thread about Dell's new "Chat support" is
> visible here, starting with:
>
> "Tried 'Dell Chat' for tech support? It's just swell" 8-22-04:
>
> Oh. Sorry. 'Rhymes with "swell" -- Charu Gupta, my chatter, sent
> me to two dead links after failing to answer my way-difficult
> question ("I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton Int. Sec., can't
> find it on your "Tools" CD where "Antivirus software" is listed
> on the label. Where is it?")
>
> Charu sez Dell Chat has only just started and there are ... well
> ... problems.
>
> Like trotting out vapor-service before even a whiff of the stuff
> is ready?
>
> 'Same old story with just about anything connected with
> computers: the "Service Economy" -- it's the one where there is
> no service. I applaud any effort to improve this situation. I
> don't mind the automation or the bad English. I will use FAQ.
> Etc. But don't throw this mess at service-starved customers who
> are already wasting enough time getting your stuff to run.
>
>
> Ted Z. aka "Rocky" replied same day:
>
>
> Dell Chat is new. When you were new, you weren't fully developed either.
>
> While you're waiting for Dell Chat to get up to speed, have you thought of
> trying the Dell Community Forums? They are an outstanding source of good
> information about Dell computers. Dell employees moderate the Forums and
> often answer questions. In addition, there are some mighty sharp users who
> help out.
>
> The Forums are searchable, so you can see if someone else has asked your
> question and gotten answer. I find the web site a little slow, but in
> every
> other way the Forums are great. Check them out.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
>
> and I answered with what you read in "Not ready for prime time": "And Mom
> didn't let me ..." blah.
>
> I just assumed the thread was as available to you as it is to me. 'Guess
> I'll never figure out that I *must* include all previous messages in any
> post, I just don't like unnecessary scrolling to 'get to the bottom' of
> things.
>
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:C8KdnS4Aaa88w7fcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
>> What in the WORLD are you talking about?
>>
>>
>> "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
>> news:CYednd77T8lnlbfcRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>>>
>>>
>>> And Mom didn't let me drive the car, etc. -- for just that
>>> reason. If it ain't ready for prime time, reschedule it.
>>>
>>> Again, as I said, I applaud the effort. That's why I tried it. I
>>> am willing to work with automated service. Even phone menuing. I
>>> understand the need for FAQ and scripts, etc.
>>>
>>> But making me wait ten minutes for a response only to wait ten
>>> more minutes to find out I'm in the role of beta tester -- no. I
>>> had a simple question with a simple answer (please see 8-23-04
>>> post "Advice for 4600 owners on 'Tools' reinstall") and no need
>>> to waste my time online waiting for Dell to develop.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!