Items used by pets

What kind of items will an (intelligent) pet used if I happen to drop one
for it ?

The same as any monsters (which should be armors, weapons, certain
scrolls, potions and wands) or also other things ? (such as rings or
amulets)

If I drop an amulet of reflection for my pet, will it take it and use it ?

On the armor side, will it use as many as possible (that would be a shirt,
a (dragon) suit, a cloak, boots, gloves, helmet and a shield) ?

Will it get blast by not co-aligned intelligent artifacts ? Will it even
try to wield one ? Or should I only left non-aligned artifacts for it ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

I don't believe dogs or cats will use anything (other than eating
food). I think they have to be more intelligent to actually use
things. Are you talking about pets other than those?

tiny k

You can swipe a pet's weapon by (a)pplying a bullwhip.

On Sat, 25 Feb 2005, tiny k wrote:

> I don't believe dogs or cats will use anything (other than eating
> food). I think they have to be more intelligent to actually use
> things. Are you talking about pets other than those?

Yes. I will probably burn a wish for a blessed figurine of an archon
before going to Hell. I was wondering if he should use my spare amulet of
reflection or if I aslo should wish for a SDSM if I want him to have
reflection (well, not sure he would even need that actually...)

I have material (scales) to build a BDSM but intend to genocide D's (just
to be sure) and so won't have anything to build a SDSM for my pet.

And similarly for rings, if I drop usefull rings, will he use them (say
two rings of increase damage...)

And will he wear (for exemple) gauntlet of power rather than leather
gloves if he had the choice, or will he simply choose the best enchanted
disponible armor for each type of armor ?

Also, I have four artefact weapons, wondering if he would grab them or not
Or maybe he is even generated with one ? Well apparently, artefact
spoiler says so, so that remove the problem of the weapon :)
Well not exactly, if I want to enchant his sword (a +7 demonbane would
definitely be good in Hell) what should I do ? Will he read scrolls of
enchant weapon ? Or should I try to take the sword from him (how ? Giving
him something else ?), get blasted by it in the way (cross-aligned),
enchant it and give it again to him ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:

> Yes. I will probably burn a wish for a blessed figurine of an archon
> before going to Hell. I was wondering if he should use my spare
> amulet of reflection or if I aslo should wish for a SDSM if I want
> him to have reflection (well, not sure he would even need that
> actually...)

Archons are nice and do make one of the best pets, bit i prefer angels
myself especially if i want to give my pets GSDM. An Archon does not
wear body armor. On the planes however, it doesn't really matter
since the only use for MR is so that the pets don't poly or lvl port
on a trap. (and in the old versions i swear this only worked if you
were in LOS)

> I have material (scales) to build a BDSM but intend to genocide D's
> (just to be sure) and so won't have anything to build a SDSM for my
> pet.
Best thing for A's are shield of reflection and a AoLS. Then you can
use any body armor with a high AC.(if not Archon). same with cloak.
(now you have a reason for using that +5 platemail and +4 mummy robes
you found lying around.

> And similarly for rings, if I drop usefull rings, will he use them
> (say two rings of increase damage...)

No

> And will he wear (for exemple) gauntlet of power rather than leather
> gloves if he had the choice, or will he simply choose the best
> enchanted disponible armor for each type of armor ?

He will wear it, but it doesn't have any effect besides ac. Another
use for that +3 GoF.

> Also, I have four artefact weapons, wondering if he would grab them
> or not Or maybe he is even generated with one ? Well apparently,
> artefact spoiler says so, so that remove the problem of the weapon
> :) Well not exactly, if I want to enchant his sword (a +7 demonbane
> would definitely be good in Hell) what should I do ? Will he read
> scrolls of enchant weapon ? Or should I try to take the sword from
> him (how ? Giving him something else ?), get blasted by it in the
> way (cross-aligned), enchant it and give it again to him ?

Yes, that is the only way. Apply a bull whip to get the sword away
from them.

Saying all this, the hassle is usually not worth it. There are so many
ways to lose your pet or make him less effective that i don't bother
maxing a pets equipment. I just throw him my spare junk if and he
lives fine, but if he gets lost or dies i don't bother with them. I
just charm a new one.

Jorge

Jym wrote:

> What kind of items will an (intelligent) pet used if I happen to drop
one
> for it ?
> Will it get blast by not co-aligned intelligent artifacts ? Will it
even
> try to wield one ? Or should I only left non-aligned artifacts for it
?

Pets will pick up and wield co-aligned and un-aligned
artifacts but not cross-aligned artifacts. I suspect
this means it's a great idea to end up with some
cross-aligned powerfull pets. Have Stormbringer but
can't use Excalibur without getting blasted? That
lawfull pet archon will take care of the issue. Hmm,
I wonder if this is true of Excal in particular since
it has extra features ...