[S] Some comments

Some thoughts that have come to me while playing slashem lately:

(1) The artifact keys should behave more like the other artifacts
required to win the game- i.e. cant be put in containers/indestructable.
If you were to destroy them (say a boh, /oC accident) before opening
the doors in Vlad's tower, you would make the game unwinnable
(2) You really should be able to wish for "protection" to improve
ublessed by 1- so that if you have your armor all the way enchanted,
and have wishes to burn, you can put them to use..
(3) Since minions dont pick things up, it would be nice if you could give
them things- i.e. take their weapon, improve it, and give it back,
or give them a unicorn horn so they can remedy confusion/blindness etc
(4) You really should be able to apply a unicorn horn to other
creatures besides yourself-- a confused Monadic Deva of Quezacoatl
can prove a grave danger to a level 10 character...
(5) You should have some time to get out of water before you drown
(as mentioned before)
(6) You should be able to sacrifice cross-aligned artifacts that you find
to your god, decreasing the artifact count in the game (thus making
you more likely to get an artifact from saccing) as well as acting
like a high value sacrifice in general.
(7) Its odd that lawful minions will kill peaceful co-alligned angelic
beings. You would think they would leave them alone.
(8) If sufficiently skilled in two-weapon combat, you should
be able to strike two adjacent monsters at once, one with each weapon
(by pressing some other key, then entering two directions).
This would be primarily for situations where you are surrounded by many
weak monsters, i.e. insects summoned around you.

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Janne Vieri wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> Andrew D. Hilton wrote:

>>> [about sacrificing cross-aligned artifacts]

>> Why would a god appreciate something that is
>> worthless to you?

> Gods do appreciate worthless corpses, so why not
> worthless artifacts?

But gods appreciate valuable corpses as well, and
receive them undistinguished from how they receive
the worthless ones, so to make Andrew's suggestion
consistent, gods would have to accept the sacrifice
of co-aligned artifacts, and the first time a PC
drops Grayswander to BUC ID it, while dropping a
corpse to sacrifice it, and then sacrifices the
sword instead by accident, a great wailing will be
heard in the heavens, and the cries for a triple
level keyboard defense against doing that by
accident will pour in to the DevTeam.

Let's not go there in the first place.

HTH

xanthian.

Andrew D. Hilton <adhilton@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> (3) Since minions dont pick things up, it would be nice if you could give
> them things- i.e. take their weapon, improve it, and give it back,
> or give them a unicorn horn so they can remedy confusion/blindness etc

This annoyed me in my last game -- my minion had a poly accident,
dropped everything, then upon reverting never reequipped itself. It
died shortly afterwords.

--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they

Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

On 2005-02-26, Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
>> (6) You should be able to sacrifice cross-aligned artifacts
>> that you find to your god, decreasing the artifact count in the
>> game (thus making you more likely to get an artifact from
>> saccing) as well as acting like a high value sacrifice in
>> general.
>
> Why would a god appreciate something that is worthless to you?

Well, in the nethack mythos, each god is trying to gain dominance over
the other two-- offering a chaotic artifact to your lawful god basically
decreases the prescence of "powerful things of chaos" on earth, relatively
increasing the power of law.
(Also, more pragmatically, that way you cant just throw back each
gift from your god till you get what you want)

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student