MN-500 support and security problem

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
November 4, 2004 6:52:23 PM

I have an MN-500 base station that I just purchased a few
months ago. I'm having a security problem but when I
went online for help from Microsoft the support page only
shows an MN-700 base station and no mention of my four
month old hardware. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Whenever I have a power interruption on my base station
or have to reset it, the base station loses all of its
configurations: password, WEP key, everything. Instead
it reboots as an unsecured network called MSHOME that
anyone can access. The last time this happened, my wife
operated the network for almost three weeks unsecured! I
have to rerun the setup wizard and type in all the
password and security information again. This means
retyping the old WEP key so the other computers on the
network can work.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and how to avoid it?
I don't mind resetting but the fact that the base station
reboots as an unsecure network is very disconcerting.

Also if anyone from Microsoft reads this why can't I get
support on a product I bought four months ago?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 4, 2004 8:23:04 PM

You should not need to "reset" the base station at all. Even if you power
it down, it will retain what it is programmed to do. The problem is when
you "reset" you're manually wiping out the information which has been stored
in the previous set-up you did.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"mhoehn9587" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an MN-500 base station that I just purchased a few
> months ago. I'm having a security problem but when I
> went online for help from Microsoft the support page only
> shows an MN-700 base station and no mention of my four
> month old hardware. I'm hoping someone here can help.
>
> Whenever I have a power interruption on my base station
> or have to reset it, the base station loses all of its
> configurations: password, WEP key, everything. Instead
> it reboots as an unsecured network called MSHOME that
> anyone can access. The last time this happened, my wife
> operated the network for almost three weeks unsecured! I
> have to rerun the setup wizard and type in all the
> password and security information again. This means
> retyping the old WEP key so the other computers on the
> network can work.
>
> Can anyone tell me why this happens and how to avoid it?
> I don't mind resetting but the fact that the base station
> reboots as an unsecure network is very disconcerting.
>
> Also if anyone from Microsoft reads this why can't I get
> support on a product I bought four months ago?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 8, 2004 7:19:39 PM

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You should not need to "reset" the base station at all. Even if you power
> it down, it will retain what it is programmed to do. The problem is when
> you "reset" you're manually wiping out the information which has been
stored
> in the previous set-up you did.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "mhoehn9587" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Whenever I have a power interruption on my base station
> > or have to reset it, the base station loses all of its
> > configurations: password, WEP key, everything. Instead
> > it reboots as an unsecured network called MSHOME that
> > anyone can access. The last time this happened, my wife
> > operated the network for almost three weeks unsecured! I
> > have to rerun the setup wizard and type in all the
> > password and security information again. This means
> > retyping the old WEP key so the other computers on the
> > network can work.

I have the same problems. I've encountered several momentary power outages
recently and each time I discover that the MN-500 has reverted to the
default, unsecured, MSHOME factory settings. Trying to restore the settings
from the saved backup file in the management section does not restore the
security settings nor the SSID that I have set manually.

There is no obvious alert condition indicated following one of these
incidents. As my primary PC is CAT5 attached to the MN-500 I don't realise
that I've had a problem until my daughter complains of losing the wifi
connection to her PC. Meanwhile the whole neighborhood has had unrestricted
access to my LAN and broadband connection.

It may not be what is supposed to happen, but it is happening without
deliberately resetting the unit.

a b 8 Security
November 8, 2004 7:19:40 PM

Yes, power outages could cause that, Bill. I'd suggest perhaps using a
protected power strip so the base station won't be tripped. If such outages
are frequent in your area, you may need to contact your power company.
--

"Bill K." <billkirk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You should not need to "reset" the base station at all. Even if you
>> power
>> it down, it will retain what it is programmed to do. The problem is when
>> you "reset" you're manually wiping out the information which has been
> stored
>> in the previous set-up you did.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "mhoehn9587" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>

>> > Whenever I have a power interruption on my base station
>> > or have to reset it, the base station loses all of its
>> > configurations: password, WEP key, everything. Instead
>> > it reboots as an unsecured network called MSHOME that
>> > anyone can access. The last time this happened, my wife
>> > operated the network for almost three weeks unsecured! I
>> > have to rerun the setup wizard and type in all the
>> > password and security information again. This means
>> > retyping the old WEP key so the other computers on the
>> > network can work.
>> >

> I have the same problems. I've encountered several momentary power outages
> recently and each time I discover that the MN-500 has reverted to the
> default, unsecured, MSHOME factory settings. Trying to restore the
> settings
> from the saved backup file in the management section does not restore the
> security settings nor the SSID that I have set manually.
>

> There is no obvious alert condition indicated following one of these
> incidents. As my primary PC is CAT5 attached to the MN-500 I don't realise
> that I've had a problem until my daughter complains of losing the wifi
> connection to her PC. Meanwhile the whole neighborhood has had
> unrestricted
> access to my LAN and broadband connection.
>

> It may not be what is supposed to happen, but it is happening without
> deliberately resetting the unit.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 9, 2004 5:40:00 PM

What's the difference between "powering down" on the MN-500, and a
neighborhood power supply outage? If the MN-500 will, as you say, retain
what it is programmed to do, why doesn't it?

It's "expert advice" like your's that makes time spent on these newsgroups a
total waste of effort. If you don't know what you're talking about, then let
an MVP knowledgeable in the topic answer the questions...

Like, I'm really going to have words with the power company over my
Microsoft Access Point losing its memory when the wind blows down a
powerline to my suburb. If you haven't something sensible to state, then
DON'T WASTE THE BANDWIDTH with inane replies.

The issue is a security problem that the access point is meant to guard
against, and it doesn't when the simplest of issues occurs.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o TsvJPexEHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Yes, power outages could cause that, Bill. I'd suggest perhaps using a
> protected power strip so the base station won't be tripped. If such
outages
> are frequent in your area, you may need to contact your power company.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Bill K." <billkirk@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> You should not need to "reset" the base station at all. Even if you
> >> power
> >> it down, it will retain what it is programmed to do. The problem is
when
> >> you "reset" you're manually wiping out the information which has been
> > stored
> >> in the previous set-up you did.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>

> >> "mhoehn9587" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > I have the same problems. I've encountered several momentary power
outages
> > recently and each time I discover that the MN-500 has reverted to the
> > default, unsecured, MSHOME factory settings. Trying to restore the
> > settings
> > from the saved backup file in the management section does not restore
the
> > security settings nor the SSID that I have set manually.
> >

> > There is no obvious alert condition indicated following one of these
> > incidents. As my primary PC is CAT5 attached to the MN-500 I don't
realise
> > that I've had a problem until my daughter complains of losing the wifi
> > connection to her PC. Meanwhile the whole neighborhood has had
> > unrestricted
> > access to my LAN and broadband connection.
> >

> > It may not be what is supposed to happen, but it is happening without
> > deliberately resetting the unit.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 9, 2004 5:40:01 PM

Sorry, Bill. I gave you a valid response. There is a difference between
the flickering power outage and powering down the base station. I'll try to
keep in mind not to attempt to assist you in the future.
--

!