accursed

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I'm building my first computer. In my research some say you need to format your hard drive before installing XP Pro and others say just enable boot from cd-rom and xp will format a new hard drive and do everything else. Do I need to make a boot disc and format or not? I currently have Windows ME, will a boot disc from that work? How? My intended setup is P4 2.4, Asus P4PE, 512 Corsair 3500, with 80 gig Western digital special edition. Any help will be appreciated. P

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
No need to make anything except the time to do it, XP does the rest :wink: .
Run the CD within WinME and let it show you the way or alternatively set the CD-rom as first boot device in bios then it does exactly the same setup from there anyway.
It will show you options along the way within the setup to format whatever partitions are available. You should have at least a 5Gb partition or drive space available to install XP which allows for updates etc.( I make mine 8 ~ 10GB)

If you have any important data on that 80Gb drive you should save it somewhere else as the whole drive will be formatted unless you make a new partition using Partition magic 7 or 8 and just copy and paste all your good stuff to that new partition. Then in XP setup you choose the drive you wish to install too and do a full format in either NTFS or Fat32 file systems.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=326" target="_new"> Scotty's Toys</A> :smile: