What the Devteam might be up to

Here, as near as I can determine, are the dates of the various NetHack
releases since 3.0.0 and the number of days between them:

3.0.0 1989 Jul 23
3.0.1 1989 Aug 3 11
3.0.2 1989 Aug 18 15
3.0.3 1989 Sep 7 20
3.0.4 1989 Sep 19 12
3.0.5 1989 Oct 17 28
3.0.6 1989 Nov 22 36
3.0.7 1990 Feb 23 93
3.0.8 1990 Jun 5 102
3.0.9 1990 Jun 28 23
3.0.10 1991 Feb 8 225
3.1.0 1993 Jan 28 711
3.1.1 1993 Mar 5 36
3.1.2 1993 Jun 10 97
3.1.3 1993 Jul 20 40
3.2.0 1996 Apr 18 1003
3.2.1 1996 Jun 20 63
3.2.2 1996 Dec 12 175
3.2.3 1999 Dec 10 (1093)
3.3.0 1999 Dec 10 1093
3.3.1 2000 Aug 10 244
3.4.0 2002 Mar 20 587
3.4.1 2003 Feb 23 340
3.4.2 2003 Aug 31 189
3.4.3 2003 Dec 8 99

For versions through 3.1.3, these are the dates of their first appearance in
net.sources, net.sources.games or comp.sources.games. For later versions,
these are the dates of the Devteam's announcements.

3.2.3 was an anomaly, a quick bugfix thrown out on the same day as 3.3.0 to
deal with some Y2K problems. If we disregard 3.2.3, a definite pattern
emerges in the release intervals:

* The longest interval to a 3.x.y+1 release was 340 days, between 3.4.0
and 3.4.1.

* The shortest interval to a 3.x+1.0 release was 587 days, between 3.3.1
and 3.4.0.

As I write these words on 2005 Feb 26, it is now 446 days since the last
release, well past an expected time for a 3.4.4.

Conclusion: expect to see 3.5.0 sometime between late this year and the end
of next year.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
The War on Terra is not meant to be won.

Ray Chason wrote:

> Here, as near as I can determine, are the dates of the various NetHack
> releases since 3.0.0 and the number of days between them:

Using your numbers, and summarising:

Days between 3.x.0 releases:

3.0.0 1989 Jul 23
3.1.0 1993 Jan 28 1276 days
3.2.0 1996 Apr 18 1176 days
3.3.0 1999 Dec 10 1331 days
3.4.0 2002 Mar 20 831 days

Average in the past 1154 days
Current wait period 1074 days

3.4 has been around for a while, now, but it's not as if a next release
should be due in short time.

Days between stable 3.x releases and the next 3.x+1.0 release:

3.0.10 1991 Feb 8
3.1.0 1993 Jan 28 711 days
3.2.0 1996 Apr 18 1003 days
3.3.0 1999 Dec 10 1093 days
3.4.0 2002 Mar 20 587 days

Average in the past 849 days
Current wait period 446 days

A 3.5 update could still be a long time away, according to these
figures.

Days to reach the stable version of 3.x (3.2.3 ignored):

3.0.0 1989 Jul 23
3.0.10 1991 Feb 8 565
3.1.0 1993 Jan 28
3.1.3 1993 Jul 20 173
3.2.0 1996 Apr 18
3.2.2 1996 Dec 12 238
3.3.0 1999 Dec 10
3.3.1 2000 Aug 10 244
3.4.0 2002 Mar 20
3.4.3 2003 Dec 8 628

Average in the past 462 days
Current wait period 1074 days

I wouldn't expect a 3.4.x version anymore.

> Conclusion: expect to see 3.5.0 sometime between late this year and
> the end of next year.

I will believe it when I see it... I am wary of drawing any conclusions
at all as to the workings of the Dev Team...

;-)

Happy Hacking!

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Ray Chason <johnnyreb.5@southland.smart.net.SPAMMEN.VERBOTEN> writes:
> Here, as near as I can determine, are the dates of the various NetHack
> releases since 3.0.0 and the number of days between them:

> 3.0.4 1989 Sep 19 12

> For versions through 3.1.3, these are the dates of their first appearance in
> net.sources, net.sources.games or comp.sources.games. For later versions,
> these are the dates of the Devteam's announcements.

I (at http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/anhftime.html ) have
1989-09-29 for 3.0.4; do you have some other source for your date
than Message-ID: <4627@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM>, or is this just a typo?
(Other discrepancies on the list can be ascribed to differences of
opinion over timezone, but this one's ten days.)

: "You boil it in sawdust: you salt it in glue: / You condense it with :
: locusts and tape: / Still keeping one principal object in view -- / :
: To preserve its symmetrical shape." [ Lewis Carroll, "THotS" ] :

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

> Ray Chason <johnnyreb.5@southland.smart.net.SPAMMEN.VERBOTEN> writes:
>> Here, as near as I can determine, are the dates of the various NetHack
>> releases since 3.0.0 and the number of days between them:
>
>> 3.0.4 1989 Sep 19 12
>
>> For versions through 3.1.3, these are the dates of their first appearance
>> in
>> net.sources, net.sources.games or comp.sources.games. For later
>> versions, these are the dates of the Devteam's announcements.
>
> I (at http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/anhftime.html ) have
> 1989-09-29 for 3.0.4; do you have some other source for your date
> than Message-ID: <4627@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM>, or is this just a typo?
> (Other discrepancies on the list can be ascribed to differences of
> opinion over timezone, but this one's ten days.)

OK, my bad, must be a typo. So make that:

3.0.3   1989 Sep  7      20
3.0.4   1989 Sep 29      22
3.0.5   1989 Oct 17      18