Sign in with
Your question

What are peoples stance on applications that check for updates?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2013 6:06:36 PM

What are peoples stance on applications that check for updates?

How frequently is acceptable?
- Never
- Every launch
- Once an hour
- Once a day
- Once a week
- Longer?

Bear in mind that applications that do this usually connect to a host on the Internet to check if there is a newer version.

What about Steam, etc?

More about : peoples stance applications check updates

January 16, 2013 6:23:34 PM

Applications should have a setting that allows the user to turn it on or off and set the schedule. For something like an antivirus program I want to check for updates very often, but for something like VMWare Player once a week is plenty for me.
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2013 6:25:28 PM

That depends on what it is (how much I trust it), and how much spare CPU power and RAM I've got. I leave Anti-virus updates turned on, always. On a weaker system, I turn most of the other stuff off, and perform manual checks at my convenience. If it's from Google, I turn it off and check manually, or just install fresh, making sure to inspect privacy settings afterwards.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 16, 2013 6:29:18 PM

They annoy me.

Especially the ones that spawn a service just to check for updates (Adobe Acrobat reader, and many others)

So how frequently is acceptable? hmm, I guess whenever I tell them to would cover it
January 16, 2013 7:21:21 PM

Screw having a service just to do something simple.
It's not the sort of thing that requires even pulling 1KB from a web/Internet server.
!