Not bad for a first...

My first Slash'em character ever:

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name Hp
[max]
1 36239 Kroisos-Fla-Orc-Fem-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom
on level 8. Killed by an air elemental of Fire. -
[86]
Hit <Enter> to end.

Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
their altars...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

> My first Slash'em character ever:
>
> You made the top ten list!
>
> No Points Name Hp
> [max]
> 1 36239 Kroisos-Fla-Orc-Fem-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom
> on level 8. Killed by an air elemental of Fire. -
> [86]
> Hit <Enter> to end.

Well done, and welcome to slashem. You've just taken your first steps
into a darker, wierder world.

> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
> their altars...

Oh yes, it makes for some fun low-level bones files I can tell you.

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message news:<cvvf6q$dpg$1@news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>...
> My first Slash'em character ever:
>
> You made the top ten list!
>
> No Points Name Hp
> [max]
> 1 36239 Kroisos-Fla-Orc-Fem-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom
> on level 8. Killed by an air elemental of Fire. -
> [86]
> Hit <Enter> to end.
>
> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
> their altars...

Some time ago (1 year?) there was a Slash'em YAAP of a guy who was playing
it for the first time when he ascended...
I understood how unusual that was later, after months of playing slashem
and never getting to the castle (although I've ascended in nethack 4 or
5 times). Slash'em really is a lot tougher.

Boudewijn Waijers schrieb:
> My first Slash'em character ever:
>
> You made the top ten list!
>
> No Points Name Hp
> [max]
> 1 36239 Kroisos-Fla-Orc-Fem-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom
> on level 8. Killed by an air elemental of Fire. -
> [86]
> Hit <Enter> to end.
>
> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
> their altars...

Well, now you *do* know... When you convert an altar as a low-level
character, you sometimes get away with it. Later, you'll typically get
two succubi, which is not too bad either. But as your PC grows, the
toughness of monsters that the offended god sends in, grows too.
However, there may be always a chance that he doesn't send anything -
the behaviour of the game is a bit erratic there, so I could not quite
figure things out beyond the mentioned trends.

--
Klaus Kassner

Klaus Kassner wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers schrieb:

>> My first Slash'em character ever:

My next characters didn't make it that far, by the way. A samurai that
was ambushed at the minetown altar (crossaligned) by four fire ants. I
got four shots at them with a wand of magic missile before they ganged
up on me... The other was even shorter lived, and was killed by a rothe.

>> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
>> their altars...

> Well, now you *do* know... When you convert an altar as a low-level
> character, you sometimes get away with it. Later, you'll typically
> get two succubi, which is not too bad either. But as your PC grows,
> the toughness of monsters that the offended god sends in, grows too.
> However, there may be always a chance that he doesn't send anything -
> the behaviour of the game is a bit erratic there, so I could not quite
> figure things out beyond the mentioned trends.

Ah. I seemed to recall that I had also converted that altar on level 1,
but I thought I must have been mistaken here. Not I know I didn't
misremember, but I guess I was just lucky there.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> 1 36239 Kroisos-Fla-Orc-Fem-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom
> on level 8. Killed by an air elemental of Fire. -
>
> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
> their altars...

Perhaps this will help you:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/93c178c839a2911a?hl=en&lr=

That being said, slash'em isn't too bad. If you can ascend a tourist in
Nethack, you should be able to ascend more than a few classes in
Slash'em.

Just remember, almost everything is twisted, almost everything is evil,
and most things will do a great job in trying to kill you.

--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
> their altars...

They do in vanilla nethack as well. In my latest game with a samurai
Susanowo(?) sent a vrock to punish me. Not very successfully though.

--
Daniel Sjöblom
Remove _NOSPAM to reply by mail

Jesse Meyer wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
>> their altars...

> Perhaps this will help you:

Well, it says nothing about altars and converting them...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/93c178c839a2911a?hl=en&lr=

Ah yes, I remember that from when it was first posted... It contains the
famous quote:

Commercial games want you to win.
NetHack doesn't care if you win or lose.
Slash'em wants you DEAD.

Was that the first time someone (Rob Ellwood, in this case) posted this?

> Just remember, almost everything is twisted, almost everything is
> evil, and most things will do a great job in trying to kill you.

Hey, I've been reading and posting to this newsgroup for about ten
years, so I've seen the rise of Slash. :)

--

Daniel Sjöblom wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> Little did I know that in Slash'em, gods actually mind if you convert
>> their altars...

> They do in vanilla nethack as well. In my latest game with a samurai
> Susanowo(?) sent a vrock to punish me. Not very successfully though.

I don't think this was in response to a succesful conversion of her
altar, though. In vanilla, there are other things that make a diety send
down a minion.

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Daniel Sjöblom wrote:
>>They do in vanilla nethack as well. In my latest game with a samurai
>>Susanowo(?) sent a vrock to punish me. Not very successfully though.
>
> I don't think this was in response to a succesful conversion of her
> altar, though. In vanilla, there are other things that make a diety send
> down a minion.

It was in response to a succesful conversion, although it is not very
common. I actually checked the source, and it says (in pray.c, around
line 1400):

if (rnl(u.ulevel) > 6 && u.ualign.record > 0 &&
rnd(u.ualign.record) > (3*ALIGNLIM)/4)
summon_minion(altaralign, TRUE);

If I understood rnl correctly, having good luck decreases the chance of
a minion, and of course you need to be of fairly high level, a
combination which is quite uncommon. And then there is the alignment
check, although I don't know if it is common or uncommon to be that "pious".

PS. Is Susanowo a she?

--

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Sj=F6blom?= <dsjoblom@mbnet.fi_NOSPAM> wrote:
>PS. Is Susanowo a she?

Susanowo and Raijin are male; Amaterasu Omikami is female.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html