[YAFAP] Jym-Mon-Hum-Fem-Neu

So, I finally made it :)

I've been playing a bit many months ago, for a total duration of about 2
months, mainly rangers then monks. Almost never reached sokoban or mine's
end. Then I quit playing for about 6 months and came back to it about 1
months ago. Playing many monks and a few wizards.

Croos-aligned altar at DL1, soon converted. Huge general shop at DL3, let
my pet steal everything I could use and find a scroll of genocide. Soon
blessed and kept safe, i just like these Weapons of Mass Destruction :)

Mine's entrance at DL4, both DL5 were bones files, so a lot of good stuff
(I already knew scrolls of remove curse), including two other scrolls of
genocide [Yeah, I had a guy killed will carriying a scroll of genocide...
But it was a blessed one and I was attacked by elves :-(], bag of holding
and amulet of reflection. I tried to take everything out of my BoH and so
loose many wands in the process. Probably nothing I had missed later as I
don't remember any game where I had wands of, say, wishing or death.

Altar at minetown was crossaligned, gave a lot of money to the priest and
went to naked AC around 2 or 3. My pet got polymorphed into a
baluchiterion via a polytrap, I let him kill every shokeeper (including
Ichtzak, shame on me) but not approach the priest. Oh, yes, by that time,
I already had found speed boots and 4 magic markers (1 at beginning, 2 in
bones, 1 at minetown). So I fooproofed and +4/5 all my armor for a global
AC around -20.

Mine's end was catacomb, met a vampire there and wiped out all V's before
he could even touch me. While going up the mines, I met a gargoyle and
wiped out g's [bad memories of a winged gagoyle, plus don't want to loose
any intrisic...]

My baluchiterion got wild in the mines because of a level teleporter
sending me too far away (and me not rushing to get it back). Oh, I alos
found a magic whistle in the mines. Found blessed magic lamp, decided to
go for the wish and choosed the Orb of fate for half damage. I definitely
think that was a very wise move.
[strangly, many of my wizards (almost 1 out of 4 or 5 I'll say) had early
wishs while none of my previous monk had]

Level below oracle held a coaligned temple, sokoban gave me another bag of
holding. I tamed a cat, polymorphed it into a pit fiend. Back to minetown,
ask my pit fiend to ask the priest to give me back my money... Back to the
coaligned temple, donate, donate, AC -25. Base camp 2 in the temple (1 was
at DL4 the mine's entrance).

Found a bit later a potion of gain ability, blessed, it... So the reason
why those giant corpse and lump of royal jelly didn't do anything was that
ring of sustain ability I'm wearing... :-(

Going below sokoban for the first time, found another altar (can't remeber
if I had to convert this one) and 2 cross-aligned temple. Don't know
weither I should kill my co-aligned priest to donate to the other, finally
decided not to.

DL20 help a magic trap and (another !) coaligned altar. DL 21 was Medusa.
So I decided to play with the trap for CHA boost, established base camp 3
near the trap. Walk, sit, monsters, kill, offer, pray, ... That trap last
for a very long time, only gave me +1 CHA but a lot of monsters, so a lot
of equipement (2 potions of gain level) and sacrifices, and prayer. Get
crowned, got the tune for the castle, got Ogresmasher and Giantsbane.
Mjollnir was already acquired previously and was my main weapon. Vorpy was
found in a bone file and giantsbane allowed me to go to basic in swords.

During that trap-dancing, I summoned a nurse very early. That was the
first time I had the possibility to go for a valse with a nurse [I mean,
in Nethack] and I was quite impressed by the result... Later, I summoned a
demiliches, dispatched it quickly and wondered what was so awfull about
Ls. Then, I summoned a Lich who destroyed my speed boots. Wiped out all
L's.

Going up for some new boots, elven, plus -1 levitation (kept the elven,
drop the levitation at base camp), also found some gauntlet of dexterity
in the armor shop (but they were at +0 so it took me at least two walks up
and down to think and enchant them and find out they are dexterity...)

Spellbook of detect treasure allowed me to got all the gold I can. But
fort Ludios was not accessible. During one of those up/down walk, I made
my first big error: after crossing base camp 2 in the coaligned temple, I
run into someone, killed him and came back for sacrifice. Woops, those
chameleon are considered to be human, that altar is no more coaligned and
the priest angry. And my protection gone. Well, at least I had my money
back and could buy a bit new protection on the lower priests.

Back to Meduse, my pit fiend got killed by a purple worm (buurp) (nasty
beasts !). There was also a magic trap there, so I started playing a
little there do, thinking about genociding ;'s to cross Medusa... When I
felt into a trapdoor and went directly below Medusa, with all my stuff
(including scroll of genocide and boots of levitation) on the other side
of both Medusa and the water...

After double-checking that reflection was enough to protect from Medusa, I
went up to try and explain her that she was no match for my Mjollnir. She
quickly agreed. Found levitation boots in Perseus (lucky !). Killed the
eel via fireballs. That was fun... Until I started being hungry and far
away from my food... Well, I managed it anyway, and went back to my stuff.

Going further down, another cross-aligned temple, a maze level with a
polytrap, castle. Back to the polytrap, Black dragon. 4 babies (should
have make more). Back to the castle.

A bit of drawbridge fun until someone break it. Big battle in the open and
the entrance room (did not thin of going back in the maze...) At some
point, a master mind flayer got summoned. Wiped out all h's (last scroll
of genocide I had, all my magic markers were empty). 3 babies got killed
during the batlle. Battle in the throne room was easier. Last baby killed
by an angel. First encounter with an angel, those are definitely though
opponents.

Take the wand of wishihg, back to higher levels to think calmly. Scrolls
of charging, speed boots, helm of brilliance. Charge markers, write
scrolls. Tried to reverse genocide incubus... finally turn in reverse
genociding nurses. Enchant armor. Genocide D's

Back to the castle... Find a pair of speed boots in one of the backrooms
:-((

During all that time, a lot of offering/praying. Got almost all useful
spellbooks, including create familair, cancelation, polymorph.

A bit of polypiling, rings of conflict, polymorph, amulet of magical
breathing.

Back to the quest, fumble with a level teleporter at quest level 2, going
directly to Master Kaen's level ! Not too hard battle, killed Kaen with
Mojo, got the Eyes, the Bell, a Xorn pet and an earth elemental pet (the
later was killed during going up). Back to the castle.

During the quest, second big mistake involving a wand of cancelation and
my main bag of holding... Fortunately I had a second one waiting at base
camp 3.

Down. Kill monster, find items, polypile a bit. Asmodeux was on second
level, Juiblex was summoned at that level (and was no trouble) Asmodeus
went down quickly. Somewhere, I lost my Xorn. Somewhere else I polypiled a
spellbook of magic mapping :)

Down, down, kill, kill, dig between stairs. Orcus was no trouble (his wand
of death exploded with the first blast of Mjollnir). I charmed almost all
trolls I met and finished with many Olog-Ai and mountain trolls followers
:) Vlad's tower was easy. Found a second amulet of live-saving somewhere.

Last level, find the vibrating square. Level teleport (via the Orb) at
level 1 and prepare the run. Make a pile of gems near the stair up, a few
last prayers for holy water.

Back to the Wizard tower, confuse charm monsters in the zoo. zap wand of
death (1:5, the only one I had) to kill Rodney.

Back to the Square, light, ring, read. Going down, apply my figurine for a
pet archon (a pet olog-ai was still here).
Kill, kill, kill to the sanctum. Find door, enter, kill, kill, #name the
Amulet. Archon was killed by a purple worm (I *hate* those).

Run, run, run. Teleport away monster whenever someone summon them.
Mysterious force was a real annoyance when it shows up (about 5 times in a
row) but leave me alone often (about 10 times in a row). Rodney made me
use a few more charges from my wand of death. Back in the dungeon, run,
run, run. Rodney was a pain once (double trouble, plus wand of death
always missing, mut kill one with Mojo).

Back at level 1,find out that my last scroll of genocide got wet somewhere
and won't be usable against ;'s at water.

Wish for a last Archon, take all the gems with me (that is all those that
have not dissapeared with my bag of holding...)

Earth was easy (my second wand of death took care of Rodney easily and the
out portal was near the entrance). On air, I summoned my Archon. Air
elemntals were annoying but could not really arm me. On water, I changed
my amulet of reflection for one of magical breathing. No trouble.

Astral, I appeared on the right, so tried there. Famine. Kill. wrong
altar. Famine. Hungry. Kill. Eat. Charm a few monsters in the way. Central
path. Death. Send my angels in front. Went they made enough room, I
entered. Death made me loose 50 max HPs, I avoid it and ran for the altar.
Wrong. Avoiding Death on the way back too (and charming a lot of monsters.
Left. Pestilence. Never close enough to arm me. Lot of monsters summoned,
I was stuck in the corridor with an ant beside me an Pestilence after that
:) Good protection from a Rider :) No more power for charming things,
kill angles, advance slowly (only when I manage to kill what was in from
of me on a free move and move before someone lese came...)

Did not thing to put my ring of conflict. Finally reached the Altar (that
damn priest did not want to move from it !) Last sacrifice of the game.
Invisible choir sings.

-----
4 .4.|
---------54-- ---
|.@RA'zE|)[.-- --
|.H.OA.E|.55.---%
|...@H'A'waT%@[%
|q.@O.%.|3.%.---% `
|H.U.P.H|.5.-- --
5---------..-- ----|---
3...5 ...| | --
----- | )
------

Jym the Student of Fire St:18/** Dx:23 Co:18 In:23 Wi:23 Ch:18
Neutral
Astral Plane $:1755 HP:299(354) Pw:18(279) AC:-29 Xp:28/80028909 T:93703

Amulets
r - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
U - an uncursed amulet of reflection (being worn)
Weapons
K - the rustproof +7 Mjollnir (weapon in hand)
Y - 3 cursed greased rusty +0 daggers (alternate weapon; not wielded)
[only used for forcing boxes]
Armor
a - an uncursed fireproof +4 robe (being worn)
g - an uncursed fireproof +5 pair of levitation boots
G - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
I - a blessed rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
N - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
Q - a blessed fireproof +5 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
Comestibles
q - 5 uncursed food rations
Scrolls
H - a cursed scroll of blank paper
Spellbooks
l - the uncursed Book of the Dead
Potions
n - a potion of holy water
Rings
b - an uncursed rusty ring of slow digestion (on left hand)
D - a cursed ring of free action (on right hand)
Wands
t - a wand of death (1:0)
u - a rusty wand of cancellation (0:6)
y - a wand of lightning (0:0)
z - a wand of wishing (1:0)
[did not manage to get that last wish out of it]
A - a wand of digging (0:3)
E - a cursed wand of probing (0:5)
V - a cursed wand of teleportation (0:4)
Z - a wand of speed monster (0:1)
Tools
c - a blessed bag of holding named goodies
d - a cursed very rusty stethoscope
i - the Bell of Opening (0:2)
j - the blessed Eyes of the Overworld (being worn)
p - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (no candles attached)
v - a blessed +5 unicorn horn
O - the blessed Orb of Fate (0:0)
S - a cursed sack named Backup
X - an uncursed magic whistle
Gems
M - a blessed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding named goodies:

107 gold pieces
an uncursed amulet of life saving
an uncursed amulet of life saving
the rustproof +0 Ogresmasher
the rustproof +0 Giantslayer
2 uncursed lizard corpses
[1 scroll of charing, lot of useless ones]
3 potions of holy water
an uncursed potion of gain ability
4 uncursed potions of water
an uncursed ring of regeneration
an uncursed ring of conflict
a cursed rusty wand of death (1:0)
[lot of other wands]
a tinning kit (0:46)
6 uncursed tallow candles
an uncursed towel
a horn of plenty (0:20)
[lot of gems]

Final Attributes:
You were the Envoy of Balance.
You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible.
You were warned.
You had automatic searching.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You had teleport control.
You had slower digestion.
You were protected.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
You had free action.
You were very lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived.

[Don't understand how I lost telepathy (2 times).]

Vanquished creatures:

Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Yeenoghu <- will running up Gehennom
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (5 times)
Famine <- No Death, no Pestilence :)
Master Kaen
6 mastodons
Medusa
8 krakens
2 Archons
4 red dragons
a white dragon
2 black dragons
a blue dragon
a yellow dragon
[So many dragons before I wiped them ?]
19 minotaurs
9 jabberwocks
10 baluchitheria
17 Angels
a demilich
Vlad the Impaler
9 stone golems
a master mind flayer
15 Olog-hai
2 Nazguls
14 pit fiends
3 Aleaxes
4 sharks
7 electric eels
49 wraiths <- Maybe 4 or 5 level up, including 2 on Astral.
11 giant eels
5 white unicorns
2 gray unicorns
7 black unicorns

3493 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:
gremlins
gargoyles
winged gargoyles
hobbits
dwarves
bugbears
dwarf lords
dwarf kings
mind flayers
master mind flayers
baby gray dragons
baby silver dragons
baby red dragons
baby white dragons
baby orange dragons
baby black dragons
baby blue dragons
baby green dragons
baby yellow dragons
gray dragons
silver dragons
red dragons
white dragons
orange dragons
black dragons
blue dragons
green dragons
yellow dragons
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
vampires
vampire lords

34 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:
You genocided 34 types of monsters.
You used 8 wishes.

[not exactly a "conduct game"...

You went to your reward with 4362984 points,
Ogresmasher (worth 200 zorkmids and 500 points)
Giantslayer (worth 200 zorkmids and 500 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
Mjollnir (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Orb of Fate (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
9 jasper stones (worth 4500 zorkmids),
6 emeralds (worth 15000 zorkmids),
6 agate stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
5 turquoise stones (worth 10000 zorkmids),
5 amber stones (worth 5000 zorkmids),
4 diamonds (worth 16000 zorkmids),
4 rubies (worth 14000 zorkmids),
4 jet stones (worth 3400 zorkmids),
4 fluorite stones (worth 1600 zorkmids),
3 jade stones (worth 900 zorkmids),
2 black opals (worth 5000 zorkmids),
2 citrine stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
2 aquamarine stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
2 topaz stones (worth 1800 zorkmids),
2 obsidian stones (worth 400 zorkmids),
1 dilithium crystal (worth 4500 zorkmids),
1 jacinth stone (worth 3250 zorkmids),
1 sapphire (worth 3000 zorkmids),
1 opal (worth 800 zorkmids),
1 amethyst stone (worth 600 zorkmids),
2 amulets of life saving (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 1862 pieces of gold, after 93703 moves.
You were level 28 with a maximum of 354 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name Hp
[max]
1 4362984 jym-Mon-Hum-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood. 299
[354]
[was 420/430 max HPs before the planes and Death !]

I think now I'll either stop for a while or try a wizard.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Well done Jym I see you made it. Was Ghenom anything like you imagined?

Jym wrote:

> Croos-aligned altar at DL1, soon converted.

I find an early alter is one of the biggest factors in how likely I am
to do well in a game

> My pet got polymorphed into a
> baluchiterion via a polytrap, I let him kill every shokeeper
(including
> Ichtzak, shame on me) but not approach the priest. O

Big q's are my favorite pets, especially mastadons. They can kill most
things, they are quiet fast and more important leave behind the
corpses. And you can feed them peanuts, or you could if peanuts were in
the game (YANI).

> Level below oracle held a coaligned temple, sokoban gave me another
bag of
> holding. I tamed a cat, polymorphed it into a pit fiend. B

All this before Soke, you have been busy

> DL20 help a magic trap and (another !) coaligned altar.

I love alters next to magic traps

> Later, I summoned a
> demiliches, dispatched it quickly and wondered what was so awfull
about
> Ls. Then, I summoned a Lich who destroyed my speed boots. Wiped out
all
> L's.

They get worse, much much worse. In my last game I had just dispatched
a black dragon, not being disintigration res I eat it. Mid snack 2 arch
liches turned up, (can one summon another or is there just a fair
chance of meeting two in the same Ghenom level?). I was very tooled at
the time and they couldn't do much to me so I disrespect the L and keep
on eating. Next thing I know I have a MMF, green slime, minotaur and a
black dragon stood next to me withother assorted nasties in the
distance. I could stand a chance of fighting most of them but the green
slimes scares me rigid so I teleport to the up stairs. Chase one of the
liches up and summon my mastadon. The 2nd lich summons other assorted
nasties and yet another back dragon. This immediately disintigrates my
mastadon, hits me and takes out my cloak of displacement and GSDM. I
was wearing "oLS not reflection. Now I have an arch lich next to me,
various nasties around me including the dragon, no pets, no magic res
and a arch lich waiting for me upstairs. To cut a long story short I
get through it with only the loss the armour and 6 pts of intel and a
renewed respect for liches

Moral of the story, never disrespect the L.

> Spellbook of detect treasure allowed me to got all the gold I can.
But
> fort Ludios was not accessible.

I like Ludious and for one would vote for it to be in every game

> Back to the castle... Find a pair of speed boots in one of the
backrooms
> :-((

Always check the armoury in the castle before using your wishes

> Back to the Square, light, ring, read. Going down, apply my figurine
for a
> pet archon (a pet olog-ai was still here).
> Kill, kill, kill to the sanctum. Find door, enter, kill, kill, #name
the
> Amulet. Archon was killed by a purple worm (I *hate* those).

Engulfing creatures are deadly to pets. I loose so many good pets to
worms and trappers. Now if I see a w or t I make a beeline for it, to
kill it before it can get near my pet.

> Earth was easy (my second wand of death took care of Rodney easily
and the
> out portal was near the entrance). On air, I summoned my Archon. Air
> elemntals were annoying but could not really arm me.

I found this except for my last ascension run when they pulverised me
and I had to use 3 !oFH just to get across. The reason was that that
time I didn't have conflict and I was burdened (crystal ball) so just
about every elemental on the plane had a taste of me.

> Did not thing to put my ring of conflict. Finally reached the Altar
(that
> damn priest did not want to move from it !) Last sacrifice of the
game.
> Invisible choir sings.
>
> I think now I'll either stop for a while or try a wizard.

He he he. I think we all must say something similar after our first
ascension. I lasted two days before I was playing again. Very well
done, ascending the first time below the Soke.

Marc

If you find it dull try some conducts or SATAP's. I generally don't gen
anything, except maybe h's because relearning everything, especially if
your not a spellcaster, can be a pain.

Also some of the other classes can be interesting, though at high level
with enough preperation all are a match for what you can find in the
labyrinths.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
By the way, it's "Gehennom", not "Ghenom".

I am always getting that wrong

> Perhaps this will teach you why all veterans in this newsgroup advise
> you to wear an amulet of reflection instead of life saving. The
latter
> will save your life, the first will save your life many times by
keeping your equipment and wands alive.

Yes that's one of the lessons I learnt this time around. Though you can
gaurantee next time I go down there I will mistype and step into a moat
or something similar.

> >> The reason was that that time I didn't have conflict and I was
> >> burdened (crystal ball) so just about every elemental on the plane
> >> had a taste of me.
>
> Why didn't you leave it behind? After you've located the portal, what
do
> you still need if for?

I needed it to locate the portal on the plane of water

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Lichen Fodder wrote:

> Well done Jym I see you made it. Was Ghenom anything like you imagined?

No. Not really. It was kind of boring. Reading spoilers and YAAP, I
imagined something really awfull with a lot of nasty needed long and
cautious thinking before every single move. I just came in, charmed a few
monsters and killed everything with Mojo. Not a bit of thinking.
Just had to swap to fireballs for ;s and wand of death for Rodney. Having
Astral vision (later magic mapping) and detect treasure (plus pick-axe)
made me just go for the goodies and crush everything in sight without
thinking.

I guess, having wiping Ls, Vs, Ds and hs before setting a foot in Gehennom
probably made the things much much more easier than they could have
been...

I took me about 6h of play-time between the first time in Gehennom and the
end of the ascension.

Globally, I've found the early game (until Sokoban or Medusa) quite hard
and challenging but the late game (except for astral plane) was kinda
"kill them all until they're dead". As in many other computer RPG actually
(eg Might and Magic 3, 4, 5, Neverwinter Nights,...) I should probably try
a genofree game sometime :)

> > Croos-aligned altar at DL1, soon converted.
>
> I find an early alter is one of the biggest factors in how likely I am
> to do well in a game

Yes, offering + praying + holy water is *good. Especially holy water in
the early game (blessed id).

> Big q's are my favorite pets, especially mastadons. They can kill most
> things, they are quiet fast and more important leave behind the
> corpses. And you can feed them peanuts, or you could if peanuts were in
> the game (YANI).

Then you could hear more sounds reminding an elephant and peanuts (what's
that exact message ?)...

> > Level below oracle held a coaligned temple, sokoban gave me another
> > bag of holding. I tamed a cat, polymorphed it into a pit fiend. B
>
> All this before Soke, you have been busy

I like going to the mine (at least to minetown for the altar if no other
found) before Sokoban. Even low-levels characters can go if they know a
bit about fighting. I've send more than a level 1 monk in the mines, even
at XL 1 a monk can kill a Gnome with a single blow, going straight to XL 3
in less than 10 turns in the mines!

> > Later, I summoned a demiliches, dispatched it quickly and wondered
> > what was so awfull about Ls. Then, I summoned a Lich who destroyed my
> > speed boots. Wiped out all L's.
>
> They get worse, much much worse. In my last game I had just dispatched
> a black dragon, not being disintigration res I eat it. Mid snack 2 arch
> liches turned up, (can one summon another or is there just a fair
> chance of meeting two in the same Ghenom level?). I was very tooled at
> the time and they couldn't do much to me so I disrespect the L and keep
> on eating. Next thing I know I have a MMF, green slime, minotaur and a
> black dragon stood next to me withother assorted nasties in the
> distance. I could stand a chance of fighting most of them but the green
> slimes scares me rigid so I teleport to the up stairs. Chase one of the
> liches up and summon my mastadon. The 2nd lich summons other assorted
> nasties and yet another back dragon. This immediately disintigrates my
> mastadon, hits me and takes out my cloak of displacement and GSDM. I
> was wearing "oLS not reflection. Now I have an arch lich next to me,
> various nasties around me including the dragon, no pets, no magic res
> and a arch lich waiting for me upstairs. To cut a long story short I
> get through it with only the loss the armour and 6 pts of intel and a
> renewed respect for liches
>
> Moral of the story, never disrespect the L.

Yes. Actually, one of my previous PC met a Liche at minesend graveyard.
and was quickly dispatched by 2 dragons and assorted monsters...

> > Back to the castle... Find a pair of speed boots in one of the
> > backrooms :-((
>
> Always check the armoury in the castle before using your wishes

Yes, I was quite nervous at that time and wanted my AK as soon as
possible. I prefered to go up to safety (the Orb does level teleport) for
wishes and thinking rather than stay in the Castle and clean it up. Well,
as I didn't miss wishes in the end (even wished for an amulet of ESP to
find Asmodeus before I start understanding the attack pattern of
demon-lords...) that's not a big trouble.

> > Earth was easy (my second wand of death took care of Rodney easily
> > and the
> > out portal was near the entrance). On air, I summoned my Archon. Air
> > elemntals were annoying but could not really arm me.
>
> I found this except for my last ascension run when they pulverised me
> and I had to use 3 !oFH just to get across. The reason was that that
> time I didn't have conflict and I was burdened (crystal ball) so just
> about every elemental on the plane had a taste of me.

I guess that shock resistance plus half damage was a sufficient protection
against those elemntals... I end up in more than one but took no
significant damage.

> > I think now I'll either stop for a while or try a wizard.
> >

> He he he. I think we all must say something similar after our first
> ascension. I lasted two days before I was playing again.

Well, in France March is the month for filling boring application form to
seek a permanent research position in academics... I certainly do have
other things to do (not to mention papers to write and lessons to
prepare). Just have to stop procrastinating a bit :-S

> Very well done, ascending the first time below the Soke.

Thanks.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:

> Globally, I've found the early game (until Sokoban or Medusa) quite hard
> and challenging but the late game (except for astral plane) was kinda
> "kill them all until they're dead".

Yes, that's more or less the typical impression I heard here
from many voices, and it matches my own point of view.

> Then you could hear more sounds reminding an elephant and peanuts (what's
> that exact message ?)...

You hear a sound reminiscent of an elephant stepping on a peanut.

I think.

Best,
Jakob

begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
>Mine's entrance at DL4, both DL5 were bones files, so a lot of good stuff
>(I already knew scrolls of remove curse), including two other scrolls of
>genocide [Yeah, I had a guy killed will carriying a scroll of genocide...
>But it was a blessed one and I was attacked by elves :-(], bag of holding
>and amulet of reflection. I tried to take everything out of my BoH and so
>loose many wands in the process. Probably nothing I had missed later as I
>don't remember any game where I had wands of, say, wishing or death.

Is there something missing in the middle of this paragraph?

>Back to the quest, fumble with a level teleporter at quest level 2, going
>directly to Master Kaen's level ! Not too hard battle, killed Kaen with
>Mojo,

Nice one. Kaen can be a ah heck.

>Run, run, run. Teleport away monster whenever someone summon them.

Best plan on the way up, indeed, is to run not fight.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Teleute, March.

Jym wrote:
[ Please don't remove attibutions: we want to see who you're
answering. ]
[ Restored. ]
> Lichen fodder wrote:
>> Jym wrote:

> Then you could hear more sounds reminding an elephant and peanuts
> (what's that exact message ?)...

It indicates there is a zoo on the level.

>> Mid snack 2 arch liches turned up, (can one summon another or is
>> there just a fair chance of meeting two in the same Ghenom level?).

I think they can summon one another, but even if they can't, they can
teleport to you whenever and wherever on the level they are created. By
the way, it's "Gehennom", not "Ghenom".

>> The 2nd lich summons other assorted nasties and yet another back
>> dragon.

A back dragon? That must be an ancient, retarded one. :)

>> This immediately disintigrates my mastadon, hits me and
>> takes out my cloak of displacement and GSDM. I was wearing "oLS not
>> reflection.

Perhaps this will teach you why all veterans in this newsgroup advise
you to wear an amulet of reflection instead of life saving. The latter
will save your life, the first will save your life many times by keeping
your equipment and wands alive.

>>> Air elemntals were annoying but could not really arm me.

Well, you were sufficiently armed, so you didn't need them to, did you?
:)

>> The reason was that that time I didn't have conflict and I was
>> burdened (crystal ball) so just about every elemental on the plane
>> had a taste of me.

Why didn't you leave it behind? After you've located the portal, what do
you still need if for?

> I guess that shock resistance plus half damage was a sufficient
> protection against those elemntals...

You don't need shock resistance against air elementals. They only do
physical damage.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

David Damerell wrote:
> begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:

>> Mine's entrance at DL4, both DL5 were bones files, so a lot of
>> good stuff (I already knew scrolls of remove curse), including
>> two other scrolls of genocide [Yeah, I had a guy killed will
>> carriying a scroll of genocide... But it was a blessed one and I
>> was attacked by elves :-(], bag of holding and amulet of
>> reflection. I tried to take everything out of my BoH and so loose
>> many wands in the process. Probably nothing I had missed later as
>> I don't remember any game where I had wands of, say, wishing or
>> death.

> Is there something missing in the middle of this paragraph?

No. The original poster is French, I believe, and his mother tongue
obviously isn't English, like yours. Where I am known to make comments
on other people's spelling and grammar now and then as well, I usually
do this by e-mail.

Not everyone is blessed with multilingual skills in the same way.

J'assume que <<Jym>> est fluent en français, puis'que il a dit qu'il va
appliquer pour une bourse (ou quelquechose comme ça) en université.

J'espère que je n'ai pas fait trop d'erreurs ici... Il y'a plus de
quinze ans que j'ai eu de renseignement en francais. :)

>> Run, run, run. Teleport away monster whenever someone summon them.

> Best plan on the way up, indeed, is to run not fight.

Good advice, as usual.

--

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Jym wrote:
> [ Please don't remove attibutions: we want to see who you're
> answering. ]
> [ Restored. ]

Sorry. Always clean up too much :-(

> > Lichen fodder wrote:
> >> Jym wrote:

> >> Mid snack 2 arch liches turned up, (can one summon another or is
> >> there just a fair chance of meeting two in the same Ghenom level?).
>
> I think they can summon one another, but even if they can't, they can

I think some spoiler about "best pet" on Eva Myers' page mention them as
great pet but with a drawback because they may summon each other. But that
may be slash'em.

> A back dragon? That must be an ancient, retarded one. :)

A back dragon appear in front of you --More--
You are a bit upside-down.

> Well, you were sufficiently armed, so you didn't need them to, did you?
> :)

I still was engulfed many times (5 ? 6 ?) but without any real damage.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, David Damerell wrote:

> begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
> >Mine's entrance at DL4, both DL5 were bones files, so a lot of good stuff
> >(I already knew scrolls of remove curse), including two other scrolls of
> >genocide [Yeah, I had a guy killed will carriying a scroll of genocide...
> >But it was a blessed one and I was attacked by elves :-(], bag of holding
> >and amulet of reflection. I tried to take everything out of my BoH and so
> >loose many wands in the process. Probably nothing I had missed later as I
> >don't remember any game where I had wands of, say, wishing or death.
>
> Is there something missing in the middle of this paragraph?

I don't think so. Where precisly do you think there may be a problem ?

> >Back to the quest, fumble with a level teleporter at quest level 2, going
> >directly to Master Kaen's level ! Not too hard battle, killed Kaen with
> >Mojo,
>
> Nice one. Kaen can be a ah heck.

He was. I got somehow paralysed for quite a long duration and lost half my
HPs (total around 350-400 at that time) before I could start beating him
back. Orb of Fate save me that time (as well as previous nurse dancing).
Should have wear a ring of free action sooner in the game...

> >Run, run, run. Teleport away monster whenever someone summon them.
>
> Best plan on the way up, indeed, is to run not fight.

Indeed. I had already dig up paths in all levels 'especially Gehennom)
just to be sure. Teleportation is definitely the best way to clean your
path in corridors. My way up (as well as the traversal of the planes) was
without doubt "All I need is to go there, don't care about anything else".

Well, that wouldn't be an ascension "run" without the running part of if,
would it ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> David Damerell wrote:
> > begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
>
> >> Mine's entrance at DL4, both DL5 were bones files, so a lot of
> >> good stuff (I already knew scrolls of remove curse), including
> >> two other scrolls of genocide [Yeah, I had a guy killed will
> >> carriying a scroll of genocide... But it was a blessed one and I
> >> was attacked by elves :-(], bag of holding and amulet of
> >> reflection. I tried to take everything out of my BoH and so loose
> >> many wands in the process. Probably nothing I had missed later as
> >> I don't remember any game where I had wands of, say, wishing or
> >> death.
>
> > Is there something missing in the middle of this paragraph?
>
> No. The original poster is French, I believe, and his mother tongue
> obviously isn't English, like yours. Where I am known to make comments
> on other people's spelling and grammar now and then as well, I usually
> do this by e-mail.

Absolutely (see also my email adress in .fr)

> Not everyone is blessed with multilingual skills in the same way.
>
> J'assume que <<Jym>> est fluent en français, puis'que il a dit qu'il va
> appliquer pour une bourse (ou quelquechose comme ça) en université.
>
> J'espère que je n'ai pas fait trop d'erreurs ici... Il y'a plus de
> quinze ans que j'ai eu de renseignement en francais. :)

Ça va, pour un français vieux de 15 and, j'ai déjà vu pire. Et c'est
certainement meilleur que mon néerlandais.
(strangly enough, a bit of studies of danish let me almost undestand part
of texts (eg ads) in dutch, well, that was in Antwerp, so not exactly
dutch...)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:

>> J'espère que je n'ai pas fait trop d'erreurs ici... Il y'a plus de
>> quinze ans que j'ai eu de renseignement en francais. :)

> Ça va, pour un français vieux de 15 and, j'ai déjà vu pire. Et c'est
> certainement meilleur que mon néerlandais.

Ah, but you probably didn't get six years of Dutch in secondary
school...

> (strangly enough, a bit of studies of danish let me almost undestand
> part of texts (eg ads) in dutch, well, that was in Antwerp, so not
> exactly dutch...)

Dutch, Frysian, Danish, German, Norwegian, and Swedish are all germanic
languages, and hence have a lot in common. English is a mixture of
German and French, so it should be even easier for you.

But I recognise what you're saying: when I went to Norway some years
ago, I found I could read almost everything without any trouble
(understanding spoken Norwegian was more difficult, though, probably
because it all went too fast for me).

Going to the movies was even easier: like in the Netherlands, the
Norwegians use subtitles instead of dubbing, so all I had to do was
ignore the subtitles and listen to the movie itself.

And in Antwerp, they speak Dutch, by the way. Flemish is a Dutch accent,
not a real variant. You could compare it to the difference between
"standard" French and the Langue d'Oc or Wallon.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Lichen Fodder" <mantill@gmail.com> writes:

[Please try to quote some context; it's much simpler to
read the newsgroup when people are quoting the text they
are referring to.]

[Early game hard, late game easy]
> If you find it dull try some conducts or SATAP's.

I am, but still early game is much more challenging, and
Gehennom is extremely boring. Well, illiterate
wishgenopolypolyselfless atheist is still to be done;
maybe next month when I have time. And pacifism is
of course the true challenge; I think I never get to it.

Best,
Jakob

begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
>On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, David Damerell wrote:
>>begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
<>>Mine's entrance at DL4, both DL5 were bones files, so a lot of good stuff
<>>(I already knew scrolls of remove curse), including two other scrolls of
>>>genocide [Yeah, I had a guy killed will carriying a scroll of genocide...
>>>But it was a blessed one and I was attacked by elves :-(], bag of holding
>>>and amulet of reflection. I tried to take everything out of my BoH and so
>>>loose many wands in the process. Probably nothing I had missed later as I
>>>don't remember any game where I had wands of, say, wishing or death.
>>Is there something missing in the middle of this paragraph?
>I don't think so. Where precisly do you think there may be a problem ?

Ah, no. You refer to the previous character's BoH as "my", which confused
me.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Oneiros, March.

In article <d02t3f$d72$1@news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>Jym wrote:

>Ah, but you probably didn't get six years of Dutch in secondary
>school...
>
>> (strangly enough, a bit of studies of danish let me almost undestand
>> part of texts (eg ads) in dutch, well, that was in Antwerp, so not
>> exactly dutch...)
>
>Dutch, Frysian, Danish, German, Norwegian, and Swedish are all germanic
>languages, and hence have a lot in common. English is a mixture of
>German and French, so it should be even easier for you.
>
>But I recognise what you're saying: when I went to Norway some years
>ago, I found I could read almost everything without any trouble
>(understanding spoken Norwegian was more difficult, though, probably
>because it all went too fast for me).

I was bordereline fluent in spanish when I left highschool; now I can
basicly follow it. After almost a week in a french resort town (what a
place to hold a conference! :), I could read most of the signs and
advertisements.

I took a year of college german one summer, but it's dead and gone (I
took a math minor rather than second major, and didn't need to take the
translation test). However, between some vague memories of the grammar
similarities/differences, Jesuit reinforced native english, and Jesuit
vocabulary training, I found that after a few days in Amsterdam, I could
follow the gist of the news on the prompters on the bus . . .

>Going to the movies was even easier: like in the Netherlands, the
>Norwegians use subtitles instead of dubbing, so all I had to do was
>ignore the subtitles and listen to the movie itself.
>
>And in Antwerp, they speak Dutch, by the way. Flemish is a Dutch accent,
>not a real variant. You could compare it to the difference between
>"standard" French and the Langue d'Oc or Wallon.

If you really want to get people going, point out/claim that portugese
is a spanish dialect . . . I can (could) follow written portugese; the
spoken was a lot tougher.

hawk, wishing he was fluent in latin & greek
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu 111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, David Damerell wrote:

> begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
> >On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, David Damerell wrote:
> >>begin quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
> <>>Mine's entrance at DL4, both DL5 were bones files, so a lot of good stuff
> <>>(I already knew scrolls of remove curse), including two other scrolls of
> >>Is there something missing in the middle of this paragraph?
> >I don't think so. Where precisly do you think there may be a problem ?
>
> Ah, no. You refer to the previous character's BoH as "my", which confused
> me.

Well, as soon as I picked it up from the bone pile, it become mine. I
don't think there really is a notion of private property in Nethack :)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.