Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing Windows 7 on external HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2013 7:46:04 PM

Hi Guys

Would just like to know if its possible to install the Windows 7 OS on an external HDD and if so how do i do it? I have a Seagate 2TB Expansion desktop External HDD, which i have created 4 partitions, 3 of the 4 partitions are used up so i thought it be kinda cool to have an OS on the External. When i try installing straight onto the external disk, i get an error saying that windows cannot be installed on a USB drive or IEE 1394. Any ideas on how i can get the OS installed?

Would creating an image with Ghost or Acronis work?

Much Appreciated
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2013 10:10:57 PM

it really makes no sense unless you plan to always have the external drive boot to the same motherboard and system
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2013 10:44:52 PM

Yeah, like xttony said, unless you have windows 7/8 professional you won't be able to make a "portable" install of the OS... which is kinda a shame.

You also will have a LOT of issues if you, say, change the USB port the external drive is plugged into. It's just too much of a hassle to be worth the slow, crappy performing benefits.
August 20, 2013 6:20:59 AM

HI,

the zip filw which you mentioned in point 2 is not getting downloaded properly. can you please share that to (surendrachowkisap@gmail.com)

Thanks,

m
l
January 8, 2014 6:14:46 AM

good day
I have a probleme with this instalation .When it asks me to choose active partrion and i select c: it gives me a error that says partion C: is not writable?can you help please
m
l
!