YANI: Farming in [s]lashem (And I DON'T mean puddings)

YANI: Farming in lashem (And I DON'T mean puddings)

Since slashem has implemented cows, sheep, goats and other farm
animals, it seems to me that players should be able to farm them. There
were suggestions in another thread regarding getting milk out of cows &
goats, and this is basically an extension of that.

I suggest a new command, #milk, and also a new "milking" skill.
Yeomen should start with milking at basic, with the possibility of
enhancing it up to skilled, if they really think it's worth the skill
slots. Most other classes would start at unskilled and be unable to go
beyond basic. Exceptions might be healers and rangers, with perhaps
hobbit and elf characters having the opportunity to advance one level
further than they would otherwise.

Regardless of skill, any player with hands can attempt to milk a tame,
female cow/ goat/ sheep for a milky potion. Success and time taken by
the milking process would be determined by the animal's tameness, the
player's dexterity and their proficiency in the "milking" skill.
Attempts to milk inappropriate animals are likely to get you bitten,
and reduce the subject's tameness dramatically.

Milk can only be produced by a tame animal, which must not be scared,
and also must be tied up using a leash. There should also be a
lactation timeout (300 turns at the very least) for each animal, so the
player has to wait while it produces more milk. The timeout will only
decrease for as long as the animal remains tame and tied up, and it
must also be within a few dozen points of the absolute minimum hunger
level it can achieve- you have to keep it very well-fed. Also, each
tick on the timeout increases the animal's hunger a little bit, so
leaving it on a level for a few hundred turns while do Sokoban won't
help, and you can't trail it round the dungeon after you either. You
have to tie your animal up, stay put and throw food at it, or at least
leave it standing on a big heap of lichen corpses while you do
something else on the same level. A stethoscope or wand of probing will
tell you if the animal is ready to be milked, or a player with skilled
or better in milking will be able to tell just by #chatting to it.

Unsuccessful and/or unskilled attempts at milking, or attempts upon an
animal whose timeout has not yet expired will reduce tameness. So will
players with cold hands (ice mages and players polymorphed into icy
monsters, for instance). Gloves might help here. Players whose hands
are "glowing red" as a result of a + or ? of conf can try to milk the
animal for a potion of confusion, but the animal will become confused
and have tameness reduced if the milking is successful.

Obviously this becomes an easy (albeit time-consuming) way for players
to turn (vegetarian) food into potions. In order to balance things out,
all non-blessed milky potions should have a very small chance of
curdling into a cheese at any time. Say, something like 1/1000 per
potion per turn, and if one goes, the whole stack goes. This applies to
all milky potions, all the time, whether they are on the floor, in main
inventory, in a container or on a different level: I imagine the code
used to transmute polymorphed objects back into their original form
could be re-used here. Furthermore, dipping any kind of mould corpse
into a milky potion will use up both items and produce a cheese.
Additionally, cursed milky potions should be treated as sour milk,
producing the same effects as rotten eggs.

All this could open up a bizarre new way of playing, with players
giving up all this "risking life and limb for the glory of the gods"
nonsense, preferring to settle down instead to a quiet pastoral
existence producing dairy products for sale at the local delicatessen.
I can just see the logfile entry now:
"Heidi the dwarven Valkyrie, escaped the dungeon with 13583 zorkmids,
XPlvl 2, with a kitten, 3 sheep, 2 goats and a sackful of cheese. Went
on to live a long and fulfilling life as a shepherdess."

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> YANI: Farming in lashem (And I DON'T mean puddings)
>
> Since slashem has implemented cows, sheep, goats and other farm
> animals, it seems to me that players should be able to farm them.
There
> were suggestions in another thread regarding getting milk out of cows
&
> goats, and this is basically an extension of that.
>
> I suggest a new command, #milk, and also a new "milking" skill.
> Yeomen should start with milking at basic, with the possibility of
> enhancing it up to skilled, if they really think it's worth the skill
> slots. Most other classes would start at unskilled and be unable to
go
> beyond basic. Exceptions might be healers and rangers, with perhaps
> hobbit and elf characters having the opportunity to advance one level
> further than they would otherwise.

[snip]

Man...you must have *way* too much time on your hands!! ;) Very
interesting and well thought out, and hilarious I might add.. But,
don't milky potions get a chance for a wish in ? Or is it only
smoky? And what if milky potions end up being gain level?? Or, are
they always just milk?

RecRanger wrote:
>> [dairy farming]
> Man...you must have *way* too much time on your hands!! ;)

Actually... yeah, I have.

> Very interesting and well thought out, and hilarious I might add..
But,
> don't milky potions get a chance for a wish in ? Or is it only
> smoky?

I thought it was only smoky that held genies. Milky should only
generate ghosts, unless slashem has changed things.

> And what if milky potions end up being gain level?? Or, are
> they always just milk?

If milky==Gain level then you are in for a very good game, but it isn't
entirely plain sailing. First you have to find an animal and tame it,
then get yourself a leash, then sit around milking for ages, being sure
to bless each potion so that it doesn't curdle...

TRENDING THREADS