  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 23, 2004 2:04:14 PM

I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.

I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
don't want to do.

Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.

But, should I wait awhile anyway??

I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.

Your thoughts??

Mel

More about : update sp2 wait

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 2:32:02 PM

Depends.

If you actively practice safe computing (visit Windows Update, antivirus,
firewall, careful on the Internet, etc.) you should wait until the end of
September for SP 2. Let other people be the guinea pigs. By the end of
September it's likely that Microsoft will have worked out any kinks caused
by SP 2.

On the other hand, if you haven't been fastidious about safe computing, then
install SP 2 as soon as you have the chance. Just remember to do a full
system backup before you start, so if something goes awry you can easily put
Humpty Dumpty together again.
--
Ted Zieglar

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

August 23, 2004 2:39:22 PM

Ted:

Yeah, I practice safe hex!!!
I run my spyware (Ad-Aware and Spybot) regularly along with my antivirus
(AVG) program. I also keep all of the above updated regularly.

I guess I'll wait.

Regarding backup, I regularly backup all my documents.

Do I really need a full backup? Wouldn't System Restore bail me out?

Mel

"Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> Depends.
>
> If you actively practice safe computing (visit Windows Update, antivirus,
> firewall, careful on the Internet, etc.) you should wait until the end of
> September for SP 2. Let other people be the guinea pigs. By the end of
> September it's likely that Microsoft will have worked out any kinks caused
> by SP 2.
>
> On the other hand, if you haven't been fastidious about safe computing,
then
> install SP 2 as soon as you have the chance. Just remember to do a full
> system backup before you start, so if something goes awry you can easily
put
> Humpty Dumpty together again.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
> >
> > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> > don't want to do.
> >
> > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
> >
> > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
> >
> > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out.
On
> > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
> >
> > Your thoughts??
> >
> > Mel

August 23, 2004 2:39:23 PM

> Ted:
>
> Yeah, I practice safe hex!!!
> I run my spyware (Ad-Aware and Spybot) regularly along with my antivirus
> (AVG) program. I also keep all of the above updated regularly.
>
> I guess I'll wait.
>
> Regarding backup, I regularly backup all my documents.
>
> Do I really need a full backup? Wouldn't System Restore bail me out?
>
> Mel

System restore may or may not help depending on the level of file
corruption. Also, it's not uncommon to first have to disable system restore
to fully scan for various infections to rid the system of them.

It's my understanding that once that is done, previous restore points are
lost and new restore points are begun once SR is re-enabled.

So, in theory, you turn SR off to clean the machine. If that doesn't work,
you have no restore points remaining to 'fall back' upon.

Back up, and back up some more, then verify what you've backed up is
restorable.

Stew
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 5:26:49 PM

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

FWIW I've applied SP2 to two Dell computers (an Inspiron 8500 and a
Dimension 8200) Both went without incident. On the Dimension it even fixed a
couple of things that had never previously worked. (specifically the UPS
interface and the ability for my backup program to shadow copy "files in
use" during a full backup)

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:06:55 PM

"Safe hex"...good one! Never heard it before.

The purpose of System Restore is to restore only the essential underpinnings
of Windows, to get you back to the GUI. From the GUI, you have access to
Windows' many troubleshooting resources. System Restore provides users with
the resources to try to fix their system's problems.

Moreover, if any one or more of your restore points becomes corrupted,
System Restore is unusable: You have to erase all your restore points and
start over.

On the other hand, the beauty of imaging your system partition - that's the
one with Windows and all your software - is that you create an exact,
bit-for-bit copy of your system partition in just minutes. Now you have a
known good installation that you can return to in just minutes. It's so much
easier than the time and hassle of doing a clean install of Windows and all
your software.
--
Ted Zieglar

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Ted:
>
> Yeah, I practice safe hex!!!
> I run my spyware (Ad-Aware and Spybot) regularly along with my antivirus
> (AVG) program. I also keep all of the above updated regularly.
>
> I guess I'll wait.
>
> Regarding backup, I regularly backup all my documents.
>
> Do I really need a full backup? Wouldn't System Restore bail me out?
>
> Mel
>

> "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > Depends.
> >
> > If you actively practice safe computing (visit Windows Update,
antivirus,
> > firewall, careful on the Internet, etc.) you should wait until the end
of
> > September for SP 2. Let other people be the guinea pigs. By the end of
> > September it's likely that Microsoft will have worked out any kinks
caused
> > by SP 2.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you haven't been fastidious about safe computing,
> then
> > install SP 2 as soon as you have the chance. Just remember to do a full
> > system backup before you start, so if something goes awry you can easily
> put
> > Humpty Dumpty together again.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
> > >
> > > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which
> > > don't want to do.
> > >
> > > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
> > >
> > > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
> > >
> > > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out.
> On
> > > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
> > >
> > > Your thoughts??
> > >
> > > Mel

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:30:46 PM

MB wrote:

> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??

Why not read the other threads on the topic?

Bob
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 8:05:55 PM

Based on previous threads to this group and what I have read in the
media-----WAIT.

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 8:54:28 PM

I would suggest you wait for 30 days. I am having problems with my IE. It
freezes.
"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:45:17 PM

I didn't want automatic updates on either, so went to

downloaded the full update (took awhile with dialup) and installed it
yesterday. It went perfect on my Dimension 4300.

From reading everything I could find over the last week, first run your AV,
trojan detector, and cleanup your hard drive. Unplug your printer scanner
etc. (not sure why, but that is what the "experts" suggested.) Disable
anything that is running in the background and run the install.

I did a Ghost image, had my boot disc ready and did a full file backup just
in case!!

Do a defrag after the install.

Bob

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:53:34 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:54:28 -0400, Carolyn Taliaferro wrote:

> I would suggest you wait for 30 days. I am having problems with my IE. It
> freezes.

I had problems like that without SP2 but I was never able to narrow them
down to anything and of course Microsoft was no help.

Dave
Running Windows XP Pro w/SP2.
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:35:46 AM

Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business users
to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not voluntering
to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.

Corse

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.

I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
don't want to do.

Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.

But, should I wait awhile anyway??

I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.

Your thoughts??

Mel
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:35:47 AM

Home users are more likely to be deficient in protecting their computers
from viruses and spyware, therefore they are encouraged to install SP 2 now.
It is unlikely that SP 2 will cause widespread serious problems, so the
extra security which SP 2 provides outweighs the slight possibility of
causing problems on individual users' systems.

Ted Zieglar

"Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
users
> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
voluntering
> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
>

> Corse
>

> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

August 24, 2004 4:35:47 AM

"Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message news:C3wWc.10578$fr7.9461@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business users
> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not voluntering
> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.

Based on what I've seen, Microsoft is encouraging both individual and
business users to apply SP2. They're just urging businesses to take the
time and fully test it with their software before rolling it out company
wide. This is wise, for some of the SP2 changes are likely to break
some corporate/vertical apps, and if that were to happen to a hospital
or investment company or police department or what have you, it could
be real ugly.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:35:48 AM

"Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
>> users
>> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
>> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
>> voluntering
>> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
>
> Based on what I've seen, Microsoft is encouraging both individual and
> business users to apply SP2. They're just urging businesses to take the
> time and fully test it with their software before rolling it out company
> wide. This is wise, for some of the SP2 changes are likely to break
> some corporate/vertical apps, and if that were to happen to a hospital
> or investment company or police department or what have you, it could
> be real ugly.

Yep. Corporates generally a helluva lot more to lose and in greater numbers
of dollars and machines than most any individuals.

In the FWIW column, I've installed the manually downloaded RTM 2180 version
of SP2 on my spare machine and it went w/o a hitch. Tonight, just for S&G,
I've gone back and uninstalled via system restore (went fine), and now
manually via add/remove programs (*where it was prominently listed).

On my primary machine, SP2 is NOT listed in add/remove, but I suspect that
may be because I didn't choose the 'archive' option when installing RC1 or
2 - although I did install the RTM via WinUpdate versus manual download.

Just thought I'd make that as clear as mud.

Stew
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:35:49 AM

> "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
>>> users
>>> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
>>> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
>>> voluntering
>>> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
>>
>> Based on what I've seen, Microsoft is encouraging both individual and
>> business users to apply SP2. They're just urging businesses to take the
>> time and fully test it with their software before rolling it out company
>> wide. This is wise, for some of the SP2 changes are likely to break
>> some corporate/vertical apps, and if that were to happen to a hospital
>> or investment company or police department or what have you, it could
>> be real ugly.
>>

> Yep. Corporates generally a helluva lot more to lose and in greater
> numbers of dollars and machines than most any individuals.
>
> In the FWIW column, I've installed the manually downloaded RTM 2180
> version of SP2 on my spare machine and it went w/o a hitch. Tonight, just
> for S&G, I've gone back and uninstalled via system restore (went fine),
> and now manually via add/remove programs (*where it was prominently
> listed).
>
> On my primary machine, SP2 is NOT listed in add/remove, but I suspect that
> may be because I didn't choose the 'archive' option when installing RC1 or
> 2 - although I did install the RTM via WinUpdate versus manual download.
>
> Just thought I'd make that as clear as mud.
>
> Stew

Uh, that first reboot after the manual uninstall was a doozy. A few minutes
of black screen, then complete HW re-detection, followed by another reboot
to finish installing all drivers:)

I'll go for the necessary Windows Updates (minus SP2) next.

Stew
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:48:12 AM

I use Zone Alarm, AVG anti-virus software, ad-aware and Firefox (instead of
IE) so I think I'm pretty safe. And I'm still not going to be a guinea pig
for Microsoft.

Corse

Home users are more likely to be deficient in protecting their computers
from viruses and spyware, therefore they are encouraged to install SP 2 now.
It is unlikely that SP 2 will cause widespread serious problems, so the
extra security which SP 2 provides outweighs the slight possibility of
causing problems on individual users' systems.

Ted Zieglar

"Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
users
> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
voluntering
> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
>

> Corse
>

> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

August 24, 2004 12:58:39 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:04:14 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
wrote:

>I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
>I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
>don't want to do.
>
>Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
>But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
>I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
>the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
>Your thoughts??
>
>Mel

Based on my readings.... WAIT.
Reason: As you said, to work out bugs.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:32:41 PM

That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost them a
lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur problems.

"Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
users
> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
voluntering
> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
>

> Corse
>

> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>
> I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> don't want to do.
>
> Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>
> But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>
> I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
> the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>
> Your thoughts??
>
> Mel

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:53:17 PM

[The day has finally come when I am agreeing with Irene.]

"The loss of large business customers cost them a lot more money that does
the loss of some home users that incur problems."

....especially since few home users' computers will experience problems, and
most of those computers had problems to begin with.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost them a
> lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur problems.
>

> "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
> > Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
> users
> > to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
> > Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
> voluntering
> > to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
> >

> > Corse
> >

> > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
> >
> > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
> > don't want to do.
> >
> > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
> >
> > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
> >
> > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out.
On
> > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
> >
> > Your thoughts??
> >
> > Mel

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 11:34:48 PM

Yeah, and I have a toll bridge in NYC that I will sell you very reasonably.

> [The day has finally come when I am agreeing with Irene.]
>
> "The loss of large business customers cost them a lot more money that does
> the loss of some home users that incur problems."
>
> ...especially since few home users' computers will experience problems,
and
> most of those computers had problems to begin with.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost them
> > lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur
problems.

> > "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
> > > Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
> > users
> > > to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume
that
> > > Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
> > voluntering
> > > to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
> > >

> > > Corse
> > >

> > > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
> > >
> > > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which
> > > don't want to do.
> > >
> > > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
> > >
> > > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
> > >
> > > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out.
> On
> > > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
> > >
> > > Your thoughts??
> > >
> > > Mel

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:06:50 PM

Did you mean a "troll bridge"?

;-> ;->

--

> Yeah, and I have a toll bridge in NYC that I will sell you very
reasonably.
> >g<
>

> "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > [The day has finally come when I am agreeing with Irene.]
> >
> > "The loss of large business customers cost them a lot more money that
does
> > the loss of some home users that incur problems."
> >
> > ...especially since few home users' computers will experience problems,
> and
> > most of those computers had problems to begin with.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost
them
> > > lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur
> problems.
> > >

> > > "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
> > > users
> that
> > > voluntering

> > On

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:06:51 PM

If you desire it to be a "troll" bridge, then be my guest---as long as you
pay me for it first. >g<

"Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 01Xc.45200$rP2.14694@hydra.nntpserver.com...
> Did you mean a "troll bridge"?
>
> ;-> ;->
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah, and I have a toll bridge in NYC that I will sell you very
> reasonably.
> > >g<
> >

> > "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > > [The day has finally come when I am agreeing with Irene.]
> > >
> > > "The loss of large business customers cost them a lot more money that
> does
> > > the loss of some home users that incur problems."
> > >
> > > ...especially since few home users' computers will experience
problems,
> > and
> > > most of those computers had problems to begin with.
> > > --
> > > Ted Zieglar
> > >

> > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> them
> > problems.

> business
> > that

> which

> out.
> > > On

August 26, 2004 12:27:47 AM

Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky" wrote:

> Did you mean a "troll bridge"?

Thank you! ;)
August 26, 2004 12:29:43 AM

jim wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:04:14 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
>>
>>I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
>>don't want to do.
>>
>>Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
>>
>>But, should I wait awhile anyway??
>>
>>I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
>>the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
>>
>>Your thoughts??
>>
>>Mel
>
> Based on my readings.... WAIT.
> Reason: As you said, to work out bugs.

What bugs do people expect MS to work out re: SP2? MS doesn't distribute
..1 versions of Windows software anymore. SP2 is in its final form.
Before SP3 we'll see a bunch of updates, critical & otherwise.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:06:45 AM

wrote:

>I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
>don't want to do.

That is absurd. You can download the entire update and install it and
leave auto-updates off. I have done just that.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
September 1, 2004 11:06:46 AM

"Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:04:14 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
>>don't want to do.
>
> That is absurd. You can download the entire update and install it and
> leave auto-updates off. I have done just that.
> --
> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

Correct. That's the biggest reason to do the full (network) download. That
and if you have more than one machine to update.

Tom
!