Should I update to SP2 now or wait??

I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.

I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
don't want to do.

Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.

But, should I wait awhile anyway??

I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.

Your thoughts??

Mel
27 answers Last reply
More about should update wait

    Depends.

    If you actively practice safe computing (visit Windows Update, antivirus,
    firewall, careful on the Internet, etc.) you should wait until the end of
    September for SP 2. Let other people be the guinea pigs. By the end of
    September it's likely that Microsoft will have worked out any kinks caused
    by SP 2.

    On the other hand, if you haven't been fastidious about safe computing, then
    install SP 2 as soon as you have the chance. Just remember to do a full
    system backup before you start, so if something goes awry you can easily put
    Humpty Dumpty together again.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > don't want to do.
    >
    > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    > Your thoughts??
    >
    > Mel

    Ted:

    Yeah, I practice safe hex!!!
    I run my spyware (Ad-Aware and Spybot) regularly along with my antivirus
    (AVG) program. I also keep all of the above updated regularly.

    I guess I'll wait.

    Regarding backup, I regularly backup all my documents.

    Do I really need a full backup? Wouldn't System Restore bail me out?

    Mel

    > Ted:
    >
    > Yeah, I practice safe hex!!!
    > I run my spyware (Ad-Aware and Spybot) regularly along with my antivirus
    > (AVG) program. I also keep all of the above updated regularly.
    >
    > I guess I'll wait.
    >
    > Regarding backup, I regularly backup all my documents.
    >
    > Do I really need a full backup? Wouldn't System Restore bail me out?
    >
    > Mel

    System restore may or may not help depending on the level of file
    corruption. Also, it's not uncommon to first have to disable system restore
    to fully scan for various infections to rid the system of them.

    It's my understanding that once that is done, previous restore points are
    lost and new restore points are begun once SR is re-enabled.

    So, in theory, you turn SR off to clean the machine. If that doesn't work,
    you have no restore points remaining to 'fall back' upon.

    Back up, and back up some more, then verify what you've backed up is
    restorable.

    Stew

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > don't want to do.
    >
    > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    > Your thoughts??
    >
    > Mel

    FWIW I've applied SP2 to two Dell computers (an Inspiron 8500 and a
    Dimension 8200) Both went without incident. On the Dimension it even fixed a
    couple of things that had never previously worked. (specifically the UPS
    interface and the ability for my backup program to shadow copy "files in
    use" during a full backup)

    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "Safe hex"...good one! Never heard it before.

    The purpose of System Restore is to restore only the essential underpinnings
    of Windows, to get you back to the GUI. From the GUI, you have access to
    Windows' many troubleshooting resources. System Restore provides users with
    the resources to try to fix their system's problems.

    Moreover, if any one or more of your restore points becomes corrupted,
    System Restore is unusable: You have to erase all your restore points and
    start over.

    On the other hand, the beauty of imaging your system partition - that's the
    one with Windows and all your software - is that you create an exact,
    bit-for-bit copy of your system partition in just minutes. Now you have a
    known good installation that you can return to in just minutes. It's so much
    easier than the time and hassle of doing a clean install of Windows and all
    your software.
    --

    MB wrote:

    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > don't want to do.
    >
    > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    > Your thoughts??

    Why not read the other threads on the topic?

    Bob

    Based on previous threads to this group and what I have read in the
    media-----WAIT.

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > don't want to do.
    >
    > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    > Your thoughts??
    >
    > Mel

    I would suggest you wait for 30 days. I am having problems with my IE. It
    freezes.
    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > don't want to do.
    >
    > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    > Your thoughts??
    >
    > Mel

    I didn't want automatic updates on either, so went to
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    downloaded the full update (took awhile with dialup) and installed it
    yesterday. It went perfect on my Dimension 4300.

    From reading everything I could find over the last week, first run your AV,
    trojan detector, and cleanup your hard drive. Unplug your printer scanner
    etc. (not sure why, but that is what the "experts" suggested.) Disable
    anything that is running in the background and run the install.

    I did a Ghost image, had my boot disc ready and did a full file backup just
    in case!!

    Do a defrag after the install.

    Bob

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:54:28 -0400, Carolyn Taliaferro wrote:

    > I would suggest you wait for 30 days. I am having problems with my IE. It
    > freezes.

    I had problems like that without SP2 but I was never able to narrow them
    down to anything and of course Microsoft was no help.

    Dave
    Running Windows XP Pro w/SP2.
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business users
    to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
    Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not voluntering
    to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.

    Corse

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.

    I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    don't want to do.

    Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.

    But, should I wait awhile anyway??

    I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.

    Your thoughts??

    Mel

    Home users are more likely to be deficient in protecting their computers
    from viruses and spyware, therefore they are encouraged to install SP 2 now.
    It is unlikely that SP 2 will cause widespread serious problems, so the
    extra security which SP 2 provides outweighs the slight possibility of
    causing problems on individual users' systems.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
    users
    > to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
    > Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
    voluntering
    > to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
    >

    > Corse
    >

    > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > don't want to do.
    >
    > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    > Your thoughts??
    >
    > Mel

    "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message news:C3wWc.10578$fr7.9461@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
    > Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business users
    > to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
    > Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not voluntering
    > to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.

    Based on what I've seen, Microsoft is encouraging both individual and
    business users to apply SP2. They're just urging businesses to take the
    time and fully test it with their software before rolling it out company
    wide. This is wise, for some of the SP2 changes are likely to break
    some corporate/vertical apps, and if that were to happen to a hospital
    or investment company or police department or what have you, it could
    be real ugly.

    "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
    >> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
    >> users
    >> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
    >> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
    >> voluntering
    >> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
    >
    > Based on what I've seen, Microsoft is encouraging both individual and
    > business users to apply SP2. They're just urging businesses to take the
    > time and fully test it with their software before rolling it out company
    > wide. This is wise, for some of the SP2 changes are likely to break
    > some corporate/vertical apps, and if that were to happen to a hospital
    > or investment company or police department or what have you, it could
    > be real ugly.

    Yep. Corporates generally a helluva lot more to lose and in greater numbers
    of dollars and machines than most any individuals.

    In the FWIW column, I've installed the manually downloaded RTM 2180 version
    of SP2 on my spare machine and it went w/o a hitch. Tonight, just for S&G,
    I've gone back and uninstalled via system restore (went fine), and now
    manually via add/remove programs (*where it was prominently listed).

    On my primary machine, SP2 is NOT listed in add/remove, but I suspect that
    may be because I didn't choose the 'archive' option when installing RC1 or
    2 - although I did install the RTM via WinUpdate versus manual download.

    Just thought I'd make that as clear as mud.

    Stew

    > "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
    >>> Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
    >>> users
    >>> to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
    >>> Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
    >>> voluntering
    >>> to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
    >>
    >> Based on what I've seen, Microsoft is encouraging both individual and
    >> business users to apply SP2. They're just urging businesses to take the
    >> time and fully test it with their software before rolling it out company
    >> wide. This is wise, for some of the SP2 changes are likely to break
    >> some corporate/vertical apps, and if that were to happen to a hospital
    >> or investment company or police department or what have you, it could
    >> be real ugly.
    >>

    > Yep. Corporates generally a helluva lot more to lose and in greater
    > numbers of dollars and machines than most any individuals.
    >
    > In the FWIW column, I've installed the manually downloaded RTM 2180
    > version of SP2 on my spare machine and it went w/o a hitch. Tonight, just
    > for S&G, I've gone back and uninstalled via system restore (went fine),
    > and now manually via add/remove programs (*where it was prominently
    > listed).
    >
    > On my primary machine, SP2 is NOT listed in add/remove, but I suspect that
    > may be because I didn't choose the 'archive' option when installing RC1 or
    > 2 - although I did install the RTM via WinUpdate versus manual download.
    >
    > Just thought I'd make that as clear as mud.
    >
    > Stew

    Uh, that first reboot after the manual uninstall was a doozy. A few minutes
    of black screen, then complete HW re-detection, followed by another reboot
    to finish installing all drivers:)

    I'll go for the necessary Windows Updates (minus SP2) next.

    Stew

    I use Zone Alarm, AVG anti-virus software, ad-aware and Firefox (instead of
    IE) so I think I'm pretty safe. And I'm still not going to be a guinea pig
    for Microsoft.

    Corse

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:04:14 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
    wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    >I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    >don't want to do.
    >
    >Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    >But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    >I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    >the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    >Your thoughts??
    >
    >Mel

    Based on my readings.... WAIT.
    Reason: As you said, to work out bugs.

    That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost them a
    lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur problems.

    "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
    users
    > to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
    > Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
    voluntering
    > to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
    >

    > Corse
    >

    > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >
    > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > don't want to do.
    >
    > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >
    > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >
    > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >
    > Your thoughts??
    >
    > Mel

    [The day has finally come when I am agreeing with Irene.]

    "The loss of large business customers cost them a lot more money that does
    the loss of some home users that incur problems."

    ....especially since few home users' computers will experience problems, and
    most of those computers had problems to begin with.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost them a
    > lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur problems.
    >

    > "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > > Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
    > users
    > > to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume that
    > > Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
    > voluntering
    > > to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
    > >

    > > Corse
    > >

    > > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    > >
    > > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    > > don't want to do.
    > >
    > > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    > >
    > > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    > >
    > > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out.
    On
    > > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    > >
    > > Your thoughts??
    > >
    > > Mel

    Yeah, and I have a toll bridge in NYC that I will sell you very reasonably.

    > [The day has finally come when I am agreeing with Irene.]
    >
    > "The loss of large business customers cost them a lot more money that does
    > the loss of some home users that incur problems."
    >
    > ...especially since few home users' computers will experience problems,
    and
    > most of those computers had problems to begin with.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost them
    > > lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur
    problems.

    > > "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > > > Definitely wait. I find it odd that Microsoft is encouraging business
    > > users
    > > > to wait but encouraging home users to do the update now. I assume
    that
    > > > Microsoft has decided to use home users as guinea pigs. I'm not
    > > voluntering
    > > > to be one of them. I've turned off my automatic update feature.
    > > >

    > > > Corse
    > > >

    > > > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > > > I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    > > >
    > > > I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which
    > > > don't want to do.
    > > >
    > > > Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    > > >
    > > > But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    > > >
    > > > I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out.
    > On
    > > > the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    > > >
    > > > Your thoughts??
    > > >
    > > > Mel

    Did you mean a "troll bridge"?

    ;-> ;->

    --

    > Yeah, and I have a toll bridge in NYC that I will sell you very
    reasonably.
    > >g<
    >

    > "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > > [The day has finally come when I am agreeing with Irene.]
    > >
    > > "The loss of large business customers cost them a lot more money that
    does
    > > the loss of some home users that incur problems."
    > >
    > > ...especially since few home users' computers will experience problems,
    > and
    > > most of those computers had problems to begin with.
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >

    > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > That should be obvious. The loss of large business customers cost
    them
    > > > lot more money that does the loss of some home users that incur
    > problems.
    > > >

    > > > "Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > > > users
    > that
    > > > voluntering

    > > On

    If you desire it to be a "troll" bridge, then be my guest---as long as you
    pay me for it first. >g<

    Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky" wrote:

    > Did you mean a "troll bridge"?

    Thank you! ;)

    jim wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:04:14 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Dell Dim 2400 system.
    >>
    >>I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    >>don't want to do.
    >>
    >>Now, I assume I can turn that on, update, and then turn it off.
    >>
    >>But, should I wait awhile anyway??
    >>
    >>I mean, I'd like to wait so that perhaps some bugs could be taken out. On
    >>the other hand, maybe it is best to have the features now.
    >>
    >>Your thoughts??
    >>
    >>Mel
    >
    > Based on my readings.... WAIT.
    > Reason: As you said, to work out bugs.

    What bugs do people expect MS to work out re: SP2? MS doesn't distribute
    ..1 versions of Windows software anymore. SP2 is in its final form.
    Before SP3 we'll see a bunch of updates, critical & otherwise.

    This Microsoft website explains the new features of SP2 and has some
    useful pictures too:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    wrote:

    >I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    >don't want to do.

    That is absurd. You can download the entire update and install it and
    leave auto-updates off. I have done just that.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:04:14 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I see SP2 is available but ONLY if I turn on automatic updates, which I
    >>don't want to do.
    >
    > That is absurd. You can download the entire update and install it and
    > leave auto-updates off. I have done just that.
    > --
    > Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    > http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

    Correct. That's the biggest reason to do the full (network) download. That
    and if you have more than one machine to update.

    Tom

Dell Bug Computers