Sign in with
Your question

Maxium partition for windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 7, 2010 6:10:44 PM

Hello,What is themaxium partition size windows 7 can see.

Not a bember yet
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2010 7:11:36 PM

Hi I've heard it will support up to 16 terabytes
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
May 7, 2010 7:23:08 PM

Standard MBR-style partition tables max out at 2TB. No OS can use MBR partitions larger than 2TB because the partition table format limits the number of sectors that a partition can contain.

64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 can use GPT partition tables, therefore they can "see" partitions as large as 8 ZETTAbytes (no, I'm not kidding, a ZETTAbyte is 20^21 bytes, so a ZETTAByte is a BILLION TERABytes).

The data structures in an NTFS file system can handle volumes up to 8 ZB, but the actual implementation of NTFS in current operating systems tops out at 256TB. Since the on-disk data structures can already handle it, as disks continue to grow in size newer versions of Windows can be upgraded to handle larger volumes without any impact on NTFS itself.

The team that developed NTFS back in the 90's was very forward-thinking.
May 7, 2010 9:40:08 PM

Unless you have a real need for a huge partition it is usually best to have a few smaller ones.
It will reduce the time required for many operations in the long run such as defrag and AV scans.
July 2, 2010 5:46:59 PM

sminlal said:
64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 can use GPT partition tables. NTFS in current operating systems tops out at 256TB.

Hi, sminlal. If I use X64 Win7, which RAID controller I must use (but I prefer these included on motherboard) ? I have 4x 2TB or maybe 6x 2TB in the future. In the past, I used on the 32bit machine 6x500 GB hards, but onboard controller create only one 2TB and one 1TB RAID0 disc for me. I use RAID0 for fast copy and video editing. Thank you for your recommendation.

a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 2, 2010 6:57:35 PM

I don't use RAID on my own system so I can't really give you a recommendation on a controller. The motherboard chipset-based RAID should work fine - the modern ones shouldn't have a limit on how many drives they can use other than the issue of how many physical ports they have. But since the standard layout seems to be 6 ports you won't be able to connect 6 RAID drives if you also need to use other devices such as optical drives.
!