Sign in with
Your question

Internet auto disconnect

Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2013 10:14:28 PM

Internet disconnects after using for sometime on my computer . The network icon on the task bar shows no Internet access.
When I disabled the network adapter, but when I tried to enable it, windows just shows me the enabling window but nothing happens. So I had to restart the system but it also got stuck at he shutting down screen.
So when I booted the system after a force shutdown, the network adapter was enabled but the same problem happened after some time.

My modem auto connects to the Internet service so I do not dial for connecting to the Internet. I use the same modem to browse Internet from my iPad and the Internet works on the device.
Recently installed a driver for a USB data card.

January 16, 2013 10:32:17 PM

You mention your computer hangs on shutdown. Does it do the same if you keep your internet adapter off? If not then its probably an issue with the internet adapter driver. I take it you are talking about a wifi connection?
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2013 10:52:41 PM

Have you shut down the router for 5 minutes and plugged it back in? That's the usual solution.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 16, 2013 10:57:15 PM

Probably a driver problem but I think it is due to the data card driver I installed. I believe it is somehow interrupting the LAN adapter is some way.
Yes I am talking about wifi
Just to make it clear, iPad on wifi and pc on LAN, Ethernet.
January 16, 2013 11:01:39 PM

DarkSable said:
Have you shut down the router for 5 minutes and plugged it back in? That's the usual solution.

Why shut down the router the router is working as I still can use Internet over wifi.
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2013 11:38:34 PM

Xttony said:
Probably a driver problem but I think it is due to the data card driver I installed. I believe it is somehow interrupting the LAN adapter is some way.
Yes I am talking about wifi
Just to make it clear, iPad on wifi and pc on LAN, Ethernet.

Uninstall the data card driver and see if the issue continues, if not, then there is your source and you will need to look into getting a driver that won't cause a conflict. If it's something that puts off a signal it is likely going to do that every time.

On an older machine I used to have I had a wireless usb adapter and a Media Center remote attached and the adapter would lose signal constantly because it wsa getting confused. It took me a while to isolate it down but it was the MC remote causing interference with it.
January 16, 2013 11:49:27 PM

I tried to uninstall the driver but it got stuck in between. So I had to force restart it. After that the driver wasn't listed under uninstall applications(I o bit uninstaller). But it still appeared under the network adapters section, so I deleted it from there but the problem still continues.
Will try to reinstall driver and then report back.
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2013 12:01:30 AM

Xttony said:
I tried to uninstall the driver but it got stuck in between. So I had to force restart it. After that the driver wasn't listed under uninstall applications(I o bit uninstaller). But it still appeared under the network adapters section, so I deleted it from there but the problem still continues.
Will try to reinstall driver and then report back.

When you get the driver reinstalled, use the connection until it dies and then do the following:

1. Unplug the ethernet cable from your computer.
2. Go to cmd prompt (right click and choose 'Run as Administrator, of course)
3. Type the following 'ping 127.0.0.1' (without the quotes)
4. You should get 4 packets sent and 4 packets received. If you don't then there is something going wonky with your ethernet adapter physically.

Something else to consider is take a look at the NIC port on your computer with the ethernet cable connected.

It should look something similar to this:

The green light should be on constantly and the yellow, or amber, light should be blinking to indicate activity coming through the port. If both lights are going out that is an indication that there is a power issue with the NIC.

!