How is the RNG going to kill me ...

I'm on Dlvl 3. There are two altars in separate rooms and each room
with an altar in it also has a down staircase. I sacced one monster to
convert one of the altars and I sacced two more and I got Mjollnir. Dibs
on how I'm going to mess this up?

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in
>
> > I'm on Dlvl 3. There are two altars in separate rooms and
> > each room
> > with an altar in it also has a down staircase. I sacced one
monster
> > to convert one of the altars and I sacced two more and I got
Mjollnir.
> > Dibs on how I'm going to mess this up?

one of:
Mumak, while helpless or
goblin with wand of death or
polymorph trap around level 11 will turn a raven into a liche or black
dragon or
soldier wielding a cockatrice corpse or
ascension

> [snip very good status]

I declare you ready for the midgame! Be very careful for wands and
traps, you still lack MR, MC, Reflection and (I guess) disintegration
resistance.

good luck and be careful!

I wonder what would happen if you were say lawful, put on a helm of
change alignment (or opposite, dont remember), then sac'd on the new
alignment's altar. If you are now the same alignment as the new altar,
does either god get angry? Does the original one care? Can you then
the original one?

tiny k

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in

> I'm on Dlvl 3. There are two altars in separate rooms and
> each room
> with an altar in it also has a down staircase. I sacced one monster
> to convert one of the altars and I sacced two more and I got Mjollnir.
> Dibs on how I'm going to mess this up?

Alright, now the RNG definitely has it in for me. To wit:

CydeWeys the Fighter St:18/01 Dx:12 Co:18 In:9 Wi:8 Ch:9 Neutral S:21239
Dlvl:7 $:0 HP:82(82) Pw:29(29) AC:-4 Xp:9/4570 T:6824 Satiated

Weapons
b - a +0 dagger
C - an uncursed war hammer named Mjollnir (weapon in hand)
O - an uncursed crossbow (alternate weapon; not wielded)
Armor
c - an uncursed +3 small shield (being worn)
d - an uncursed +0 dwarvish mithril-coat (being worn)
t - a blessed +0 dwarvish iron helm (being worn)
H - an uncursed +0 pair of iron shoes (being worn)
I - an uncursed -1 cloak of displacement (being worn)
Scrolls
y - an uncursed scroll labeled THARR
A - a scroll labeled HACKEM MUCHE
Potions
B - a ruby potion
F - a puce potion
K - a milky potion
Rings
g - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on left hand)
Wands
i - an uncursed wand called frost
o - an uncursed wand of lightning
s - an uncursed wand called slow
D - an uncursed aluminum wand
J - an uncursed wand of striking
Tools
q - an uncursed lamp called oil (lit)
r - a cursed lamp called oil
x - an uncursed lamp called oil
G - an expensive camera
P - a blessed bag called holding
X - a blessed unicorn horn
Gems
u - an uncursed stone called alsonotload
E - an uncursed stone called notload

Contents of the Bag of Holding:

Coins
a - 2549 gold pieces
Comestibles
b - a cram ration
c - a lizard corpse
d - 2 apples
e - 2 eggs
f - a melon
g - a slime mold
h - 2 bananas
i - a candy bar
j - an orange
k - 9 food rations
Scrolls
l - 3 uncursed unlabeled scrolls
m - an uncursed scroll labeled JUYED AWK YACC
n - an uncursed scroll labeled VE FORBRYDERNE
o - a blessed scroll labeled ELAM EBOW
p - an uncursed scroll labeled LEP GEX VEN ZEA
q - an uncursed scroll labeled GARVEN DEH
r - an uncursed scroll called earth
a - a blessed scroll called earth
b - an uncursed scroll labeled VENZAR BORGAVVE
Spellbooks
c - a cursed violet spellbook
d - a cursed indigo spellbook
e - an uncursed violet spellbook
f - an uncursed copper spellbook
Potions
g - an uncursed bubbly potion
h - an uncursed potion called object detection
i - a cursed potion of confusion
j - a cursed swirly potion
k - 3 blessed potions called water
l - a cursed potion called object detection
m - an uncursed cyan potion
Rings
n - an uncursed twisted ring
o - an uncursed opal ring
p - an uncursed emerald ring
q - an uncursed engagement ring

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <Xns960D87193DF052galopagosterrapincy@128.8.10.18>,
Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

> I'm on Dlvl 3. There are two altars in separate rooms and each room
>with an altar in it also has a down staircase. I sacced one monster to
>convert one of the altars and I sacced two more and I got Mjollnir. Dibs
>on how I'm going to mess this up?

Oh, if you survive the magical explosion when the castle wand blows up,
then you'll be killed by Pestilence, while fumbling in your sack for
your spare unicorn horn because your main one was cursed.

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

> I'm on Dlvl 3. There are two altars in separate rooms and each room
> with an altar in it also has a down staircase. I sacced one monster to
> convert one of the altars and I sacced two more and I got Mjollnir. Dibs
> on how I'm going to mess this up?

Energy vortex.

Richard

The RNG really wants me dead. Look at what I just found (item shown as-
is). Notice the only thing I was missing in my armor kit (besides a shirt)
previous to this was gloves.

V - a blessed +4 pair of leather gloves (being worn)

Here's how I'm doing now:

CydeWeys the Warrior St:18/02 Dx:14 Co:18 In:9 Wi:14 Ch:9 Neutral S:111572
Dlvl:9 $:0 HP:154(154) Pw:49(49) AC:-12 Xp:17/933134 T:16506

My AC could be a bit better for my level (incubi, potions of gain level,
and wraiths sort of didn't help), so I'm going to stick around for awhile
on the lower levels and hope for some good drops.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Is there any way to get rid of teleportitis, or at least turn off that
annoying message that comes up every so often when you have teleport
control? I got the killer combo now and I have no more need of
teleportitis ... I hope the gremlin thieving intrinsic thing isn't the only
way left to me to get rid of it :-O

Rings
g - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on left hand)
p - an uncursed ring of searching
Y - an uncursed ring of teleportation (on right hand)

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Cyde Weys wrote:

> Is there any way to get rid of teleportitis, or at least turn off that
> annoying message that comes up every so often when you have teleport
> control? I got the killer combo now and I have no more need of
> teleportitis ... I hope the gremlin thieving intrinsic thing isn't the
> only way left to me to get rid of it :-O

> Rings
> g - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on left hand)
> p - an uncursed ring of searching
> Y - an uncursed ring of teleportation (on right hand)

Well, take the ring of teleportation off! (That goes if you have intrinsic
teleportitis too, of course; in that case the ring doesn't have any
effect)

Raisse, killed by a newt, while helpless

begin quoting Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu>:
> y - an uncursed scroll labeled THARR
> A - a scroll labeled HACKEM MUCHE
> B - a ruby potion
> F - a puce potion
> K - a milky potion
> P - a blessed bag called holding

Stash 'em. Really.

It's got to be a reflex reaction; pick up burnable, stash in bag next
move.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Mania, March.

begin quoting tiny k <kdlittle88@yahoo.com>:
>I wonder what would happen if you were say lawful, put on a helm of
>change alignment (or opposite, dont remember), then sac'd on the new
>alignment's altar.

That works just fine - but generally you are going to convert back, so any
protection you get is useless.
--

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in

> Cyde Weys wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to get rid of teleportitis, or at least turn off
>> that annoying message that comes up every so often when you have
>> teleport control? I got the killer combo now and I have no more need
>> of teleportitis ... I hope the gremlin thieving intrinsic thing isn't
>> the only way left to me to get rid of it :-O
>
>> Rings
>> g - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on left hand)
>> p - an uncursed ring of searching
>> Y - an uncursed ring of teleportation (on right hand)
>
> Well, take the ring of teleportation off! (That goes if you have
> intrinsic teleportitis too, of course; in that case the ring doesn't
> have any effect)

Yeah, but without the ring of teleportation I couldn't use ^T to
teleport at will.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in
>> Well, take the ring of teleportation off! (That goes if you have
>> intrinsic teleportitis too, of course; in that case the ring doesn't
>> have any effect)
>
>Yeah, but without the ring of teleportation I couldn't use ^T to
>teleport at will.

Teleport-at-will has a criterion for triggering that is nothing to do
with having a ring or not. You must have teleportation from any source,
be at least experience level 12 (8 if you are a wizard), or be
polymorphed into something that can teleport. Alternatively, if you
know teleport away, ^T attempts to cast it if you are not confused but
you have failed the previous check.

If you pass the above checks, you must meet the following conditions in
order to actually teleport:

You must have at least 100 nutrition remaining, have a current strength
of 6 or greater, and have at least 20 energy (interestingly, the act
only actually *costs* 19 energy, but the check is "if (u.uen <= energy)"
where energy has been assigned a value that works out as 19.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html