Wish for Tourist

Last response: in Video Games
March 2, 2005 4:00:53 PM

I have a good tourist going at the moment. Im in minetown with a
blessed magic lamp and a co-aligned alter. I have an AC of -1 with a
shield of reflection, cloak of displacement/robe, helm of
brilliance/esp, studded leather armour and a hawaian shirt all
courtesy of a massive armour shop on level 2 and a smaller one on
level 3 :p .

I am not going to let my tourist die while carrying a magic lamp so I
am determined not to go further till I use it. My question is first of
all can I wish for Greyswandir(sp?) as a tourist? I believe I can and
after reading some threads recently about the power of late tourists
with swandir and a silver saber I really want to try this. The other
option as far as I can see is a grey dragon scail mail to pretty much
finish my armour ascension kit apart from speed boots. This would also
give me the reflection/displace/MR combination really early.

At the moment I am using a +0 silver dagger as my main weapon (I have
dagger at basic) and I have about 10-12 plain daggers which I want to
become expert with so I can become a killing machine. My main worry
about wishing for swandir is that i might die while trying to get my
skill up in saber although this shouldnt happen if I am carefull
enough.

Anyway I would apreciate any comments or advice about what to wish for
and also general tourist tactics (in over 10 years of playing this is
by far and away my best tourist). I have ascended about 5 or 6 times
before with all kinds of classes and I have given up many more games
after I cleared the castle.

Thanks in advance,
Owen

More about : tourist

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:35:06 PM

I'm not with Roy Anenov on this one -- light isn't *that* useful, at
least for me, and it's not hard to at least pick up something like
warning which will show you locations of off-screen nasties. The wish
is more important than the light, I'd say.

In fact, I'd say that your choice is obvious -- get gray dragon scale.
Magic resistance protects you from many problems, you'll have to get it
by the end anyway, and getting it from your armor means you can keep
your cloak of displacement on (provided you don't mind it's
cancellation value of only 2 -- typically, I don't mind). I think
it'll be the one thing that increases your survivability the most in
this situation, and for me at least, more games in which I get early
dragon scale mail turn into ascensions than not. Your AC right now is
enough to probably see you through a fight with a soldier ant, though
dragon scale would make it almost trivial I think. The boost of AC
that blessed +2 (foo) dragon scale mail would give you over studded
leather isn't funny.

The other wish alternative in your situation is speed boots, which will
give you a substantial survivability advantage but no magic resistance
and only a minor AC boost.

Tourists are neutral and Grayswandir is lawful. That means you'll at
least get blasted by it. I'd suggest maybe going for Frost Brand
instead.

- John H.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:09:06 PM

SIinky wrote:
<snip promising tourist>

> Anyway I would apreciate any comments or advice about what to wish
for
> and also general tourist tactics (in over 10 years of playing this is
> by far and away my best tourist). I have ascended about 5 or 6 times
> before with all kinds of classes and I have given up many more games
> after I cleared the castle.

I like to wish for a blessed figurine of an archon, if I get multiple
magic lamps in mine town. Granted, that's 80% chance for a wish and
80% chance for a tame archon (10% hostile!), but the money from the
shopkeepers will buy enough protection to make up for the AC of a
GDSM, as well as the fact that an archon adds offense to an early
game. It's risky and sometimes painful, but that's life.

Sean
March 3, 2005 2:56:01 AM

SIinky wrote:
> I have a good tourist going at the moment. Im in minetown with a
> blessed magic lamp and a co-aligned alter. I have an AC of -1 with a
> shield of reflection, cloak of displacement/robe, helm of
> brilliance/esp, studded leather armour and a hawaian shirt all
> courtesy of a massive armour shop on level 2 and a smaller one on
> level 3 :p .
>
> I am not going to let my tourist die while carrying a magic lamp so I
> am determined not to go further till I use it. My question is first of
> all can I wish for Greyswandir(sp?) as a tourist? I believe I can and
> after reading some threads recently about the power of late tourists
> with swandir and a silver saber I really want to try this. The other
> option as far as I can see is a grey dragon scail mail to pretty much
> finish my armour ascension kit apart from speed boots. This would also
> give me the reflection/displace/MR combination really early.
>
> At the moment I am using a +0 silver dagger as my main weapon (I have
> dagger at basic) and I have about 10-12 plain daggers which I want to
> become expert with so I can become a killing machine. My main worry
> about wishing for swandir is that i might die while trying to get my
> skill up in saber although this shouldnt happen if I am carefull
> enough.
>
> Anyway I would apreciate any comments or advice about what to wish for
> and also general tourist tactics (in over 10 years of playing this is
> by far and away my best tourist). I have ascended about 5 or 6 times
> before with all kinds of classes and I have given up many more games
> after I cleared the castle.

I'd save it for the moment.

Not because it is a handy light source (which is indeed a Good Thing), and
not because the wish is not guaranteed (which you should indeed consider!).
But because in your situation there are still a lot possibilities to die,
and, because you don't know what you'll find next around that corner, and,
you don't know what you'll *really* need in the next tough situation.

Wish for something when you have a concrete need to advance in good health.

At that moment, I suspect, it could be the GDSM (if your armor is at risk
since you are on dungeon levels where polytraps appear), it could be speed
boots (if you observe that the creatures are getting faster than you are;
soldier ants, etc., where an artifact weapon won't help at all), etc.

Janis
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:36:48 AM

John H. wrote:
> I'm not with Roy Anenov on this one -- light isn't *that* useful,
> at least for me, and it's not hard to at least pick up something
> like warning which will show you locations of off-screen nasties.
> The wish is more important than the light, I'd say.

Permanent light sources - as well as bags of holding - are not exactly
life-savers. They just help a lot surviving the late-game boredom.

--
roy axenov
Anonymous

SIinky wrote:

> I am not going to let my tourist die while carrying a magic lamp so I
> am determined not to go further till I use it.

Lots of my characters die in posession of a magic lamp. They all use it.

However, they use it in the - in my opinion - superior way: let it burn
forever.

Your first magic lamp shouldn't be wasted on a wish. You'll get plenty
of wishes from the Castle wand. However, this might be the only magic
lamp in your game, and it's your best shot at a permanent light source.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

March 3, 2005 1:48:28 PM

owenisgod1@hotmail.com (SIinky) writes:

> I have a good tourist going at the moment. Im in minetown with a
> blessed magic lamp and a co-aligned alter. I have an AC of -1 with a
> shield of reflection, cloak of displacement/robe, helm of
> brilliance/esp, studded leather armour and a hawaian shirt all
> courtesy of a massive armour shop on level 2 and a smaller one on
> level 3 :p .
>
> I am not going to let my tourist die while carrying a magic lamp so I
> am determined not to go further till I use it. My question is first of
> all can I wish for Greyswandir(sp?) as a tourist?

Yes. Actually, I find this an excellent wish for the tourist,
due to his weapon abilities. However, my personal first wishing
choice would be either G or SDSM, or speed boots. [Or a magic marker
in order to get some Daggers of Death up and running.] Unless
you have reflection, there is a definite chance of YAAD which is
almost unavoidable, the famous bugbear with a death wand, hence
I would go for SDSM most possibly. Though you could trust your
CoD to help you out there, this is a risky bet.

> Anyway I would apreciate any comments or advice about what to wish for
> and also general tourist tactics (in over 10 years of playing this is
> by far and away my best tourist).

General comments: AC is most important, so try and get
every dwarven/elven chain mail and dwarven helm/boots to
the mine town altar and try them. The mines are a supreme
place to get high-quality basic armor. Go for the Daggers of
Death, runed daggers are better than normal ones, speed is very
important, always try to have an escape route for those
soldier ants, only fight in one-to-one places like corridors,
your +2 darts are not to be underestimated. The camera is
only very useful if you decide to go E-word-less. Try to
make some cash by shop-robbery or selling id'ed gems and buy
some protection points. Use the wands you find, no need to
keep them for when you're dead. If you have reflection, you can
do the happy zapper:

@H|

Fun for the whole family.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:50:50 PM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> SIinky wrote:
>
> > I am not going to let my tourist die while carrying a magic lamp so I
> > am determined not to go further till I use it.
>
> Lots of my characters die in posession of a magic lamp. They all use it.
>
> However, they use it in the - in my opinion - superior way: let it burn
> forever.

Tourists can get basic in divination, hence the magic mapping
spell is a viable option. Further, the OP has a helm of
telepathy. I don't see much reasons to keep the magic lamp.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:52:50 PM

roy axenov wrote:
> John H. wrote:

>> I'm not with Roy Anenov on this one -- light isn't *that* useful,
>> at least for me, and it's not hard to at least pick up something
>> like warning which will show you locations of off-screen nasties.
>> The wish is more important than the light, I'd say.

> Permanent light sources - as well as bags of holding - are not exactly
> life-savers. They just help a lot surviving the late-game boredom.

In the early game, they can be: if you don't have telepathy yet and are
playing a race without infravision, seeing something approack in a dark
corridor helps enormously, since you can start throwing daggers.

In the Mines, mapping out a level is over twice as fast when you have a
light source, as well, which means that monsters have only half the time
to kill you.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

March 3, 2005 1:55:36 PM

s_p_lester@yahoo.com wrote:
> SIinky wrote:
> <snip promising tourist>

> [...], but the money from the shopkeepers will buy enough
> protection to make up for the AC of a GDSM, as well as the
> fact that an archon adds offense to an early game.

Well, those points of bought protection could still be purchased if
you'd wished for grey dragon scale mail, which would have doubled your
AC decrease.

Still, I'd say the figurine would be a good wish, indeed.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

March 3, 2005 1:55:37 PM

Stupid google leaves me impatient so im not waiting to update. I just
decided to wish for swandir and rub the lamp and then get the blasted
message "you disturbed me fool" and a peacefull djinni. Oh well I will
save and play again later... To annoyed at the moment
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:45:03 PM

On 3/3/05 4:52 AM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> In the Mines, mapping out a level is over twice as fast when you have a
> light source, as well, which means that monsters have only half the time
> to kill you.

And you don't have to physically step on as many squares.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:46:28 PM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> In the early game, they can be: if you don't have telepathy yet and
are
> playing a race without infravision, seeing something approack in a
dark
> corridor helps enormously, since you can start throwing daggers.

But without magic resistance (from the GDSM he should be wishing for
right now) he could be flung levels below what he's ready for by level
teleport traps, or his current armor could be destroyed by polymorph
traps. And with the tremendous AC bonus *DSM supplies, in addition to
that provided by his other equipment, will make most monsters easy
pickings, negating much of the need to see them from afar.

- John H.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:06:08 PM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

[magic lamp - keeping for light or using for wish?]
> In the Mines, mapping out a level is over twice as fast when you have a
> light source, as well, which means that monsters have only half the time
> to kill you.

However, one or two oil lamps usually are more than enough for me
to map the relevant parts of the mines. The need for a magic lamp
here is not too dire, IMHO.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:05:46 AM

On 2005-03-03, John H. <JohnWH@gmail.com> wrote:

> But without magic resistance (from the GDSM he should be wishing for
> right now) he could be flung levels below what he's ready for by level
> teleport traps, or his current armor could be destroyed by polymorph
> traps. And with the tremendous AC bonus *DSM supplies, in addition to
> that provided by his other equipment, will make most monsters easy
> pickings, negating much of the need to see them from afar.

Cant level teleport traps only send you to (max_level_you've_been_to+1)
or less?

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> Lots of my characters die in posession of a magic lamp. They all use it.
>
> However, they use it in the - in my opinion - superior way: let it
> burn forever.

I used to think like you do on this matter. However, after I realized
that using the Castle wand to wish a magic marker just for writing
magic mapping scrolls, I haven't worried about permanent light
sources.

Permanent light source is essential if you don't use magic mapping. If
you use it, ligit is irrelevant.

Wishing for a dragon scale armor in early game vastly increases the
chances of reaching Castle alive.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 9:43:03 PM

Tommi Syrjanen wrote:

> Wishing for a dragon scale armor in early game vastly increases the
> chances of reaching Castle alive.

Yes.

As do speed boots, ring/amulet of poison resistance, means of reflection (or
magic resistance, depending on what dragon scale mail you meant), amulet of
life saving, potions of full healing, displacement, invisibility, an artifact
weapon, a stack of good daggers, a stethoscope, scrolls of scare monster, and
what else... (A GDSM/SDSM is surely a very good wish.)

But a wish is not enough. The right wish is the key to survive. And *when* do
you know what's the right wish? At the moment when you get your wish, or when
you feel some - concrete - deficiency to remedy?

I understand that people want to take advantage of wishes as fast as possible;
before they die.

Janis
!