FFactoryXX

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Im new at this and dont know if installing the fan an heatsink is hard...i dont want to screw up and from looking at amds installation guide it looks hard...what do u think

G

It does take a bit of practice. The one phrase I use with new guys/gals around here (my computer company, not Tom's community) is "even pressure". Use some thermal grease on both the die and heatsink, put the heatsink on the Athlon (no clips at this point, it's only a test) and apply some even pressure and lift to see if you've made even contact with the cpu die (by looking for a rectangle imprint in the thermal grease on the heatsink). You might have to do this a couple times because those little black pads are fairly stiff. Once you've verified that the heatsink seats properly on the die(ie, makes contact), then you can clip the heatsink on. Now, there are different kinds of clips, but for now I'll assume that you have a basic stock heatsink (CoolerMaster or some varient). There is usually one clip that has a hook or an indent that a screwdriver will fit quite nicely in. That is the clip that will go on last. Start by taking the clip on the opposite side and (tilting the heatsink) slip the clip over the "clip knob" on the side of the socket that DOESN'T have the long bump that says either "SOCKETA" or "SOCKET462". Again, that's the opposite side of the socket. Once this is done, you should be able to tilt the heatsink onto the top of the cpu, just let it rest there. Now you should have on clip on and one clip off. Take a screwdriver (I find the larger the better), and insert it into the grove in the clip. If it doesn't have a screwdriver grove you can try using just your finger of us a screwdriver set ontop of the clip wedging it against where the clip "arm" goes into the heatsink (confused yet?) for stablity. Use even, firm pressure to push the clip down to the clip knob, use just enough pressure to get it there, don't yank on it. If it doesn't snap into place, you may have to carefully wiggle the clip over the knob to get it to grab it properly. Once the clip is on the knob, you should be able to slowly release the pressure and the heatsink should be in place. How give the heatsink a slight twist and wiggle it a bit to make sure the thermal grease seats properly. That should be about it. Oh, and make sure that you use only a bit of thermal grease. When a heatsink is properly installed there is only a paper thin layer between the cpu and the heatsink. Whoa, that was enough typing!

--
Free us from these chains, let us slip these bonds and touch the sky with our imagination.