Inspiron 8600 Locks on Disk Cleanup/Diskeeper or MS Defrag?

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 23, 2004 4:31:21 PM

Can anyone please tell me why my fairly new (1 month) Dell Inspiron 8600 now
locks up when I try to do a Disk Cleanup? I do this on a regular basis
weekly before I do a Defrag. Also, which is better, MS Defrag or Diskeeper?
Thanks, from the illiterate one!
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 5:19:11 PM

"Larz F. Kremer" <lkremer@starpower.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone please tell me why my fairly new (1 month) Dell Inspiron 8600
> now
> locks up when I try to do a Disk Cleanup? I do this on a regular basis
> weekly before I do a Defrag. Also, which is better, MS Defrag or
> Diskeeper?
> Thanks, from the illiterate one!

On the disk cleanup problem, if it's locking up during the "compress old
files" operation see;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248

If you're uncomfortable editing the registry by hand you can apply the
automated fix found here;
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm on line 48 which accomplishes
the same thing. (an "undo" fix is available there too.)

On Diskeeper it has more options some of which allow you to defragment parts
of your harddrive that the built in defrag program cannot access. It also
allegedly does a more thorough job. I personally like it for it's "set it
and forget it" capability that keeps the drive(s) defragmented with no user
intervention. (one less maintenance task to remember)

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.