Inspiron 8600 Locks on Disk Cleanup/Diskeeper or MS Defrag?

Can anyone please tell me why my fairly new (1 month) Dell Inspiron 8600 now
locks up when I try to do a Disk Cleanup? I do this on a regular basis
weekly before I do a Defrag. Also, which is better, MS Defrag or Diskeeper?
Thanks, from the illiterate one!
1 answer Last reply
More about inspiron 8600 locks disk cleanup diskeeper defrag

    "Larz F. Kremer" <lkremer@starpower.net> wrote in message
    > Can anyone please tell me why my fairly new (1 month) Dell Inspiron 8600
    > now
    > locks up when I try to do a Disk Cleanup? I do this on a regular basis
    > weekly before I do a Defrag. Also, which is better, MS Defrag or
    > Diskeeper?
    > Thanks, from the illiterate one!

    On the disk cleanup problem, if it's locking up during the "compress old
    files" operation see;
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248

    If you're uncomfortable editing the registry by hand you can apply the
    automated fix found here;
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm on line 48 which accomplishes
    the same thing. (an "undo" fix is available there too.)

    On Diskeeper it has more options some of which allow you to defragment parts
    of your harddrive that the built in defrag program cannot access. It also
    allegedly does a more thorough job. I personally like it for it's "set it
    and forget it" capability that keeps the drive(s) defragmented with no user
    intervention. (one less maintenance task to remember)

    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

Dell Defragment Inspiron Disk Cleanup Computers