Design question - Browser / Palm clients

February 15, 2005 3:02:02 PM

Beware - novice question.
I'm doing a systems analysis to a solution involving a Web server and
browser clients.
Suppose I want to have clients based on PDAs (= Palms).
The users will probably syncronize (mostly pull data) with the office
back-end systems.
What would the GUI on the Palm look like?
Does it have a mini-browser?
In a perfect world, I would like it to be transparent.
How transparent can it really be?
TIA
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:12:35 AM

Thanks.
By "transparent" I meant that the presentation layer will not have to
change.
Browser on the PC will give the same functionality as the mini-browser
on the PDA.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:42:55 AM

In article <1108497722.457702.48360@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Nananana" <dnoam@il.ibm.com> wrote:

> Beware - novice question.
> I'm doing a systems analysis to a solution involving a Web server and
> browser clients.
> Suppose I want to have clients based on PDAs (= Palms).
> The users will probably syncronize (mostly pull data) with the office
> back-end systems.
> What would the GUI on the Palm look like?
> Does it have a mini-browser?
> In a perfect world, I would like it to be transparent.
> How transparent can it really be?

There are several browsers for Palm devices. Why not download them and
check them out?

P.S.--I don't know what you mean by "transparent" in this context. On any
browser, you'd usually have to click on a download link.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:17:01 PM

In article <1108537955.296605.78800@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Nananana wrote:
> By "transparent" I meant that the presentation layer will not have to
> change.
> Browser on the PC will give the same functionality as the mini-browser
> on the PDA.

If you're designing the app, test out some Palm browsers and find one
you can live with. Code to its limitations and test occasionally with
the PC end.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Improving our overall fuel efficiency by just 2.7 miles per gallon
would completely eliminate our need for oil from the Persian Gulf."
- Bill Maher, "When You Ride Alone You Ride With bin Laden"
!