How the RNG did kill me

Last response: in Video Games
March 4, 2005 10:11:18 PM

My promising valkyrie died just now. You'll never guess what
happened ...

I ran into an invisible Archon wielding Excalibur on Dlvl 21. Must've been
someone's bones level. I sparred with it on many occasions. Finally, I
went down there with the intention of killing it. It stunned and blinded
me, and used up my AoLS. So I figure .. that's it, I'm gonna use my WoD on
him. And then ... I don't know, maybe the Archon had reflection or
something, but it killed me instead. *sob*

I didn't have any magic reflection or magic protection at this point, so I
suppose I just should've stayed above Dlvl21 for awhile until I could
handle that archon.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

More about : rng kill

March 4, 2005 10:11:19 PM

Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
> On 2005-03-04, BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
> >> Zapping a wand of death without either of these things is a
> >> dangerous proposition
> > Or any wand, for that matter.
>
> Not really- some wands are completely safe: wishing, secret door
> detection, nothing, opening, locking, probing, etc etc...

No *cursed* wand is *completely* safe.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:25:19 PM

On 2005-03-04, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
> My promising valkyrie died just now. You'll never guess what
> happened ...
>
> I ran into an invisible Archon wielding Excalibur on Dlvl 21. Must've been
> someone's bones level. I sparred with it on many occasions. Finally, I
> went down there with the intention of killing it. It stunned and blinded
> me, and used up my AoLS. So I figure .. that's it, I'm gonna use my WoD on
> him. And then ... I don't know, maybe the Archon had reflection or
> something, but it killed me instead. *sob*

Most powerful angelic beings are created with shieldsof reflection.

> I didn't have any magic reflection or magic protection at this point, so I
> suppose I just should've stayed above Dlvl21 for awhile until I could
> handle that archon.

Zapping a wand of death without either of these things is a dangerous
proposition- for that matter, carrying one without MR is dangerous...

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
> Zapping a wand of death without either of these things is a dangerous
> proposition
Or any wand, for that matter.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:05:03 AM

On 2005-03-04, BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
>> Zapping a wand of death without either of these things is a dangerous
>> proposition
> Or any wand, for that matter.

Not really- some wands are completely safe: wishing, secret door
detection, nothing, opening, locking, probing, etc etc...

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:25:05 AM

On 2005-03-04, Nathan <ntspam2@netscape.net> wrote:

> No *cursed* wand is *completely* safe.

Sorry- I was thinking of slashem where all the effects are wand type
dependent, and doesnt always involve the HP loss to start with.
--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> writes:

> him. And then ... I don't know, maybe the Archon had reflection or
> something, but it killed me instead. *sob*

You just learned an important thing about archons. Hence,
the death was no complete loss. My sympathies neverless.

Best,
Jakob
!