How the RNG did kill me

My promising valkyrie died just now. You'll never guess what
happened ...

I ran into an invisible Archon wielding Excalibur on Dlvl 21. Must've been
someone's bones level. I sparred with it on many occasions. Finally, I
went down there with the intention of killing it. It stunned and blinded
me, and used up my AoLS. So I figure .. that's it, I'm gonna use my WoD on
him. And then ... I don't know, maybe the Archon had reflection or
something, but it killed me instead. *sob*

I didn't have any magic reflection or magic protection at this point, so I
suppose I just should've stayed above Dlvl21 for awhile until I could
handle that archon.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

    Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
    > On 2005-03-04, BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
    > >> Zapping a wand of death without either of these things is a
    > >> dangerous proposition
    > > Or any wand, for that matter.
    >
    > Not really- some wands are completely safe: wishing, secret door
    > detection, nothing, opening, locking, probing, etc etc...

    No *cursed* wand is *completely* safe.

    On 2005-03-04, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    > My promising valkyrie died just now. You'll never guess what
    > happened ...
    >
    > I ran into an invisible Archon wielding Excalibur on Dlvl 21. Must've been
    > someone's bones level. I sparred with it on many occasions. Finally, I
    > went down there with the intention of killing it. It stunned and blinded
    > me, and used up my AoLS. So I figure .. that's it, I'm gonna use my WoD on
    > him. And then ... I don't know, maybe the Archon had reflection or
    > something, but it killed me instead. *sob*

    Most powerful angelic beings are created with shieldsof reflection.

    > I didn't have any magic reflection or magic protection at this point, so I
    > suppose I just should've stayed above Dlvl21 for awhile until I could
    > handle that archon.

    Zapping a wand of death without either of these things is a dangerous
    proposition- for that matter, carrying one without MR is dangerous...

    --
    Andrew D. Hilton
    UPenn Phd Student

    Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
    > Zapping a wand of death without either of these things is a dangerous
    > proposition
    Or any wand, for that matter.

    On 2005-03-04, Nathan <ntspam2@netscape.net> wrote:

    > No *cursed* wand is *completely* safe.

    Sorry- I was thinking of slashem where all the effects are wand type
    dependent, and doesnt always involve the HP loss to start with.
    --
    Andrew D. Hilton
    UPenn Phd Student

    Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> writes:

    > him. And then ... I don't know, maybe the Archon had reflection or
    > something, but it killed me instead. *sob*

    You just learned an important thing about archons. Hence,
    the death was no complete loss. My sympathies neverless.

    Best,
    Jakob

Games Video Games