Sign in with
Your question

Please help computer sleep problem...

Last response: in Windows 7
January 17, 2013 2:53:08 AM

ok so i came back to my computer being in sleep mode and went to wake it up and i got a black screen and my keyboards number lock keys wouldn't light up,i tryed to reset my pc twice and i ended up having to switch the power completely off to boot back up . my temps are good and im stable in prime 95 never go over 60c i was fine for a week or so after my overclock so i dont think it is that as the computer has given me no problems till now. i was able to recreate this by going back into sleep mode to test to see if it was a real problem or small glitch and i had to again fully switch the power supply power off, any help would much be appreciated as i have just ordered 300$ in new parts for this pc and for it to go out right after i just put more money into it would be horrible

More about : computer sleep problem

January 17, 2013 3:04:08 AM

Well you can always just turn off sleep for the computer. I usually just shut it off at night to save power.
m
l
January 17, 2013 3:05:51 AM

well yes but that wouldn't solve what the problem is..
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 3:07:53 AM

what is also quite odd is i was able to recreate it,but now that i have posted about this it doesn't seem to be doing it now when i test it
m
l
January 17, 2013 3:09:28 AM

set the timer settings to 0, no sleep no problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2013 3:34:00 AM

This is a KNOWN problem however the cause can vary a bit.

I've seen the following help:
1) Update the BIOS
2) RESET the CMOS
3) Uninstall and Reinstall video drivers
4) Reinstall Windows

Unfortunately, sometimes the issue is a corrupted file which is hard to fix beyond reinstalling Windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2013 3:45:04 AM

robthatguyx said:
what is also quite odd is i was able to recreate it,but now that i have posted about this it doesn't seem to be doing it now when i test it
It won't happen again for a while...

The sleep mode problem is common in Windows XP and I suppose in Windows 7 as well. It's one of those small problems Microsoft hasn't dealt with.. like not deleting the temporal files when they are no longer needed.

In Windows XP, the Hiberfil file which saves the open files, programs and settings at the time the computer goes on sleep mode, that file gets corrupted so when you push the power on button, it gets stuck trying to load the saved data... and when you shut the computer down, the file loses all the save data and it's fresh for the next sleep mode.

To prevent the problem, what I do is let the computer go on sleep mode at most from 7 to 10 nights and shut it down once... so it starts over with a fresh Hiberfil file.

Another solution is deleting the C:\Hiberfil file occasionally, so the system rebuilds it clean and fresh without having to shutdown the computer once.
m
l
January 17, 2013 12:36:54 PM

alright guys, thanks i feel alot better knowing that this is a common problem.
m
l
!