CPUs for a $ each.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Well... not really. But, they might aswell be. The way the prices are dropping, it will get there quite soon.

Its funny how the tbird 1.3MHz is $20 cheaper than the 1.3MHz P4. and the 1.33MHz tbird is still $10 lower than the 1.3MHz P4. Both AMD chips are faster than the Intel chip.

I think pric ewise AMD are still giving the better deal.

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/18603.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/18603.html</A>

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Intel is not going to lower the cost of the 1.3 P4's, They are flat out dropping the chip.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have got to love competition!

I wonder at what price the Northwood chips will premier at? I would hope that Intel's history of inflated chip pricing is over. If the Northwood pricing structure is the same as the P4 when it was released, I would still opt for an Athlon ($200 vs $700).

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

I guarentee than Northwood will be cheaper, at least because of the .13 micron process it is built on.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Don't forget the 300mm wafers that Intel is now using. AMD will continue using 200mm wafers until at least 2004.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

I strongly suspect that Intel's prices are set more by what the market will bear then by the actual manufacturing costs.

Does anybody here think that they just made some breakthrough that lets them make P4's for half what it cost to make them a few weeks ago?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.