Windows 7 is stuck on "Starting Windows"

First I will tell you my set-up

Asus P5K SE/EPU Mobo
Core 2 Quad q6600 @2.40gHZ (Not OC'd)
Evga 8800 GT Video card w/ 256 Gddr (probably 3)
2x2Gig sticks of Reaper X series ram
normal DVD Optical Drive
500 Gig HDD 7200 RPM

Okay, so it had Windows XP originally, and still does. But it is 32 Bit instead of 64 and I am using Adobe After Effects to create intros for
Vlogs that I want to start making. This machine could handle it with out a doubt but, It would be amazing if Win 7 would boot instead of sitting at the "Starting Windows" screen. I really don't want to wipe the drive due to it being given to me, it still has my friends stuff on there. But if all else I might be able to talk him into it. What do you think about this and if possible, a way to get around having to wipe the drive.

Thank you
Robert-
3 answers Last reply
More about windows stuck starting windows
  1. Did you try this? Shut it down, pull the power cord, let it sit a few minutes, then reconnect and power on. This happened to me before and it fixed it for a while. You can always start the computer in safe mode and then run some diagnostic tests on the computer if that method didnt do anything.
  2. You can't do an upgrade from 32-bit to 64bit, so i'm not sure what you did.
  3. Well I did make a new partition, But the processor was made for a 64 bit OS, I think what i will do is save all the files like movies, songs.. ect.. and just wipe it clean and put Win 7 on it, then put the saved files back on to the computer thank you for your sugestions though, :) I'll give it another shot though
    Robert-
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7