Need Help deciding new Machine

G

Hi there, I am in the process of upgrading my old p2-333 system something a bit more "Moden"

I am a heavy games feak ) and trying to get the most bang for my buck. Can anyone offer me any other suggestions to this system please

Currently this is my ideal system

AMD Athlon 1200MHZ 266 FSB
Abit KT7A Motherboard
128M PC2100 DRR SDRAM
IBM Deskstar 60g 75GXP 7200rpm
52X LG cdrom
Creative 32x12x10 CD-RW drive

I am taking the Video card from my old system which is a Gforce 2 ultra.

I have been told to get a P3 1.3gig is this a better solution for my needs?

BTW I live in a autralia so it is pretty tough to try and get the latest hardware out there.

These items I am looking at a from<A HREF="http://www.umart.com.au" target="_new">Umart</A>

Thanks in Advance.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
P4 just dropped in price, might i suggest

P4 and Abit TH7 RAID motherboard
256MB ram minimum (some P4 processors ship with 128MB ram)
a pair of IBM drives is fine(nice performance boost from raid 0), DTLA or GXP
Sure you dont want to get DVD/CDROM drive as primary CDROM?

www.pricewatch.com

www.resellerratings.com

DO NOT ORDER before you check out vendor at reseller ratings.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
No such thing as a P3 1.3 gig. I'll assume they meant a p4 1.3 gig which I wouldn't waste my money on. If your dying for a P4 then get the 1.5 at least. The P4 1.3 gig did not benefit from the massive pricedrop like the other P4's.

At those prices at the shop you buying from your only hope is to go the AMD route. Damn!! That is Australia right? If I'm not mistaken Aussie's dollar is worth about .51 American. Even still that's expensive.

Otherwise stick with your setup, I'm sure you already planned on buying that anyway.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

G

Thanks for your reply, Your right sorry was meaning the p4 1.3gig.

I am not 100% convinced of this machine use to being a Intel man.

I have been told Athons are very good. and P4's are just outside my price range by a long shot, until the price drops hits Australia (Not sure if it will either with the Aussie dollar worth what it is).

So time for me to go back and do some thinking for awhile. any maybe hold off buying 1 or 2 days )

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"until the price drops hits Australia"

Mail-order is global. Check www.pricewatch.com.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A couple things that I noticed:

The KT7A can only use PC-133 or PC-100, not DDR. (Get PC-133 for that processor.)
256MB instead of 128MB.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

G

Dsutcliffe, Thanks for that one save me from making one mistake, been told that instead of the Abit KT7A I should get the Asus A7A266 or the Asus A7M266, Reading about both of them any they both sound like good boards.

I belive both of them will take the PC2100 Memory which does give a bit of a performance bost.

Regards