kstall

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Ok, here is my dilemma. I have an AMD 1.2 Ghz Thunderbird chip. I have been having overheat problems for sometime now. I went to a local PC place today and was talking to them about the problem. They suggested I use thermal tape and not compound. CPU had their thermal compound applied to it already, seemed to be fine. Asked them about compound already on CPU and if it should removed, they said yes. I said how, they said just wipe it off carefully, I did with a paper towel...very easily. Applied thermal tape to Heatsink and resitted heatsink/fan. Left tab hanging out of heatsink that tape had attached to it romved other side to stick to heatsink. Applied power, video posted, RAM posted. Very slight pop and system is now DOA. No, screen, no post, no beeps, just the fans kick on when power is applied. I am so screwed cause I know the answer. But I am hopefully....a little. Anybody got any thoughts? What should be my recourse? CPU was bought from other vendor.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Call up the vendor and tell him what happened. Either you or AMD is going to end up paying for this broken CPU. It's in your best interest to make sure it's AMD.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think you should go back tot he vendor that suggested thermal tape as a good solution. They contributed bad advice to you resulting in blowing your cpu for a $5 sale.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it sems the cpu is blown. bad advice by your vendor. you could have bought a better HSF. anyway, try your cpu in some other known good system, if it doesnt work, take it back to the vendor and get it replaced.
thermal compounds are quite good especially when used with a good HSF.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If & when you get your CPU working I’ve read some tests and good thermal paste all ways beats tape. The best pastes have silver in them like Arctic Silver. Also you did not mention what heat sink you were using. I’m using a FOP38 and there are tons off other good heat sinks out now. Spend the 40 bucks and get a good one. Your CPU will thank you later.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
When purchasing an Athlon you must remember to add a top of the line heatsink and some Artic Silver to the price tag. It requires these things. Lower quality HSF supplies tend to lead to burnouts more often.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sorry man, but it doesn't look good for your CPU. Was it an OEM processor or Retail version? The retail version have good warranties on them, the OEM's don't have that good. And how long have you had the processor?