Reliable Laptop for the GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

My GF is looking to get a new laptop and is asking for my advice. I don't know anything about laptops, so I thought I'd ask you guys...

Her requirements are pretty basic: she wants a reliable computer with a 17" screen and an HDMI output. She tends to keep her computers until long after they reach a point that I'd consider "non-functioning", so reliability/support is probably the most important consideration.

Can you guys recommend a manufacturer? Are Acers reliable/well supported?

Thanks for your help.

-Pat

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
How much you want to spend is always an important question when looking at laptops that are "best for you."

I found 2 suggestions, at 2 different price ranges, that I think will fit well.

The first is the Acer Aspire 7552 at $799. It has your 17.3 in screen, 4 GB RAM, and 500 GB hard drive. Great computer. Here's the link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=28c18ecc-d519-e011-89fb-02bf9d3bf32a

Next, for more pricey range, there is the Sony VAIO F at $1,119. It comes with the sweet i7 core processor, which is a beast, and 4GB RAM, and 500 hard drive. It even has Blu-Ray R for added benefit, which is really nice. Here's the link - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=1e070925-a007-df11-927f-02bf9d3bf32a

Like I said, its all about what you're gonna do with the laptop, and how much you want to spend. I think this is a good start. Let me know what you think.

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

pcarroll0813

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
No real limit spending-wise, but since her requirements are so minimal I figure cheap is better. I spent 2 min on Newegg and found one for $800 that would more than meet her needs so let's say $800 is the max. But again, she really doesn't need it to do much.

As far as battery life goes, she said if it can still hold 2 hours after a year or two she'd be ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.