SuperSpeed USB More Like HalfSpeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
so using a fast USB 3.0 device will cause most single core computers to lag like hell?

ah, well. the added bandwidth sure sounds great! but if USB 2.0 is only running at half its bandwidth capacity most of the time, what makes this any different?

G

I think it's pretty lame to rely on the CPU to do the transfer.

joex444

Distinguished
I use eSATA.

Few devices will make any meaningful use of USB3.0 when it comes out, but by the time we're ready for USB4.0 we will find USB2.0 to be pathetic. So I guess it makes sense to move towards USB3.0 at this time, but for external HDs we should expand eSATA. It is the simplest way to do things, even the best constructed USB3.0 -> SATA interface will rob some bandwidth from the HD that a direct eSATA connection would offer.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]so using a fast USB 3.0 device will cause most single core computers to lag like hell?ah, well. the added bandwidth sure sounds great! but if USB 2.0 is only running at half its bandwidth capacity most of the time, what makes this any different?[/citation]

usb2 is already beyond its limits so usb3 is a welcome improvement. Let's just hope everybody has quadcores or better when it's released though. Or perhaps an onboard c7 processor or something to handle usb?

In any event - attach a harddrive or 2 webcams to an usb2 hub and you're out of bandwidth - so it's not exactly early to release a new standard

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]joex444[/nom]... So I guess it makes sense to move towards USB3.0 at this time, but for external HDs we should expand eSATA.[/citation]

eSATA is nice, in that it directly exposes the SATA interface, but it is not as ubiquidous as USB, and hasn't seen any implementation outside of harddrives (i.e. it's a single purpose bus). When USB first came out I didn't like the idea. Up to 127 devices all sharing the same 1Mbps of bandwidth (later increased to 12Mbps)? Talk about slow. Even when USB2 came out, the delivered speed never matched the advertised speed (I used FireWire for all my external drives). The only nice thing about USB is that it's cheap, and truly universal. No other bus supports your keyboard, mouse, camera, MP3 player, ThumbDrives, External Harddrives, printers, microphones, headphones, remote controls, ethernet, etc... all at the same time (even if at terribly reduced speeds).

I'm not sure what market USB is trying to cater to with 5Mbps. I think they're trying to crowd out other protocols such as eSATA, DisplayLink/HDMI, Gig-E, etc... and I don't think anyone ever intended for USB to be that all-consuming. I also thought the original plan was to make a dual-purpose connector for the next USB, so it had the original USB pin-outs, but special USB3 sockets would be able to acces additional, recessed pins for the increased bandwidht. I guess they decided to drop that idea, which will greatly hurt it adoption rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.