it happened again! and a non-related YANI

Last response: in Video Games
March 5, 2005 7:31:36 PM

My character was fainting from hunger. A gas spore was adjacent to my monk
and when the monk prayed and was surrounded by a shimmering light the gas
spore pulled back as if it could attack me.

How patently odd.

I think this may have been brought up before, perhaps not. On full moons or
when a player is sufficiently lucky there's a small chance that stumbling
upon a falling rock trap will release an actual gemstone (unidentified, of
course) instead of a regular rock or stone.

On the gripping hand, there should be the same chance during new moons or
while a character is sufficiently unlucky that a boulder is released
instead of a rock or stone.

My original idea behind this YANI was have the rock trap be like a sink.
One guaranteed object. Unfortunately I think it would lead to abuse and
take away from the fun of the game.

More about : happened related yani

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 9:29:20 PM

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> My character was fainting from hunger. A gas spore was adjacent to my monk
> and when the monk prayed and was surrounded by a shimmering light the gas
> spore pulled back as if it could attack me.
>
> How patently odd.

Taken from the spoiler 'intr-343.txt' and rot13'd (go to rot13.com,
copy/paste the following, and click 'cypher'):

vaihyarenovyvgl
npdhverq ol
Cenlvat fhpprffshyyl (sbe gur qhengvba bs gur cenlre).
rssrpgf
Zbafgref jvyy abg nggnpx; orvat fjnyybjrq unf ab vyy rssrpgf.
Ab rkregvba qnzntr fhssrerq sebz bireraphzoenapr.
Ab UC ertrarengvba.
Ab uhatre vapernfr.
Gryrcbegvgvf, cbylzbecuvgvf, naq ylpnaguebcl jvyy abg xvpx va.
Nyy gvzref bgure guna yhpx abeznyvfngvba ner unygrq.

> I think this may have been brought up before, perhaps not. On full moons or
> when a player is sufficiently lucky there's a small chance that stumbling
> upon a falling rock trap will release an actual gemstone (unidentified, of
> course) instead of a regular rock or stone.
>
> On the gripping hand, there should be the same chance during new moons or
> while a character is sufficiently unlucky that a boulder is released
> instead of a rock or stone.
>
> My original idea behind this YANI was have the rock trap be like a sink.
> One guaranteed object. Unfortunately I think it would lead to abuse and
> take away from the fun of the game.

We should instead make it so that the rock trap can give, at most, one
gem, but it's not guaranteed (like rings when quaffing from a sink).

This is probably how your falling rock trap should work. Other than
that, I think it's a pretty good idea.

-----
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:35:18 AM

On 2005-03-06, Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:

> Taken from the spoiler 'intr-343.txt' and rot13'd (go to rot13.com,
> copy/paste the following, and click 'cypher'):
>
> vaihyarenovyvgl
> npdhverq ol
> Cenlvat fhpprffshyyl (sbe gur qhengvba bs gur cenlre).
> rssrpgf
> Zbafgref jvyy abg nggnpx; orvat fjnyybjrq unf ab vyy rssrpgf.
> Ab rkregvba qnzntr fhssrerq sebz bireraphzoenapr.
> Ab UC ertrarengvba.
> Ab uhatre vapernfr.
> Gryrcbegvgvf, cbylzbecuvgvf, naq ylpnaguebcl jvyy abg xvpx va.
> Nyy gvzref bgure guna yhpx abeznyvfngvba ner unygrq.

I think the point was that a gas spore has no attacks, other than
blowing up when you kill it- so it doesnt make sense for it to start
attacking you and pull back
--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

In article <cPSdnbuf8cdE07ffRVn-3A@comcast.com>,
Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:

>Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>> My character was fainting from hunger. A gas spore was adjacent to my monk
>> and when the monk prayed and was surrounded by a shimmering light the gas
>> spore pulled back as if it could attack me.
>>
>> How patently odd.
>
>Taken from the spoiler 'intr-343.txt' and rot13'd (go to rot13.com,
>copy/paste the following, and click 'cypher'):

I think you misunderstood what was odd about it. Gas Spores only have a
passive attack. Since they aren't blind they can be scared by scare
monster, and since they are not sessile, they can move, so they can turn
to flee. But what's uncharacteristic of them is that they "start to
attack you, but pull back", even though they weren't going to attack you
in the first place, regardless of you praying to the gods, because they
*can't*.

It would make sense if they merely "pull back", but "starts to attack"
makes absolutely no sense at all.

Are we to understand that pleasing your deity with prayer actually
*causes* the passive creature to decide to start to attack, and then
decide against it? That's the only situation where they even consider
attacking; even conflict + aggravate doesn't incite them.

--
Nesta, killed by a gas spore's explosion.
% - a piece of food (elf corpse named Nesta)

Shadow wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:

>> My character was fainting from hunger. A gas spore was adjacent to
>> my monk and when the monk prayed and was surrounded by a shimmering
>> light the gas spore pulled back as if it could attack me.

>> How patently odd.

> Taken from the spoiler 'intr-343.txt':

> invulnerability
> acquired by
> Praying successfully (for the duration of the prayer).
> effects
> Monsters will not attack; being swallowed has no ill effects.
> No exertion damage suffered from overencumbrance.
> No HP regeneration.
> No hunger increase.
> Teleportitis, polymorphitis, and lycanthropy will not kick in.
> All timers other than luck normalisation are halted.

[ Rot-13 removed: this is a spoilers newsgroup ]

I believe Haakon is perfectly aware of this. He understands how
invulnerability works. His problem is in the fact that a gas spore never
attacks, so it shouldn't be able to produce a message "the gas spore
backs away", or something like that.

> -----

Please use a proper delimiter, consisting only of "-- ", not five
dashes.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

March 6, 2005 6:33:50 PM

Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> writes:
> My character was fainting from hunger. A gas spore was adjacent to my monk
> and when the monk prayed and was surrounded by a shimmering light the gas
> spore pulled back as if it could attack me.
>
> How patently odd.

Known bug C343-56, "fixed in the next bug-fix release".

: "You boil it in sawdust: you salt it in glue: / You condense it with :
: locusts and tape: / Still keeping one principal object in view -- / :
: To preserve its symmetrical shape." [ Lewis Carroll, "THotS" ] :
!