i hate amd vs. i hate Intel

G

God, so many people around here are biased toward either AMD or Intel and refuse to acknowledge that both are good companies. When you can get a DDR thunderbird or a P4 that are equally fast for the same price, why not just go for the best deal you can find? It looks like Intel is getting competitive again so we can look forward to seeing better, faster, cheaper processors from both companies in the following years. People like tbirdinside and AMDmeltdown refuse to look at the facts and see that, while both have their flaws, the Tbird and P4 are both fine processors. Spewing slogans like "Intel sucks!!!" and vice versa only show how limited your knowledge is. Both companies are fine.
That said, I probably wouldnt buy a P4 right now cuz I refuse to put my hard-earned money into a company as shady and untrustworthy as Rambus.

So, am I wrong? Any comments appreciated.

-pedro229

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hear hear!
competition is good for US!
u think intel would be selling thier new P4 at $350 if amd want around???
and you think AMD would do the same if intel was around?

ThePoo!

G

Im sorry to beat a dead horse... but if the AMD platform was as stable and reliable as Intel.. I would be glad to buy there chips/mobo's and I would sing praises all day about AMD. But the fact is, the AMD platform is not stable nor reliable mostly because VIA chipsets are 2nd rate trash! If or when AMD can put out a reliable stable motherboard I will gladly buy it.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
“I hate to beat a dead horse” But you are confusing stability with compatibility. My 900 @ 1 gig Tbird is rock stable, even more so then my gateway PII 300. I can leave it on for weeks on end playing games and crunching SETI with no crashes, lockups or anything.

AMD with VIA chipsets are not unstable they just are harder to set up sometimes. I didn’t have too many problems when I built my system (A7V, Geforce 2 MX, ext.) and the problems I did have were mostly self inflicted.
I will reiterate, AMD with VIA chipsets are just as stable and reliable as any Intell system.
I mean how can something be more then 100% stable.

Some one show me a Intel computer more stable then my AMD and I will write a statement that I was wrong. Via chipsets just have some compatibility issues but most if not all can be resolved with new drivers.

So there you go Everett. I will gladly send you a list of all the components of my system and help you configure your new AMD system (with VIA chipset). And you can get a 1.2 gig for the same money I spent on my 900:) Enjoy!

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Here here,

I'm not a computer expert, but I do understand what all the parts do, and how to install them, and I too built my of Via-Athlon system. A 1gig 'C' Axia version that is well past the 1ghz mark (1350) right now, with a 150mhz Fsb (300DDR), and this thing is rock solid. So this claim about stability and Intel going hand in hand is ill-advised. Anyone remember the 820 boards? Anyways I'm rambling, show me a $140 Intel chip that will do 1.475ghz and I'll glady eat my words, air cooling only please.

G

Come over to my house
whats not stable about AMD???

I have built at least 20 Athlon system in the past few months
all 100% fine

Show ME INSTABILITY!

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ive never seen so many newbies and journeyman in one post.

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

G

"I will reiterate, AMD with VIA chipsets are just as stable and reliable as any Intell system."
"you are confusing stability with compatibility."

How stable is your VIA system when you swap out a piece of hardware that doesnt play nice with VIA motherboards? Like the SBLive! soundcard, which many VIA users are having problems with, or how about certain USB devices that can lock up VIA systems. How stable will your system be then? Stability and compatiblity go hand-in-hand. Stability is more then just being able to say "Gee.. my system has not crashed in a whole week."

(By the way, If you want to agrue that the SBLive and USB works just great on your system.. I can show you plenty of evidence that threre is a real and serious problem that many other VIA users have. Not only that, I can show you plenty of other problems with VIA systems too.)

G

"ive never seen so many newbies and journeyman in one post."

O' great one. Please pay no mind to us lowly peasants.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There's a lot of 'operator error' involved with AMD system, as opposed to ntel systems. I've had two dell computers, one desktop and one laptop. Both had 'toned down' bios settings, which are overridden by windows no matter what. Obviously, I didn't overlock either. AMD systems, on the other hand, are a little more configurable. Can't change the multiplier on the pentiums, but you sure as heck can on the t-birds.

A close analogy is Linux vs. Windows. Linux is all about customization, but you'll have to learn about it rather indepth to do anything with it; even the simplest of chores. Windows is made for 'plug-and-play' (kind of =).

Via has problems, there's no doubt.
Lets' see: hard drive failures, os drivers, bios drivers, motherboard design, processor design, cdrom failures, power supplies, heat, emi interference, mouse/keyboard, monitor, video card design. Sounds like a government operation to me; fifty different parts made by two hundred different manufacturers, all supposed to fit together. And to top it off, one manufacturer has made the majority of the standards (ntel)......

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don’t have a SB live card so I can’t argue with you on that one. I have no Idea how well they work together or if it’s just one brand of mobo or all via chipsets. Maybe I should start a new subject and look into it. As for USB, My mouse works with no problem and I used a scanner with out a hitch on my A7V. I know people like to bash VIA and maybe they disserve it but I personally have had good luck with em.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

G

"I know people like to bash VIA and maybe they disserve it but I personally have had good luck with em."

Im glad to hear that. I really am. But its too bad every other VIA/AMD owner cant say that.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>How stable is your VIA system when you swap out a piece of hardware that doesnt play nice with VIA motherboards? Like the SBLive! soundcard, which many VIA users are having problems with, or how about certain USB devices that can lock up VIA systems.</b>
I have 2 systems A7V and KT7-Raid, and both of them use SBlaster Live! I haven't experienced any problem at all even with USB (I'm using printer Epson 740 and 880, BestData USB modem, Sony Digital camera). I installed a Microtek ScanMaker 3600 for my brother using USB (Biostar w/ Duron 600) and didn't hear any complain either.
About the lock-up, sometimes it's easy to be fixed by driver such as Diamond MonsterSound MX-300 used to lockup my brother's system when I load Diamond's driver until I replace the Reference driver from Vortex.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Everett6,

From my point of view you are absolutely correct about Via. It would be interesting to see the potential of Athlon with a good chipset.

I have an Abit KT7-RAID. It is rock stable, has never crashed. But it took a day of research to get my USB working properly. I almost bought a PCI USB board! The USB on my system is solid now, but I wonder if I will lose the stability if I reconfigure the machine.

I have read responses from other users on AMD based forums that had the same problems and were unable to correct them. They opted for the PCI addon USB ports.

I have a SBlive! board as well, and have not had any problems with it. But I can read, and cannot deny that the problems exist. I had the USB problem, and was lucky enough to be able to FIND THE CONFIGURATION that allowed the USB to function properly.

Once stable, the VIA KT133(a) chipsets are fine. But changing your configuration is a crapshoot. This shouldn't be.

My next AMD system will not have a VIA chipset.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Funny, I don't recognize your name from when Tom had his forum on Aldelphi, but hey I've only been viewing Toms for 4 years now, so what the hell do I know.

G

"Funny, I don't recognize your name from when Tom had his forum on Aldelphi, but hey I've only been viewing Toms for 4 years now, so what the hell do I know."

So you know every member on Tom's forum since 1997? Wow! thats really amazing.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Nope, It's called sarcasm. Mearly stating that just because I don't have addict next to my name doesn't mean that I havn't been here before, and that my opinion matters any less.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Right on man. I've built both Intel and AMD, albeit mostly AMD lately. I'll admit a little more reliability with intel...but not much. But I'll also say better performance/price from AMD.

Here's a thought...When I go to the computer shows (every month) It seems the people who build their own boxes typically want AMD, NO DOUBT FOR PRICE/PERFORMANCE reasons. Where as, ppl who want INTEL can pay more and mostly want stability...and therefore tend to go to the computer shops to have someone else build their computer...also, since they're concerned with stability and not price they get that, eh-hem, warranty security blanket they need.

All this means that those ppl who DO have Intel problems
don't post!!! They take it back to the computer shop.

Where as...the AMD PPL get it done at home and here on the forum...which makes it falsely SEEM as if AMD has MORE problems than Intel.

Okay..flame on dudes heh

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
At one time there were _thousands_ of posts on overclocking your celery. Whatever is most popular with the diy crowd will produce the most posts.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
I totally agree with your opinion.
I also believe competition between Intel and AMD ultimately benefits all PC consumers. Both companies have made mistakes in the past. Both will likely release some products in the future that are flawed, as well as some that are pretty good.
It's difficult to see how anyone can really benefit when a forum degenerates into a slanging match, as people who hold opinions very strongly are seldom prepared to change their mind. Also sometimes facts can become mistaken for opinions, and vice versa.

Occasionally I am drawn into the position of trying to defend my choice of hardware.

What I should realise is that it is just 'my choice', no more nor less. If someone chooses differently, fine, that's their perogative and it shouldn't be necessary to rubbish the other person's choice in order to reinforce the validity of their own choice.

But alas I guess it's a trap that we can fall in to .
I for one will try not to do so in future.

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Well said man. I couldn't agree more! :smile:

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless