Best ever early find?

So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
the first two levels of the dungeon?

Today, I have found a +5 cloak of magic resistance in the Dlvl 2 shop.
Clearly, the RNG likes me.

--

JPD

SGFN

In article <422ab3ea.39734472@news.bigpond.com>,
john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au (JPD) wrote:

> So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
> the first two levels of the dungeon?
>
> Today, I have found a +5 cloak of magic resistance in the Dlvl 2 shop.
> Clearly, the RNG likes me.

It's just teasing you know. It's setting you up for death by falling
rock on level 4.

--
There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.

JPD wrote:
> So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
> the first two levels of the dungeon?

Believe it or not, I found a wand of wishing on the first level one
time. And I was also lucky enough to be in a mood to zap it once to find
out what it was.

Jack

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

JPD wrote:
> So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop
> or otherwise, in the first two levels of the dungeon?

Just today, I've found an Amulet of Life Saving lying
around on DL1. I have identified it in such a way that
now I can't use it anymore, you know what I mean...

Some time ago, I found a Wand of Wishing in the starting
room. It would have been great if I had know a bit
about wishing by then (it was like my third game or so).

--
Manuel.

JPD <john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
> the first two levels of the dungeon?

Wand of wishing on the second level, just lying around.

-Heikki

Gregory Weston <uce@splook.com> was moved to say:

>> Clearly, the RNG likes me.
>
>It's just teasing you know. It's setting you up for death by falling
>rock on level 4.

So far, so good. My punishment for gaining all this good armour
(speed boots as well, in the same shop, believe it or not) was to miss
the stairs for the mines. Got down to the Oracle on Dlvl 7 before
deciding it would be a good idea to go back up and find the mines. So
I start the mines already at clvl 7 and now, arriving at minetown, all
I see is wall-to-wall monkeys. Think I'll save at this point and
resume when I am awake.

--

JPD

SGFN

JPD wrote:
> So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
> the first two levels of the dungeon?

Would finding an artifact weapon on level 1 count as "best thing found" if
touching it killed you immediately?

> Today, I have found a +5 cloak of magic resistance in the Dlvl 2 shop.
> Clearly, the RNG likes me.

But back to your question, I think the mythical "wand of wishing on level 1"
(which I never found myself) would beat all, since you can wish for (nearly)
everything.

Janis

Heikki Moilanen <heikkimo@paju.oulu.sbam.fi> writes:

> JPD <john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
>> the first two levels of the dungeon?
>
> Wand of wishing on the second level, just lying around.

*Two* wands of wishing in the same shop on the second or the third
level.

(Mind you, it was also the last time that I've died after finding an
early wand of wishing. Curse you, Master Kaen!)

john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au (JPD) insists:

>So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
>the first two levels of the dungeon?

Frost Brand, on a tile adjacent to the entry stairs.

[not much good to a wizard...]

--
BELANGER

"Janis Papanagnou" <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> JPD wrote:
> > So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
> > the first two levels of the dungeon?
>
> Would finding an artifact weapon on level 1 count as "best thing found" if
> touching it killed you immediately?

the worst kind of teasing the RNG does:
Just two days ago my tourist found Sunsword on level 2 and died from
full hps trying to pick it up. (Still EXPL1, but of course I didn't
know it was the Sunsword before I tried to pick it up)

Asher

Two wands of wishing, both before dvl 10. That game turned into my
first ascension, even though it was the first time I'd ever seriously
played a wizard or even a spell-caster type.

David Justiss wrote:
> "Janis Papanagnou" <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>JPD wrote:
>>
>>>So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
>>>the first two levels of the dungeon?
>>
>>Would finding an artifact weapon on level 1 count as "best thing found" if
>>touching it killed you immediately?
>
> the worst kind of teasing the RNG does:
> Just two days ago my tourist found Sunsword on level 2 and died from
> full hps trying to pick it up. (Still EXPL1, but of course I didn't
> know it was the Sunsword before I tried to pick it up)

Sad to hear. Though there's no need to pick it up to know what it is; just
look at it with the ':' command, and always keep auto-pickup off for weapons.

Janis

BELANGER wrote:
> Frost Brand, on a tile adjacent to the entry stairs.
>
> [not much good to a wizard...]

Why? It's one of the best weapons and it's easy to unrestrict it for
all classes. My first wizard ascended two-weaponing it.

<rant>
The other wizard was pretty slimey, and thus weaponless -- but somehow,
every single of my non-wizard ascensions involved using MB nearly all
the time, much more than just for the ascension run, with a perm-polyed
rogue xorn who cluthed MB as his only source of magic resistance being
the extreme case.

I just need to learn how to accept curses like a man some day...
</rant>

1KB

john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au (JPD) writes:

> So what's the best thing you've ever found, in a shop or otherwise, in
> the first two levels of the dungeon?

/oW, GoP, BoS. In that order. Though by now, I'm not
sure whether it's really is a 'good' thing to find these
on lvl 1-2.

Best,
Jakob

Jack Bolsen <jbolsen@verizon.net> writes:

> Believe it or not, I found a wand of wishing on the first level one
> time. And I was also lucky enough to be in a mood to zap it once to
> find out what it was.

Engraving works as well.

Best,
Jakob