Trouble for Rambus?

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
You decide.

<A HREF="http://www.ebns.com/story/OEG20010430S0117" target="_new">http://www.ebns.com/story/OEG20010430S0117</A>

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Rambus is definitely hurting. That makes me happy, Thx for the good news!

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

G

"Rambus is definitely hurting. That makes me happy, Thx for the good news!"

How is RAMBUS hurting? The judge hasnt even made a ruling. And this has nothing to do with RDRAM, but with patent infringments using SDRAM. jeez.. get your facts straight before you make claims like that.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you even read the article?

“Payne late Monday dismissed all but three of the patent infringement claims filed against Infineon Technologies “

Dose that sound like good new for Rambus? Not to me.

There are several other statements that don’t bode well for Rambus also. The writing is on the wall and has been for some time, Rambus will lose.

“And this has nothing to do with RDRAM, but with patent infringments using SDRAM”

What the F did you think I was talking about. Where did I say anything about RDRAM? I just don’t want to see Rambus charging royalties for SDRAM. Why? Because it would mean higher prices (that means you too). Besides the fact Rambus just seems like a very shady company secretly patenting what is supposed to be an open standard memory technology! Then waiting until just the right time to sue for maximum profit.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

G

It can hurt RAMBUSt because thats how they make money - selling licenses for technology they supposedly created/patented - they don't make memory. If the sdram patents are thrown out there goes a source of income for them - watch the stock nose dive.....

I want to know if the patents are thrown out, do all those companies currently goaded into payouts, for sdram, to RAMBUSt get their "license" fees back?

"<font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue>, <font color=red>You can't spend more but you can buy better</font color=red>...."

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Did you get you signature from Armageddon?

...Russian Components, American Components, All made in Taiwan.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Actually yeah I did :)

Armageddon was on TV yesterday and for some reason that line stuck in my head.. heheh

G

Armageddon...
A leading contender for worst movie ever.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
God damn you are stupider than I thought.

Did he say anything about RDRAM? Um... no. Did he even mention any "facts"? Um... no. Get your brain straight before making posts like that.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My god sir you are a complete a$$hole. Not once did Lowlypawn mention RDRAM and you jump out to attack him. What is wrong with you?? Have you completely forgotten about common courtesy? BTW - read the article before you post, the judge threw out nearly all of the patent infringments against Infinion. That is what the article was about if you still havent figured that out.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AeroSnoop on 05/01/01 05:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

"Have you completely forgotten about common courtesy?"

I know a hypocrite when I see one. You should quit judging/worrying about me and follow your own advice.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I wouldn't call your statement to everett all that courteous, would you? So far, I would have to say your post was the least courteous of this thread.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I was just pointing out everett's reasons for the 'hypocrite' assertion. That is all.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Everyone has their reasons for what they say to everyone else. How about we all decide not to allow _any_ reason to be sufficient to start flaming. This would be my preference.

-Raystonn

G

Aerosnoop your post to me was very rude. I believe you owe me an apology for using such distasteful language.

And as a person who lives by his own words I would like to apologize to Lowlypawn. I jumped on you regarding your post. My action was uncalled for and disrepectful.. not only did i disrespect you I disrepected myself also. I truly aplogize for what I said.. and I do mean it.

and Raystonn, thanks for your support.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
While I am happy you have had a change of heart, I do not feel I owe you an apology for my comment to you. Your attack was un-called for and I responded appropriately. You can make me out to be the bad guy if you want but I do not believe my comment was without merrit.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Your general post had some merit. Your vulgarity did not.

-Raystonn

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow , Thx all for the support!

Everett6, apology accepted.

Thx & Cya

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
oh come on.. it wasn't that bad.. for the most part it was mind-numbing entertainment :)

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
You know as much as we (or most of us) would like to believe that this would be the end of Rambus, that simply will not happen. Mainly because they have been nicely integrated into areas where low pin count and granularity are prized (e.g. PS2). However, what this <b>might</b> mean to us is their exit from the PC arena, of which I for one wouldn't shed any tears for their departure.

My $0.02

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Remember Rambus is the company (intelectual).
Rdram is the product.

Rambus the company does not make Rdram the product. They only own the patents on it and all of its income is derived from selling licenses to make the product. They have also tried to blackmail and bully other memory makers into paying them licensing fees for SDRAM and DDR ram technologies that they claim to hold the patent on. This is the area of contention for most all of the "Rambus" haters.
It is neccesary to seperate ( as hard as it may be) the product from the company. As to argue for Rdram having merit is one thing, argueing for Rambus is quite another. The original post was against Rambus and not Rdram in specific. This is where you made your mistake. For instance, Cuba may make great cigars, but because of this Cuba is not a great country ( please this is only used as an example so no arguments on this one).

Interestingly enough, at the moment, Infineon is wearing the hero's crown, fighting the good fight for the people. This is how haters of Rambus like to see them. Remember this. It may or may not come full cycle. Infineon themselves are in the process of developeing and patenting a two new memory technologies ( magnetic in nature) that may become the memory of the future. I for one will be curious to see if they will go a simular route as Rambus or choose to take it to Jedec and make it an open standard technology. Could be interesting. Maybe not only are they fighting against Rambus and there patents, but in the process learning how to execute there own for the future. Yes, this is all merely speculation, but it does raise some possiblilitys doesn't it?

Rambus, if they lose this case ( which I beleive they will) is down but not out. There stock prices will certainly fall if they do. The fatal blow could come if DDR chipsets are developed ( nvidia perhaps) that are comparable in bandwith/performance to Rdram. If this happens then Rambus is in big trouble. Which in and of itself may be a good thing, maybe they can be bought out by another company and there tech put to much better use. But then I may only be dreaming.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!