"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

On 2005-03-08, Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote:
> Had this occur in a game last night. Had a S get a couple of early
> wishes, and after getting GDSM and speed boots, thought about wishing
> for an artifact weapon. I couldn't decided between Grayswandir and
> Frost Brand, ended up flipping a coin.
>
> In that situation, what weapon would you wish for?

Greyswandir is doulbe damage to all monsters-- if lawful, I consider
it my weapon of choice (unless restricted in saber- which Samurais arent)

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:59:37 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew D. Hilton"
<adhilton@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

>On 2005-03-08, Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote:
>> Had this occur in a game last night. Had a S get a couple of early
>> wishes, and after getting GDSM and speed boots, thought about wishing
>> for an artifact weapon. I couldn't decided between Grayswandir and
>> Frost Brand, ended up flipping a coin.
>>
>> In that situation, what weapon would you wish for?
>
>Greyswandir is doulbe damage to all monsters-- if lawful, I consider
>it my weapon of choice (unless restricted in saber- which Samurais arent)

Plus silver damage, which is nothing to sneeze at in Gehennom.

--
Keiran

begin quoting Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com>:
>Had this occur in a game last night. Had a S get a couple of early
>wishes, and after getting GDSM and speed boots, thought about wishing
>for an artifact weapon. I couldn't decided between Grayswandir and
>Frost Brand, ended up flipping a coin.

Not an artifact weapon at all - good ones always come along, and you don't
need a great one - but if I were compelled to, Grayswandir is the best.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Tuesday, March.

On 08 Mar 2005 15:23:47 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
<damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> drained his beer, leaned back in the
rec.games.roguelike.nethack beanbag and drunkenly proclaimed the
following

>begin quoting Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com>:
>>Had this occur in a game last night. Had a S get a couple of early
>>wishes, and after getting GDSM and speed boots, thought about wishing
>>for an artifact weapon. I couldn't decided between Grayswandir and
>>Frost Brand, ended up flipping a coin.
>
>Not an artifact weapon at all - good ones always come along, and you don't
>need a great one - but if I were compelled to, Grayswandir is the best.

I had already found most of the goodies I wanted.. speed boots, GoP,
amulet of reflection, et al.. so I wanted something with attack value.

I YASD'd of course.
--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

On 2005-03-08, Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote:

> I had already found most of the goodies I wanted.. speed boots, GoP,
> amulet of reflection, et al.. so I wanted something with attack value.

Another good offense, but somewhat risky is blessed figurine of an
Archon (vanilla, or Solar in )-- they make excellent pets-- good offense
etc, without the "eating all the corpses" downsides of most pets..
Ofc, you run the risk of them blinding some monster, and it not seeing
the E-word, but usu most things dont last long enough against such a pet
to matter.. And you have to keep them away from priests, unless you want
them killed for altar conversion..
--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

begin quoting Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com>:
><damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> drained his beer, leaned back in the
>>begin quoting Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com>:
>>>Had this occur in a game last night. Had a S get a couple of early
>>>wishes, and after getting GDSM and speed boots, thought about wishing
>>>for an artifact weapon. I couldn't decided between Grayswandir and
>>>Frost Brand, ended up flipping a coin.
>>Not an artifact weapon at all - good ones always come along, and you don't
>>need a great one - but if I were compelled to, Grayswandir is the best.
>I had already found most of the goodies I wanted.. speed boots, GoP,
>amulet of reflection, et al.. so I wanted something with attack value.

Save the wish, I would. A Samurai with tooled-up AC can survive at that
stage without an artifact weapon. Or was it from a throne or similar? Even
then I'd be tempted to store up magic markers or similar for later.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Tuesday, March.

On 08 Mar 2005 18:26:21 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
<damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> drained his beer, leaned back in the
rec.games.roguelike.nethack beanbag and drunkenly proclaimed the
following
>begin quoting Douglas Berry <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com>:
>><damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> drained his beer, leaned back in the
>>>Not an artifact weapon at all - good ones always come along, and you don't
>>>need a great one - but if I were compelled to, Grayswandir is the best.
>>I had already found most of the goodies I wanted.. speed boots, GoP,
>>amulet of reflection, et al.. so I wanted something with attack value.
>
>Save the wish, I would. A Samurai with tooled-up AC can survive at that
>stage without an artifact weapon. Or was it from a throne or similar? Even
>then I'd be tempted to store up magic markers or similar for later.

It was from a friendly Water Demon, and my sword at that point was
badly rusted.