Yani: Baaa- BOOM!

Browsing through the wikipedia today I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_sheep

I believe Nethack should take part in this illustrious tradition.
Slashem already has sheep, but as far as I know they do not explode. I
think they should. Either all sheep should be 'sploders, or some of
them should be "normal" while others are clearly labelled as a
distinct "exploding sheep" monster type.
Personally I'd prefer the former, so that the explosion comes as a
surprise. This might seem a little unfair to the unspoiled, but the
unspoiled should be accustomed to dying suddenly and unexpectedly. We
could always throw in a few fortunes or something for them, I suppose.

-(Exploding) sheep are always generated peaceful, so they wander about
randomly rather than homing in on the player.
-They aren't particularly dangerous when angered, neither are they
difficult to kill (5-10 HP).
-They are also generated in flocks of 3-10 animals, leading to some
lovely chain reactions. It would be great if some kind of "flocking"
code could be used to keep them all together as they ramble about the
dungeon.
-Applying a stethoscope to a sheep gives the message "You hear a
rhythmic ticking noise."
-Every turn, each sheep rolls for a 1/5000 chance of a gas-spore like
explosion, whether the player is nearby or not. This also applies to
players polymorphed into sheep.
-Sheep are scared easily, and non-tame sheep will become scared if they
are attacked (conflict should be interesting), or if they happen to see
any monster larger than themselves, or any canine monster, or any other
sheep that happens to be scared.
-The chance of detonation is increased to 1/100 for sheep that are
scared or confused. This also applies to players polymorphed into
sheep.
-Hallucinating sheep implode rather than explode. There isn't much
difference apart from the message really, although it is slightly less
messy.
-A sheep killed by an explosion or by force bolt/ striking/ lightning
will always explode. Sheep killed by other means will only explode 50%
of the time.
-Pets (particularly canines) will attack them with glee, more concerned
with donner kebabs than detonation.
-A non-exploded dead sheep leaves a tasty and nutritious corpse.
-an exploded sheep results not in a corpse, but in a handful of
meatballs and/or "meaty sheep-bits" scattered about the room.
-There's be a 1/50 chance of a "woollen cloak" being generated upon any
sheep death. Woollen cloaks give no AC protection unless enchanted, but
if it's not too unbalancing they could offer cold resistance.

What do we think then? Sound like fun? Damn I wish i could code...

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> What do we think then? Sound like fun? Damn I wish i could code...

It's the sort of thing that *should* be easy, but probably isn't.

Nethack's codebase, being written in an utterly unsuited language by people
who don't appear to know why it is unsuited[1], is hard to change
significantly.

That said, I'll give it a shot - watch this spot for a day or two. Any
longer, and I've dropped it.

[1]: No offense to the devteam; I'm referring to Hack, Nethack 0.0.1, and
such things. C *can* be used with higher-order functions, OO, etc. etc.,
but it's sufficiently painful that few people would invent the concepts
spontaneously, and they wouldn't get taught in a book on C either.

The current devteam may be more wordly. Whatever the case, /rewriting/
Nethack - either in a better language, or as more dynamic C, would be a
Herculean task. Anyone got a river handy?

Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>> [exploding sheep]
> That said, I'll give it a shot - watch this spot for a day or two.
Any
> longer, and I've dropped it.

Yippee! Someone's going to code my YANI!

/me does a happy little dance.

Wow, thanks. You know I'm now going to pester you forever with every
other YANI I come up with, don't you? =-) =-)

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Svein Ove Aas wrote:
>>dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>>>[exploding sheep]
>>That said, I'll give it a shot - watch this spot for a day or two.
>>Any longer, and I've dropped it.
> Yippee! Someone's going to code my YANI!
>
> /me does a happy little dance.
>
> Wow, thanks. You know I'm now going to pester you forever with every
> other YANI I come up with, don't you? =-) =-)

I hope that you're aware of the fact that every YANI, no matter how
silly, if a patch exists, it _will_ end up in Slashem? I'll have now
tread carefully when walking next to sheep -- or, make sure I stick to
Vanilla.

Hmm... or actually, it may be a good idea to post some _really_ evil
YANIs...

1KB

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Sheep killed by other means will only explode 50% of the time.

I like the idea generally, but I think 50% is FAR too often. This
would result in unavoidable pet-death regularly. I think 5% would be
more appropriate.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

micromoog wrote:

> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

>> Sheep killed by other means will only explode 50%
>> of the time.

> I like the idea generally, but I think 50% is FAR
> too often. This would result in unavoidable
> pet-death regularly. I think 5% would be more
> appropriate.

Perhaps it would work a bit better if sheep were
like nuclear weapons, and a critical mass, maybe
five around a central sheep, had to gather before
the sheep in the middle exploded?

Conceptualize it as "radioactive gut methane" if you
like.

The sheep on the periphery of such a gathering could
then die normal deaths with the usual chance of
leaving corpses, or just be wounded and slowly heal,
and only a really healthy sheep would be able to
explode.

Flocks as an explosion pre-condition would tend to
keep pets out of harms' way a bit more.

On the other hand, sheep whose "flocking gene" was
defective would probably survive longer, and thus
grow unrestrainedly, until they became the
Uber-dangerous "Lone Sheep", seemingly an innocuous
vegetarian, browsing stupidly on molds, lichens, and
such, but liable on no notice when adjacent to the
PC to blind the PC with its "wool over the eyes"
attack, or put the PC into a deep sleep with its
"fence jumping" attack, where for NetHack usage, a
"fence" is a nearby boulder.

The "Lone Sheep", when killed, has of course a
chance to drop a tub of "lanolin", a higher grade,
more durable form of grease.

Applied to ".", it should give a temporary charisma
improvement, like style gel.

Applied to helmets, it would protect for more turns
against MMF attacks.

Applied to armor, it would protect for longer
against rust or rot attacks.

Being flamable, however, if applied to wooden items,
or cloth items, lanolin should _increase_ their
vulnerability to fire-based attacks and to lightning
and other energy attacks.

A "Lone Sheep" might also rarely drop a Cloak of
Wool, a sovereign protection against Cold based
attacks, and also conferring MC 2.

It's a little crazy around here just now, listening
to the neighbor try noisily to cut down a half acre
of hip high weeds with an electric weed whacker,
while light aircraft pass close overhead from the
nearby airport.

xanthian.

Eat what?
l - a pile of fresh-nuked lambchops.
-- more --

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> [Sheepy sheepy blam blam]
> -There's be a 1/50 chance of a "woollen cloak" being generated upon
any
> sheep death.

And of course, if a wolf happens to come across one of these it will
pick it up and wear it, becoming indistinguishable from a sheep at
anything less than a thorough examination (stethoscope, probing etc).
One in every fifty sheep generated should be a "wolf in sheep's
clothing" as well- just hanging out with the flock, waiting for an
unwary adventurer to pass too close...

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

>>>Sheep killed by other means will only explode 50%
>>>of the time.
>
> On the other hand, sheep whose "flocking gene" was
> defective would probably survive longer, and thus
> grow unrestrainedly, until they became the
> Uber-dangerous "Lone Sheep", seemingly an innocuous
> vegetarian, browsing stupidly on molds, lichens, and
> such, but liable on no notice when adjacent to the
> PC to blind the PC with its "wool over the eyes"
> attack, or put the PC into a deep sleep with its
> "fence jumping" attack, where for NetHack usage, a
> "fence" is a nearby boulder.

....or simply the PC, who, with the aid of his dog, has no doubt made a
small fortune selling stolen goods back to their previous owners.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Browsing through the wikipedia today I came across this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_sheep
>
> I believe Nethack should take part in this illustrious tradition.
> Slashem already has sheep, but as far as I know they do not explode. I
> think they should. Either all sheep should be 'sploders, or some of
> them should be "normal" while others are clearly labelled as a
> distinct "exploding sheep" monster type.

I'd prefer an Easter egg approach in homage to Warcraft: Hit any
individual sheep 20 or more times within 30 turns, and it will explode.

> -Applying a stethoscope to a sheep gives the message "You hear a
> rhythmic ticking noise."

:)

I like the flocking idea too, but that would be completely difficult.
As I understand it, the code's just not designed for flocking behavior.
(I may be completely wrong here --- take with the proverbial pound of
salt.)

-Arthur

Sean wrote:
> Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

>> where for NetHack usage, a "fence" is a nearby
>> boulder.

> ...or simply the PC, who, with the aid of his dog,
> has no doubt made a small fortune selling stolen
> goods back to their previous owners.

Hey, now there would be a novel, save compatibility
breaking, way to discourage credit cloning.

Add to the user's hidden stats a "fencing count";
the higher it gets, the more the danger of being
used by a Lone Sheep as a "jumping over" escape
route, Little Boy Blue-ing fast asleep, and being Bo
Peeped to death by an angry shepherdess with a
Polearm-de-Crook(bashing).

Heh.

xanthian.