Pet killed...

Hi,

I was just playing on NAO when my cat pet got killed:

Snertkat V misses the elf mummy.
The elf mummy swings wildly and misses!
Snertkat V bites the elf mummy. The elf mummy hits Snertkat V.
Snertkat V is killed!
You destroy the elf mummy!
You see here a mummy wrapping.
S - a mummy wrapping.
--More--

I always thought that pets wouldn't attack a creature if the retaliation
would potentially kill them. I know this goes wrong when the monster is
carrying a weapon or has more than one attack, but in this case, the elf
mummy hit only once, and wasn't carrying a weapon.

Why did Snertkat V attack that mummy when the mummy's attack could kill
him?

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> I always thought that pets wouldn't attack a creature if the
retaliation
> would potentially kill them.

I always thought this referred exclusively to reflexive attacks, ie a
brown mold's cold attack, an acid blob's acid splash, a gas spore's
explosion. Maybe I misinterpretted it.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> I always thought that pets wouldn't attack a creature if the
>> retaliation would potentially kill them.

> I always thought this referred exclusively to reflexive attacks, ie a
> brown mold's cold attack, an acid blob's acid splash, a gas spore's
> explosion. Maybe I misinterpretted it.

But pets stop attacking when their HP get below a certain threshold. I
always thought this was determined by the amount of retaliation
possible.

On 2005-03-08, Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> But pets stop attacking when their HP get below a certain threshold. I
> always thought this was determined by the amount of retaliation
> possible.

No- here is the test (from dogmove.c):

if ((int)mtmp2->m_lev >= (int)mtmp->m_lev+2 ||
(mtmp2->data == &mons[PM_FLOATING_EYE] && rn2(10) &&
mtmp->mcansee && haseyes(mtmp->data) && mtmp2->mcansee
&& (perceives(mtmp->data) || !mtmp2->minvis)) ||
(mtmp2->data==&mons[PM_GELATINOUS_CUBE] && rn2(10)) ||
(max_passive_dmg(mtmp2, mtmp) >= mtmp->mhp) ||
((mtmp->mhp*4 < mtmp->mhpmax
|| mtmp2->data->msound == MS_GUARDIAN
|| mtmp2->data->msound == MS_LEADER) &&
mtmp2->mpeaceful && !Conflict) ||
(touch_petrifies(mtmp2->data) &&
!resists_ston(mtmp)))

So passive damage is the only check that is done this way-- the pet
wont attack peaceful monsters if its HP is below 25% of its max (unless
conflicted), but this doesnt account for what damage the monster might do.

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> >> I always thought that pets wouldn't attack a creature if the
> >> retaliation would potentially kill them.
>
> > I always thought this referred exclusively to reflexive attacks, ie a
> > brown mold's cold attack, an acid blob's acid splash, a gas spore's
> > explosion. Maybe I misinterpretted it.

No, this is right. The miscalculation comes in if the _pet_ has
multiple attacks, causing multiple doses of passive damage.

> But pets stop attacking when their HP get below a certain threshold. I
> always thought this was determined by the amount of retaliation
> possible.

Nope. This threshold is a straight 1/4 of their max HP.

: "You boil it in sawdust: you salt it in glue: / You condense it with :
: locusts and tape: / Still keeping one principal object in view -- / :
: To preserve its symmetrical shape." [ Lewis Carroll, "THotS" ] :

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

>> But pets stop attacking when their HP get below a certain threshold.
>> I always thought this was determined by the amount of retaliation
>> possible.

> Nope. This threshold is a straight 1/4 of their max HP.

Thanks for the clarification!

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).