Dipping items on floor

I found a cursed bag of holding on Orcus level from my previous
character - ok I'm not 100% sure it's cursed but the likelihood is high
given I can't lift it even with most of my items dropped. How could I
dip it into holy water without having the bag in my inventory? Any other
method of uncursing would be welcome as well. I'd prefer not to loot the
bag yet for obvious reasons.

Ari Nieminen wrote:

> I found a cursed bag of holding on Orcus level from my previous
> character - ok I'm not 100% sure it's cursed but the likelihood is high
> given I can't lift it even with most of my items dropped. How could I
> dip it into holy water without having the bag in my inventory? Any other
> method of uncursing would be welcome as well. I'd prefer not to loot the
> bag yet for obvious reasons.

Hinty answer:

Dipping changes the "state" of an object to that of what it is dipped
in. Is there a way to remove a "state" from an object?

Spoily answer:
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Zap with wand of cancellation. No, the bag won't blow up, and yes, it
will still be a bag of holding.

Thompson

Ari Nieminen <artani.rem.ove@utu.rem.ove.fi> wrote:
> Any other
> method of uncursing would be welcome as well.

Zap it with a wand of cancellation. Be sure to take everything else out of
the way. IIRC, it doesn't destroy the bag or anything like that, just
dispels the curse on it, so it becames uncursed. You might want to check
spoilers before doing this, of course :)

-Heikki

Ari Nieminen wrote:
> I found a cursed bag of holding on Orcus level from my previous
> character - ok I'm not 100% sure it's cursed but the likelihood is high
> given I can't lift it even with most of my items dropped. How could I
> dip it into holy water without having the bag in my inventory? Any other
> method of uncursing would be welcome as well. I'd prefer not to loot the
> bag yet for obvious reasons.
Throw a potion of Holy water at it ?

Or levitate over the bag and drop one on it. The potion will break and
"ought" to wet the bag,uncursing it. Drop another to bless it and reduce
it's weight to the minimum...but I bet that Nethack "logic" will apply
and the bag won't get wet at all !

You could also zap it with a wand of cancellation, in which case it
might become an ordinary bag, uncursed and lootable.

Heikki Moilanen wrote:

> Zap it with a wand of cancellation. Be sure to take everything else out of
> the way. IIRC, it doesn't destroy the bag or anything like that, just
> dispels the curse on it, so it becames uncursed. You might want to check
> spoilers before doing this, of course :)

Of course, why didn't I think of that. Unfortunately it doesn't help me
this time: I'm about to whoop Rodney for the first time and have found 0
wands of cancellation, 1 wand of polymorph (now empty) and no wishes
left. I suppose I'll just have to loot it.

Tom Goodman wrote:

> Ari Nieminen wrote:
>> I found a cursed bag of holding on Orcus level from my previous
>> character - ok I'm not 100% sure it's cursed but the likelihood is high
>> given I can't lift it even with most of my items dropped. How could I
>> dip it into holy water without having the bag in my inventory? Any
>> other method of uncursing would be welcome as well. I'd prefer not to
>> loot the bag yet for obvious reasons.

> Throw a potion of Holy water at it ?

Doesn't work.

> Or levitate over the bag and drop one on it. The potion will break and
> "ought" to wet the bag,uncursing it.

Doesn't work. Are you guessing, or spreading misinformation on purpose?

> You could also zap it with a wand of cancellation, in which case it
> might become an ordinary bag, uncursed and lootable.

It doesn't become an *ordinary* bag, it stays a bag of holding; but it
does become uncursed and lootable. Cancellation doesn't affect the
contents of the bag. Just don't put the wand inside the bag after zapping
it!

Raisse, killed by a magical explosion

I think people are being to critical of others comments here.

>Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
>
> > Or levitate over the bag and drop one on it. The potion will break
and
> > "ought" to wet the bag,uncursing it.
>
> Doesn't work. Are you guessing, or spreading misinformation on
purpose?

He does say ""ought" so he has stated it is just a guess.

>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
> You do know that you can use wizard mode before posting, to check
simple
> things like this?

I don't think people should need to use wiz mode to test things before
posting if, as Tom made clear, they are just their thoughts on the
problem.

>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> Only one problem: I believe that will make it just an uncursed
sack...
>Please don't spread misinformation, especially when at least two
others
>have already commented on this.

Again, in a previous comment Chuck says "I believe it will turn it into
an uncursed sack". This is not spreading misinformation this is just
his belief. Whether you choose to believe this too or to test his
assumption is up to you.

Just because someone is not totally spoiled doesn't mean they can't
contribute to the newsgroup if they make it clear, as everyone has,
that their comments are just their own opinions or ideas. There are
plenty of more knowledgable people out there who can correct them if
there wrong. Who knows, someone might come up with an idea no one has
tried yet but covered under TDTTOE.

If we are too negative we will scare new people away from contributing
to the group

Tom Goodman wrote:
> Ari Nieminen wrote:

>> I found a cursed bag of holding on Orcus level from my previous
>> character - ok I'm not 100% sure it's cursed but the likelihood is
>> high given I can't lift it even with most of my items dropped. How
>> could I dip it into holy water without having the bag in my
>> inventory? Any other method of uncursing would be welcome as well.

> Throw a potion of Holy water at it ?

Wrong. Won't work.

> Or levitate over the bag and drop one on it. The potion will break and
> "ought" to wet the bag,uncursing it. Drop another to bless it and
> reduce it's weight to the minimum...but I bet that Nethack "logic"
> will apply and the bag won't get wet at all !

Wrong. Won't work.

> You could also zap it with a wand of cancellation, in which case it
> might become an ordinary bag, uncursed and lootable.

Wrong again. It'll become an uncursed bag of holding, exactly what you
want.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Ari Nieminen <artani.rem.ove@utu.rem.ove.fi> wrote in

chuck wrote:
>> Heikki Moilanen wrote:

>>> Zap it with a wand of cancellation. Be sure to take everything else
>>> out of the way. IIRC, it doesn't destroy the bag or anything like
>>> that, just dispels the curse on it, so it becames uncursed. You
>>> might want to check spoilers before doing this, of course :)

> Only one problem: I believe that will make it just an uncursed sack...

Please don't spread misinformation, especially when at least two others
have already commented on this.

When you're not sure (which I deduce from you using the word "believe"),
start up a game in wizard mode first, and *test* your assumption before
posting.

--

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:

> Tom Goodman wrote:
>
> > Ari Nieminen wrote:
> >> I found a cursed bag of holding on Orcus level from my previous
> >> character - ok I'm not 100% sure it's cursed but the likelihood is high
> >> given I can't lift it even with most of my items dropped. How could I
> >> dip it into holy water without having the bag in my inventory? Any
> >> other method of uncursing would be welcome as well. I'd prefer not to
> >> loot the bag yet for obvious reasons.
>
> > Throw a potion of Holy water at it ?
>
> Doesn't work.
>
> > Or levitate over the bag and drop one on it. The potion will break and
> > "ought" to wet the bag,uncursing it.
>
> Doesn't work.

However, both are nice ideas which would add to the
'realism' of the game. In order to prevent the obvious
stash-blessing abuse, one could allow only the top item
(stack) of the stash to become blessed/uncursed by such
means. Or just a random item (stack).

Best,
Jakob

"Lichen Fodder" <mantill@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think people should need to use wiz mode to test things before
> posting if, as Tom made clear, they are just their thoughts on the
> problem.

However, one should try to label such ideas as untested
quite clearly. Which was, IMHO, not apparent to the
fullest extent in the OP's suggestions.

Best,
Jakob

Lichen Fodder & Jacob:

Thank you.

I was considering replying along similar lines. You saw that I chose my
words carefully.

When "misinformation" is mentioned in the context of a game, one wonders
with the greatest trespect if everybody has their priorities right.

Anyway, I still think that Holy water "ought" to wet a bag when it is
dropped and breaks on the bag. Perhaps the bag is not centered on the
square, and the water drops elsewhere. But that is an untidy
solution-sorry.

Generally it is better merely to ignore unhelpful or critical remarks.
Life is too short to bother with them.

Thanks again to those who explained how to enter wizard mode. Those
offended (unintentionally) by my post may take a look at that help and
test my tentative suggestions for themselves.

Tom.

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:
>

>>Tom Goodman wrote:
>>>Or levitate over the bag and drop one on it. The potion will break and
>>>"ought" to wet the bag,uncursing it.
>>
>>Doesn't work.
>

> However, both are nice ideas which would add to the
> 'realism' of the game. In order to prevent the obvious
> stash-blessing abuse, one could allow only the top item
> (stack) of the stash to become blessed/uncursed by such
> means. Or just a random item (stack).
>
> Best,
> Jakob

Even better would be to say it doesn't work at all on stacks... you
spread the water too thin, and waste one. Serves people right for trying
to bless too many.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in

> chuck wrote:

>> Only one problem: I believe that will make it just an uncursed sack...
>
> Please don't spread misinformation, especially when at least two others
> have already commented on this.

Sorry I saw my mistake too late and apparently cancelling my message didn't
work fast enough :7)

> When you're not sure (which I deduce from you using the word "believe"),
> start up a game in wizard mode first, and *test* your assumption before
> posting.

seraphim

"Lichen Fodder" <mantill@gmail.com> wrote in

> I think people are being to critical of others comments here.
>
>>Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
>>
>>> Or levitate over the bag and drop one on it. The potion will break
>>> and "ought" to wet the bag,uncursing it.
>>
>> Doesn't work. Are you guessing, or spreading misinformation on
>> purpose?
>
> He does say ""ought" so he has stated it is just a guess.

You and I aparently have very different definitions of the word "ought".
To me "ought" means "this is how this should happen", not "This is a
guess on my part and I'm not sure what really happens". We have words for
the latter, they are things like "guess", and if someone is guessing then
they should say that.