Crucial Memory and ???

I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
2400 system I just purchased.
12 answers Last reply
More about crucial memory

    <jim> wrote in message news:8timi0t6h250vqup4op29g9a14l9isrq05@4ax.com...
    > I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    > reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    > 2400 system I just purchased.

    Price? Perhaps. Reputation? Not yet, but not bad so far as I know:

    www.4allmemory.com

    Stew

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:

    >I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    >reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    >2400 system I just purchased.

    Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
    resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
    (formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
    never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
    report it later.

    S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > <jim> wrote in message news:8timi0t6h250vqup4op29g9a14l9isrq05@4ax.com...
    >> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    >> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    >> 2400 system I just purchased.

    > Price? Perhaps. Reputation? Not yet, but not bad so far as I know:
    > www.4allmemory.com

    They're bad. Or at least, they can't fill an exotic order. I purchased
    a 32MB sodimm for an old IBM ThinkPad 701c. They sent a 16MB sodimm
    that worked. But I had bought a 32MB board.

    I RMA'd the 16MB. They were as pleasant as could be, sent me a 32MB
    sodimm. But unfortunately, it was too thick AND the PCB was too big
    to fit in the laptop.

    Just one screwup after another. Took a few weeks to sort it out. I
    felt like I was being sold memory out of a junk bin.

    ***

    Corsair is a popular brand. You can't go wrong with Kingston either.
    www.newegg.com is one of the better resellers for either brand.

    <jim> wrote in message news:sqvmi05mm47tcrqt6vatequgfnqftnt4hc@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    >>reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    >>2400 system I just purchased.
    >

    > Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
    > resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
    > (formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
    > never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
    > report it later.

    You shouldn't have any problems with them whatsoever. I purchased 75% of
    the components for my homebuilt desktop from them (the other 25% from
    www.newegg.com ).

    Stew

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:37:54 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    ><jim> wrote in message news:sqvmi05mm47tcrqt6vatequgfnqftnt4hc@4ax.com...
    >> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    >>>reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    >>>2400 system I just purchased.
    >>

    >> Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
    >> resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
    >> (formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
    >> never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
    >> report it later.
    >

    >You shouldn't have any problems with them whatsoever. I purchased 75% of
    >the components for my homebuilt desktop from them (the other 25% from
    >www.newegg.com ).
    >

    >Stew

    Thanks again Stew. You, Ben and Jason have been a great help today.
    I've got another question which I'll start a new post in a minute.

    Thanks again for all your help.

    jim wrote:

    > I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    > reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    > 2400 system I just purchased.

    What's wrong with Crucial?

    jim wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:
    >

    >>I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    >>reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    >>2400 system I just purchased.
    >
    > Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
    > resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
    > (formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
    > never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
    > report it later.

    Good luck with your memory. I wasn't a googlegear customer, but have
    bought from zipzoomfly a couple of times recently and have been
    completely satisfied with them (FWIW).

    S.Lewis wrote:

    <snip>

    > You shouldn't have any problems with them whatsoever. I purchased 75% of
    > the components for my homebuilt desktop from them (the other 25% from
    > www.newegg.com ).

    Another vendor I like!

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:30:19 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

    >jim wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    >> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    >> 2400 system I just purchased.
    >
    >What's wrong with Crucial?

    Nothing except I was just seeing if a cheaper source was available.
    It was at the time from zipzoomfly.com and they seem to have a good
    reputation as well. To me, reputation is equally important because
    price doesn't mean anything if you don't / can't get the product. You
    know what I mean.

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:51:40 -0500, jim wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:30:19 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    >>> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    >>> 2400 system I just purchased.
    >>
    >>What's wrong with Crucial?
    >
    >Nothing except I was just seeing if a cheaper source was available.
    >It was at the time from zipzoomfly.com and they seem to have a good
    >reputation as well. To me, reputation is equally important because
    >price doesn't mean anything if you don't / can't get the product. You
    >know what I mean.

    The thing to remember about Crucial Technology is that they are a
    division of Micron, and they actually make the chips as opposed to a
    reseller like zipzoomfly. Crucial provides the chips to major
    computer manufacturers like Dell. With a reseller, you are never sure
    whose chips you are getting. As has been said before, you won't find
    a better chip vendor that Crucial.

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:13:18 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

    >On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:51:40 -0500, jim wrote:

    >>>What's wrong with Crucial?
    >>
    >>Nothing except I was just seeing if a cheaper source was available.
    >>It was at the time from zipzoomfly.com and they seem to have a good
    >>reputation as well. To me, reputation is equally important because
    >>price doesn't mean anything if you don't / can't get the product. You
    >>know what I mean.
    >
    >The thing to remember about Crucial Technology is that they are a
    >division of Micron, and they actually make the chips as opposed to a
    >reseller like zipzoomfly. Crucial provides the chips to major
    >computer manufacturers like Dell. With a reseller, you are never sure
    >whose chips you are getting. As has been said before, you won't find
    >a better chip vendor that Crucial.

    I've used Crucial before and I have to agree. I just thought I might
    be able to do better and in this case I did.

    Zipzoomfly came thru just like they were supposed to with no problem.
    I forgot already but I think the ram I got was Kingston with lifetime
    warrantee (not like I'm going to use it for a small price ticket
    item). So from my experience (once with zipzoomfly) and maybe 3 or 4
    times with Crucial, I'd go with either one now.

    I ordered several years ago from crucial for my Dell laptop..order came as
    promised and I never had any problems with the memory.

    CaptainKrunch

    <jim> wrote in message news:j09ri013t4j25nb9cfvm223o7hbnmame6u@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:30:19 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
    >
    > >jim wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
    > >> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
    > >> 2400 system I just purchased.
    > >
    > >What's wrong with Crucial?
    >
    > Nothing except I was just seeing if a cheaper source was available.
    > It was at the time from zipzoomfly.com and they seem to have a good
    > reputation as well. To me, reputation is equally important because
    > price doesn't mean anything if you don't / can't get the product. You
    > know what I mean.

Dell Crucial Memory Computers