Crucial Memory and ???

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 24, 2004 1:08:21 PM

I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
2400 system I just purchased.

More about : crucial memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2004 1:41:52 PM

<jim> wrote in message news:8timi0t6h250vqup4op29g9a14l9isrq05@4ax.com...
> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
> 2400 system I just purchased.

Price? Perhaps. Reputation? Not yet, but not bad so far as I know:

www.4allmemory.com

Stew
August 24, 2004 4:51:53 PM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:

>I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
>reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
>2400 system I just purchased.

Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
(formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
report it later.
Related resources
August 24, 2004 8:08:37 PM

S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

> <jim> wrote in message news:8timi0t6h250vqup4op29g9a14l9isrq05@4ax.com...
>> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
>> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
>> 2400 system I just purchased.

> Price? Perhaps. Reputation? Not yet, but not bad so far as I know:
> www.4allmemory.com

They're bad. Or at least, they can't fill an exotic order. I purchased
a 32MB sodimm for an old IBM ThinkPad 701c. They sent a 16MB sodimm
that worked. But I had bought a 32MB board.

I RMA'd the 16MB. They were as pleasant as could be, sent me a 32MB
sodimm. But unfortunately, it was too thick AND the PCB was too big
to fit in the laptop.

Just one screwup after another. Took a few weeks to sort it out. I
felt like I was being sold memory out of a junk bin.

***

Corsair is a popular brand. You can't go wrong with Kingston either.
www.newegg.com is one of the better resellers for either brand.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 24, 2004 10:37:54 PM

<jim> wrote in message news:sqvmi05mm47tcrqt6vatequgfnqftnt4hc@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
>>reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
>>2400 system I just purchased.
>

> Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
> resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
> (formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
> never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
> report it later.

You shouldn't have any problems with them whatsoever. I purchased 75% of
the components for my homebuilt desktop from them (the other 25% from
www.newegg.com ).

Stew
August 24, 2004 11:08:12 PM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:37:54 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

><jim> wrote in message news:sqvmi05mm47tcrqt6vatequgfnqftnt4hc@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
>>>reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
>>>2400 system I just purchased.
>>

>> Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
>> resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
>> (formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
>> never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
>> report it later.
>

>You shouldn't have any problems with them whatsoever. I purchased 75% of
>the components for my homebuilt desktop from them (the other 25% from
>www.newegg.com ).
>

>Stew

Thanks again Stew. You, Ben and Jason have been a great help today.
I've got another question which I'll start a new post in a minute.

Thanks again for all your help.
August 26, 2004 12:30:19 AM

jim wrote:

> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
> 2400 system I just purchased.

What's wrong with Crucial?
August 26, 2004 12:31:33 AM

jim wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:08:21 -0500, jim wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
>>reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
>>2400 system I just purchased.
>
> Thanks to the previous posters who replied. After reading including
> resellerratings.com, chose to buy a 512mb from zipzoomfly.com
> (formerly googlegear) due to supposedly good ratings and pricing. I
> never bought from them so if I have anything bad to say <grin>, I will
> report it later.

Good luck with your memory. I wasn't a googlegear customer, but have
bought from zipzoomfly a couple of times recently and have been
completely satisfied with them (FWIW).
August 26, 2004 12:32:15 AM

S.Lewis wrote:

<snip>

> You shouldn't have any problems with them whatsoever. I purchased 75% of
> the components for my homebuilt desktop from them (the other 25% from
> www.newegg.com ).

Another vendor I like!
August 26, 2004 7:51:40 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:30:19 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

>jim wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
>> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
>> 2400 system I just purchased.
>
>What's wrong with Crucial?

Nothing except I was just seeing if a cheaper source was available.
It was at the time from zipzoomfly.com and they seem to have a good
reputation as well. To me, reputation is equally important because
price doesn't mean anything if you don't / can't get the product. You
know what I mean.
August 26, 2004 11:13:18 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:51:40 -0500, jim wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:30:19 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
>
>>jim wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to see if there is any site comparable in price and
>>> reputation as Crucial. I'm thinking of buying 512MB ram for a Dim
>>> 2400 system I just purchased.
>>
>>What's wrong with Crucial?
>
>Nothing except I was just seeing if a cheaper source was available.
>It was at the time from zipzoomfly.com and they seem to have a good
>reputation as well. To me, reputation is equally important because
>price doesn't mean anything if you don't / can't get the product. You
>know what I mean.

The thing to remember about Crucial Technology is that they are a
division of Micron, and they actually make the chips as opposed to a
reseller like zipzoomfly. Crucial provides the chips to major
computer manufacturers like Dell. With a reseller, you are never sure
whose chips you are getting. As has been said before, you won't find
a better chip vendor that Crucial.
August 27, 2004 3:26:53 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:13:18 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:51:40 -0500, jim wrote:

>>>What's wrong with Crucial?
>>
>>Nothing except I was just seeing if a cheaper source was available.
>>It was at the time from zipzoomfly.com and they seem to have a good
>>reputation as well. To me, reputation is equally important because
>>price doesn't mean anything if you don't / can't get the product. You
>>know what I mean.
>
>The thing to remember about Crucial Technology is that they are a
>division of Micron, and they actually make the chips as opposed to a
>reseller like zipzoomfly. Crucial provides the chips to major
>computer manufacturers like Dell. With a reseller, you are never sure
>whose chips you are getting. As has been said before, you won't find
>a better chip vendor that Crucial.

I've used Crucial before and I have to agree. I just thought I might
be able to do better and in this case I did.

Zipzoomfly came thru just like they were supposed to with no problem.
I forgot already but I think the ram I got was Kingston with lifetime
warrantee (not like I'm going to use it for a small price ticket
item). So from my experience (once with zipzoomfly) and maybe 3 or 4
times with Crucial, I'd go with either one now.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 27, 2004 4:42:04 AM

I ordered several years ago from crucial for my Dell laptop..order came as
promised and I never had any problems with the memory.

CaptainKrunch

!