Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Hard-Drives and reinstalling Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 8, 2010 3:05:11 AM

I want to install two new hard-drives in a Raid 1 configuration.

How do I go about deactivating Windows 7 on my current setup and then reinstalling it and re-activating it after I install two new hard-drives in a raid-1 configuration? Or do I even need to de-activate it?

I am just thinking that there must be some hoop I'm going to have to jump to get it on my new hard-drives.
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2010 3:31:49 AM

You don't need to deactivate anything. You likely have a license to legally have the install on 1 PC at a time. Once you format the current install, you can set up your array, then install windows. You'll still only have it installed on 1 PC.
May 8, 2010 5:30:42 AM

Yes, it is a legal Full version of Ultimate. As I understand it I can change this license from one setup to another as long as it is on one PC at a time only.

I did another search and this time found a thread that says what you say. That I don't need to deactivate. The drive that I currently have Windows 7 on I still plan on using in the system, but not with the Operating System on it. So I'll just Format it and then setup my two new drives in a Raid 1 configuration and the current drive will be just another drive in the system for storage.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2010 6:32:02 AM

Yep, once you activate your windows license, it's active. There's really no way/need to deactivate it. You just need to abide by the license agreement, and only have it installed on 1 PC at a time.

OEM software is tied to the original hardware that it's installed on, but since you have a retail version, you can reinstall on whatever hardware you like.
May 15, 2010 6:57:14 PM

after the install will it ask to activate it again or ask that I do anything like that?
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2010 9:14:05 PM

Yes, it should ask you to reactivate it after the install.
May 23, 2010 5:09:04 PM

Ok, so I unhooked the one old drive and put in two new drives in RAID 1. Installed Windows 7 and activated it no problem. I was assuming from what I'd heard in the past about XP that it might be a hassle, and that I'd probably have to phone in. But no issues like that at all. I even installed a new graphics card yesterday and no problems with that either. Did they change things from what I had thought I'd heard about XP and its activation process if you change out hardware?
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2010 4:23:55 AM

XP is different from windows 7. If you've got a valid license, you shouldn't have any problem activating it.
May 31, 2010 4:16:53 AM

Yeah FULL version valid licenses, and no problems. It installed and activated just fine.
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2010 9:23:07 PM

Good deal. Thanks for the update.
!