What's your favorite NH variant?

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2005 12:30:27 AM

What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
do the heavy lifting?

More about : favorite variant

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:30:06 AM

> On 8 Mar 2005 21:30:27 -0800, Kevin Hastie wrote:
> > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own
imagination
> > do the heavy lifting?

Slashem for me.

Ideally it would be slashem with a full squabble patch, photography
patch, and just about every other patch from any NH version that could
possibly be dredged up and crowbarred in, with at least half of the
YANIs posted to this board in the last few years all implemented as
well. Oh, and sword-chucks, definitely sword-chucks.

Pile as much stuff in now and sort out play balance later, that's my
approach.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:59:51 AM

On 8 Mar 2005 21:30:27 -0800, Kevin Hastie wrote:
> What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
> do the heavy lifting?

I prefer building nethack with Jukka Lahtinen's patch sets, but
other than that pretty plain. No tiles.

Brad
March 9, 2005 1:00:37 PM

Kevin Hastie wrote:

> What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
> do the heavy lifting?

My kids play Falcon's Eye. That's way too rich for me; I prefer plain
ASCII. I played with tiles for a while because I had a version that
wouldn't do plain text for some reason, and didn't like it enough to keep
the tiles when I could go back to ASCII (though I did get in one
ascension with the tiles).

Raisse, killed by a grid bug

March 9, 2005 3:16:37 PM

Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> Kevin Hastie wrote:
>
> > What is your favorite NetHack variant?
>
> Vanilla, I'd say - but lately I've been playing slash'em a lot.
> By the way, I think you're confusing "variant" with "windowing
> interface".

My favorite is vanilla without even the having the tiles
downloaded. Straight ASCII. I turn off typepad and use
the touch-typing keys (in spite of a recent post where I
described touch typing incorrectly I still actually do
touch typoing in practice). I use laptops a lot and they
often don't even have a number pad.

I don't even keep particularly current, only downloading
a new version every year or so. Nethack doesn't change
all that quickly so not having touchstones wasn't a big
deal to me until I started getting too much wrong in my
posts.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:25:09 PM

"Kevin Hastie" <Kevin.Hastie@gmail.com> wrote in

> What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
> do the heavy lifting?

Biodiversity patch, I don't play with tiles or things like noegnud or
Falcon's Eye.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:37:50 PM

Kevin Hastie wrote:
> What is your favorite NetHack variant?

Vanilla, I'd say - but lately I've been playing slash'em a lot.

> Do you like the glitz of FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real
> and let your own imagination do the heavy lifting?

I don't use Falconseye because it isn't developed anymore and because it
isn't developed anymore. I don't use other windowing interfaces with 3d
tiles because I like to have the whole map on the screen. I also don't
use tiles because I use the tty-interface (it's the only interface that
can be used with transparent background (I like my wallpaper)) and that
doesn't have tiles.

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

Kevin Hastie wrote:
> What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
> do the heavy lifting?

I for one like tiles or special nethack fonts (for playing on
nethack.alt.org). However, Falcon's Eye *does* look good, and might have
what is needed to hook a newbie spoiled by Half-Life 2. What about a new
mode in Falcon's Eye (or a Falcon's Eye mode in normal nethack) that
*mainly* shows tiles or ascii and has the same key bindings as normal
nethack, but with a small/resizable Falcon's Eye closeup on the side. It
certainly wouldn't hurt.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:29:37 PM

Bradley Reed wrote:
> On 8 Mar 2005 21:30:27 -0800, Kevin Hastie wrote:
> > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own
imagination
> > do the heavy lifting?

AllegroHack was what I liked for graphics (and I contributed some tiles
to it), but its demise has gone unreplaced except for things like that
Dungeon-spelled-backwards thing which I haven't figured out how to use
yet.

I've not played with many patches, but from reading up on them I'd love
to try some combination of color alchemy, biodiversity, grudge, heck2,
some aspects of lethe (pet betrayal changes the game too much I think),
photography, named monsters, pet breath (really a Slash'em patch but
would be nice in the mail game) & pet magic use (I think there's a
patch for this out there...?).

- John H.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:18:37 AM

Kevin Hastie wrote:
> What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
> do the heavy lifting?

I use the regular version with the Absurd Nethack Tileset scaled down to
32*32.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:16:31 AM

Kevin Hastie wrote:

> What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
> do the heavy lifting?

I would LOVE to play 3.4.3 in Falcon's Eye, but alas...

so I prefer vanilla, with a splash of ituraka (Ituraka's 32x32 tileset
is fnu) and a homespun sound set, based on sounds I've found lying
around on my machine.

SMG
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:56:24 AM

BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Kevin Hastie wrote:
> > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
> > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
> > do the heavy lifting?
> >
> I use the regular version with the Absurd Nethack Tileset scaled down to
> 32*32.

I use the console version, but my sister has recently started playing
NetHack, and she prefers tiles; she uses the Absurd set scaled (by me)
to 32x32, as well.

Richard
!