What's your favorite NH variant?

What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
do the heavy lifting?
11 answers Last reply
More about what favorite variant

    > On 8 Mar 2005 21:30:27 -0800, Kevin Hastie wrote:
    > > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own
    imagination
    > > do the heavy lifting?

    Slashem for me.

    Ideally it would be slashem with a full squabble patch, photography
    patch, and just about every other patch from any NH version that could
    possibly be dredged up and crowbarred in, with at least half of the
    YANIs posted to this board in the last few years all implemented as
    well. Oh, and sword-chucks, definitely sword-chucks.

    Pile as much stuff in now and sort out play balance later, that's my
    approach.

    On 8 Mar 2005 21:30:27 -0800, Kevin Hastie wrote:
    > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
    > do the heavy lifting?

    I prefer building nethack with Jukka Lahtinen's patch sets, but
    other than that pretty plain. No tiles.

    Brad

    Kevin Hastie wrote:

    > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
    > do the heavy lifting?

    My kids play Falcon's Eye. That's way too rich for me; I prefer plain
    ASCII. I played with tiles for a while because I had a version that
    wouldn't do plain text for some reason, and didn't like it enough to keep
    the tiles when I could go back to ASCII (though I did get in one
    ascension with the tiles).

    Raisse, killed by a grid bug

    Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
    > Kevin Hastie wrote:
    >
    > > What is your favorite NetHack variant?
    >
    > Vanilla, I'd say - but lately I've been playing slash'em a lot.
    > By the way, I think you're confusing "variant" with "windowing
    > interface".

    My favorite is vanilla without even the having the tiles
    downloaded. Straight ASCII. I turn off typepad and use
    the touch-typing keys (in spite of a recent post where I
    described touch typing incorrectly I still actually do
    touch typoing in practice). I use laptops a lot and they
    often don't even have a number pad.

    I don't even keep particularly current, only downloading
    a new version every year or so. Nethack doesn't change
    all that quickly so not having touchstones wasn't a big
    deal to me until I started getting too much wrong in my
    posts.

    "Kevin Hastie" <Kevin.Hastie@gmail.com> wrote in

    > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
    > do the heavy lifting?

    Biodiversity patch, I don't play with tiles or things like noegnud or
    Falcon's Eye.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kevin Hastie wrote:
    > What is your favorite NetHack variant?

    Vanilla, I'd say - but lately I've been playing slash'em a lot.

    > Do you like the glitz of FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real
    > and let your own imagination do the heavy lifting?

    I don't use Falconseye because it isn't developed anymore and because it
    isn't developed anymore. I don't use other windowing interfaces with 3d
    tiles because I like to have the whole map on the screen. I also don't
    use tiles because I use the tty-interface (it's the only interface that
    can be used with transparent background (I like my wallpaper)) and that
    doesn't have tiles.

    --
    If geiger counter does not click,
    the coffee, she is just not thick

    Kevin Hastie wrote:
    > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
    > do the heavy lifting?

    I for one like tiles or special nethack fonts (for playing on
    nethack.alt.org). However, Falcon's Eye *does* look good, and might have
    what is needed to hook a newbie spoiled by Half-Life 2. What about a new
    mode in Falcon's Eye (or a Falcon's Eye mode in normal nethack) that
    *mainly* shows tiles or ascii and has the same key bindings as normal
    nethack, but with a small/resizable Falcon's Eye closeup on the side. It
    certainly wouldn't hurt.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Bradley Reed wrote:
    > On 8 Mar 2005 21:30:27 -0800, Kevin Hastie wrote:
    > > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own
    imagination
    > > do the heavy lifting?

    AllegroHack was what I liked for graphics (and I contributed some tiles
    to it), but its demise has gone unreplaced except for things like that
    Dungeon-spelled-backwards thing which I haven't figured out how to use
    yet.

    I've not played with many patches, but from reading up on them I'd love
    to try some combination of color alchemy, biodiversity, grudge, heck2,
    some aspects of lethe (pet betrayal changes the game too much I think),
    photography, named monsters, pet breath (really a Slash'em patch but
    would be nice in the mail game) & pet magic use (I think there's a
    patch for this out there...?).

    - John H.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kevin Hastie wrote:
    > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
    > do the heavy lifting?

    I use the regular version with the Absurd Nethack Tileset scaled down to
    32*32.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kevin Hastie wrote:

    > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
    > do the heavy lifting?

    I would LOVE to play 3.4.3 in Falcon's Eye, but alas...

    so I prefer vanilla, with a splash of ituraka (Ituraka's 32x32 tileset
    is fnu) and a homespun sound set, based on sounds I've found lying
    around on my machine.

    SMG
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Kevin Hastie wrote:
    > > What is your favorite NetHack variant? Do you like the glitz of
    > > FalconEye or do you prefer to keep it real and let your own imagination
    > > do the heavy lifting?
    > >
    > I use the regular version with the Absurd Nethack Tileset scaled down to
    > 32*32.

    I use the console version, but my sister has recently started playing
    NetHack, and she prefers tiles; she uses the Absurd set scaled (by me)
    to 32x32, as well.

    Richard

Games Video Games