YANI - Date Effects

Probably not a new idea at all - if I googled for long enough, this is
guaranteed to have been suggested before.

As far as I know, there are consequences to luck and some game
situations when the game is started or reloaded near full moon, near
new moon, or on Friday the 13th.

What if ...

- on April 1st, fortune cookies return *only* false clues and the
Oracle is much more expensive for a major consultation.

- on October 31st, the frequency of undead monsters is greatly
increased

- on December 25th, a human with a red cloak, black boots, red hat and
a sack containing one valuable item, will appear (perhaps down a
chimney, although the existence of such a thing would be YANI itself).

- from December 26th through December 31st, shop prices are 20%
cheaper.

- on January 1st, upon starting or restoring a game the player gets
"You feel like someone is helping you" and one random cursed item
carried in the main inventory is thereby uncursed.

--

JPD

SGFN

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

JPD wrote:
> Probably not a new idea at all - if I googled for long enough, this
is
> guaranteed to have been suggested before.
>
> As far as I know, there are consequences to luck and some game
> situations when the game is started or reloaded near full moon, near
> new moon, or on Friday the 13th.
>
> What if ...

I'm not sure how to calculate the exact day of it, but I always figured
Ascension Sunday should give some kind of luck bonus :)

--
James

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

james@lab6.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how to calculate the exact day of it, but I always
figured
> Ascension Sunday should give some kind of luck bonus :)

....as long as your character is a female human *and* a virgin (i.e.
keep away
from incubi) :)

What brings yet another -new or not- idea: Are priests and priestesses
allowed to meet incubi/succubi? Should they be disallowed to do it (or
penalized for doing it)? Perhaps depending on alignment?

JPD wrote:
> - on October 31st, the frequency of undead monsters is greatly
> increased
>
> - on December 25th, a human with a red cloak, black boots, red hat
> and a sack containing one valuable item, will appear (perhaps down
> a chimney, although the existence of such a thing would be YANI
> itself).
>
> - from December 26th through December 31st, shop prices are 20%
> cheaper.

- on November 7th soldiers should march all through the dungeon,
cheering and chanting Communist slogans.

Come on, don't be so Anglocentric, it stinks. We should also
discuss implementing Ramadan, Yom Kippur, Hannukah, Maslenitsa,
Ligo and Chinese New Year.

Get the point?

--
roy axenov

roy axenov wrote:
> JPD wrote:
> > - on October 31st, the frequency of undead monsters is greatly
> > increased
> >
> > - on December 25th, a human with a red cloak, black boots, red
> > hat and a sack containing one valuable item, will appear
> > (perhaps down a chimney, although the existence of such a
> > thing would be YANI itself).
> >
> > - from December 26th through December 31st, shop prices are 20%
> > cheaper.
>
> - on November 7th soldiers should march all through the dungeon,
> cheering and chanting Communist slogans.

- oh, and on March 8th female characters should *obviously* get
some significant boni. I wonder why'd you forget *that*?

--
roy axenov

Adam Borowski wrote:
> roy axenov wrote:
> > - on November 7th soldiers should march all through the dungeon,
> > cheering and chanting Communist slogans.
>
> With a bunch of their "friends" going behind their backs with wands
> of death, right? Sounds useful.

Oh, right! I knew something was missing.

Some cheerful goblins and kobolds (with KGB doppelgangers mixed in)
are also in order, I think.

--
roy axenov

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> JPD wrote:
> > [Suggested date effects]
> [Reasons not to implement suggested date effects]

I'd like to suggest that date effects- or Christmas effects at the very
least- be added to the "Hardy Perennials" section of the faq.

In article <422e74f4.285797440@news.bigpond.com>, JPD wrote:

> - on December 25th, a human with a red cloak, black boots, red hat and
> a sack containing one valuable item, will appear (perhaps down a
> chimney, although the existence of such a thing would be YANI itself).

Or on 24th like here in Finland. And not through the chimney!

> - on January 1st, upon starting or restoring a game the player gets
> "You feel like someone is helping you" and one random cursed item
> carried in the main inventory is thereby uncursed.

Why? Instead one should promise to keep one (perhaps already
broken) conduct intact from that point on.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

JPD wrote:

> - on April 1st, fortune cookies return *only* false clues and the
> Oracle is much more expensive for a major consultation.

That would be a nice twist, easily implemented, and not very
unbalancing. There could even be a funny message when you start up the
game: "Welcome to NetHack, fool!"...

> - on October 31st, the frequency of undead monsters is greatly
> increased

What's so special about the 31st of October? Is this something American
I don't know about? If so, you don't stand a chance of it being
implemented. The Dev Team doesn't like too many things that are cultural
bound (except for things that are class-bound, but those are usually
tied to the Quests).

> - on December 25th, a human with a red cloak, black boots, red hat and
> a sack containing one valuable item, will appear (perhaps down a
> chimney, although the existence of such a thing would be YANI itself).
> - from December 26th through December 31st, shop prices are 20%
> cheaper.

See my previous comment. Very culture-connected, and proposed several
times before. The Dev Team must have thought of these themselves
already, and rejected the suggestion.

> - on January 1st, upon starting or restoring a game the player gets
> "You feel like someone is helping you" and one random cursed item
> carried in the main inventory is thereby uncursed.

Why? Is there some custom in your part of the world that would somehow
be conntected to this? I don't know of any January 1st customs, except
of declaring some good intentions...

Note also that, in general, the Dev Team seems weary to implement *any*
(more) things that are date related. It's just too easy, on various
platforms, to just change the date to benefit from these date additions.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> In article <422e74f4.285797440@news.bigpond.com>, JPD wrote:

>> - on December 25th, a human with a red cloak, [...]

> Or on 24th like here in Finland. And not through the chimney!

>> - on January 1st, upon starting or restoring a game the player gets
>> "You feel like someone is helping you" and one random cursed item
>> carried in the main inventory is thereby uncursed.

> Why? Instead one should promise to keep one (perhaps already
> broken) conduct intact from that point on.

Cultural difference like the ones above are exactly why additions like
this are very unlikely to be implemented by the Dev Team...

I'm positive they've been considered by them before, and I'm also
*almost* certain that they have, in general, rejected such ideas.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> was moved to say:

>What's so special about the 31st of October? Is this something American
>I don't know about?

>> - on December 25th,

>See my previous comment. Very culture-connected,

>> - on January 1st,

>Why? Is there some custom in your part of the world that would somehow
>be conntected to this? I don't know of any January 1st customs, except
>of declaring some good intentions...

Yes, any variation on that theme, manifested in game play as a "second
chance" with some previously cursed item.

I would think it unlikely that anyone in the world who plays Nethack
would be unaware of the existence of Halloween and Christmas.
Incidentally, I am Australian and Halloween holds no significance for
me beyond the knowledge that Americans get all excited about it;
however, I have not been able to escape exposure to the general themes
associated with that date. And post-Christmas shopping sales must
similarly be widespread around the western world.

>Note also that, in general, the Dev Team seems weary to implement *any*
>(more) things that are date related. It's just too easy, on various
>platforms, to just change the date to benefit from these date additions.

Unlike your objections above, this one is a good point :) (Although I
am *fairly* sure you meant to type "wary", not "weary").

--

JPD

SGFN

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:17:46 +0100,
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> When *is* Thanksgiving, anyway, and is there any country other than
> the USA which celebrates it?

In the USA, Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of November, and the
Friday following Thanksgiving is as close to a national holiday as
possible without actually being a national holiday.

Canada also has a Thanksgiving; theirs is a little earlier (to reflect
the shorter farming season). The date varies, but it's usually in the
first couple of weeks of October.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers
<http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/>

"Manuel" <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote:
>What brings yet another -new or not- idea: Are priests and priestesses
>allowed to meet incubi/succubi? Should they be disallowed to do it (or
>penalized for doing it)? Perhaps depending on alignment?

At least some of the gods your Priest(ess) might end up following have
no injunction against fornication; some would even arguably *expect*
their clergy to indulge from time to time. You can't even come up with
a handy alignment-based rule.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
NP: Judas Priest - "Demonizer"

Manuel wrote:

> What brings yet another -new or not- idea: Are priests and priestesses
> allowed to meet incubi/succubi? Should they be disallowed to do it (or
> penalized for doing it)? Perhaps depending on alignment?

"A priestess and a virgin you might be, but that unicorn won't care."

Raisse, killed by a white unicorn

JPD wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" was moved to say:

>> What's so special about the 31st of October? Is this something
>> American I don't know about?

> I would think it unlikely that anyone in the world who plays Nethack
> would be unaware of the existence of Halloween and Christmas.
> Incidentally, I am Australian and Halloween holds no significance for
> me beyond the knowledge that Americans get all excited about it;

Ah. I *am* aware of Halloween, I just never realised that was celebrated
on October 31st. I always thought that was Thanksgiving; I realise I
have been mistaken...

When *is* Thanksgiving, anyway, and is there any country other than the
USA which celebrates it?

>>> - on January 1st,
>> Is there some custom connected to this?

> Yes, any variation on that theme, manifested in game play as a "second
> chance" with some previously cursed item.

Still don't get it, sorry. Anyway, I think that good intentions
(conducts) are more connected to the first of January than anything
else.

> And post-Christmas shopping sales must
> similarly be widespread around the western world.

They are, indeed. Nowadays even in non-christian countries, I believe.
You can run, but you cannot hide...

> Unlike your objections above, this one is a good point :) (Although I
> am *fairly* sure you meant to type "wary", not "weary").

Apart from your "Unlike", I agree completely! :)

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> When *is* Thanksgiving, anyway, and is there any country other than the
> USA which celebrates it?

Thanksgiving moves around a bit, but in the USA it occurs sometime in
November. We also celebrate it in Canada, but in October.

--
Linden

Manuel wrote:

> What brings yet another -new or not- idea: Are priests and priestesses
> allowed to meet incubi/succubi? Should they be disallowed to do it (or
> penalized for doing it)? Perhaps depending on alignment?

Certainly not a new idea. Rejected in the past for the simple reason
that almost no religion imposes celebacy on its priests or priestesses.
Even catholicism allowed it until about 1200, if I recall correctly.

--

james@lab6.com wrote:

> I'm not sure how to calculate the exact day of it, but I always
> figured Ascension Sunday should give some kind of luck bonus :)

Isn't Ascension a Thursday?

--

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Panu Lahtinen wrote:

> > - on January 1st, upon starting or restoring a game the player gets
> > "You feel like someone is helping you" and one random cursed item
> > carried in the main inventory is thereby uncursed.
>
> Why? Instead one should promise to keep one (perhaps already
> broken) conduct intact from that point on.

By the way, I've been thinking since a few time that conducts, called
"voluntary" challenges, could be made more voluntary.

The rough idea being: At the beginning of the game (or maybe at some point
later, say before you reach the oracle, via the #conduct command), you
choose which conducts you're going to follow. As long as you follow them,
small good things happen (eg following weaponless unrestricted you in
martial arts (maybe it's too powerful)). As soon as you break the conduct,
bad things happen and the good things can never come back (or hardly) (eg
when you hit with a weapon after choosing weaponless, you are restricted
to unskilled in martial art and may only become expert (if class-wisely
allowed) in the weapon you're wielding) (and this can only be reverted if
you follow a strict weaponless conduct for, say 5 000 turns).

A bit like monks and vegetarian conduct: they start with lot of food, plus
gain great intrinsics but have small penalties when eating meat. Choosing
the vegetarian conduct at the beginning of the game could give you 4-5
food ration but penalties (bigger than the one given to monk) every time
you eat meat.

The book of exalted deeds from D&D (D20) as a lot of "vows" with lots of
good effect as long as you follow them which are kind of voluntary
challenges.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Manuel wrote:

> james@lab6.com wrote:
> > I'm not sure how to calculate the exact day of it, but I always
> figured
> > Ascension Sunday should give some kind of luck bonus :)
>
> ...as long as your character is a female human *and* a virgin (i.e.
> keep away
> from incubi) :)
>
> What brings yet another -new or not- idea: Are priests and priestesses
> allowed to meet incubi/succubi? Should they be disallowed to do it (or
> penalized for doing it)? Perhaps depending on alignment?

Slash'em has a "celibacy" conduct.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Martin Read wrote:
> "Manuel" <manuel.matias@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What brings yet another -new or not- idea: Are priests and priestesses
>>allowed to meet incubi/succubi? Should they be disallowed to do it (or
>>penalized for doing it)? Perhaps depending on alignment?
> At least some of the gods your Priest(ess) might end up following have
> no injunction against fornication; some would even arguably *expect*
> their clergy to indulge from time to time.

The "virgins (sic) of Ishtar" being probably the most extreme case.

1KB

roy axenov wrote:

> - on November 7th soldiers should march all through the dungeon,
> cheering and chanting Communist slogans.

To celebrate the Novtober revolution?

--

roy axenov wrote:

> - oh, and on March 8th female characters should *obviously* get
> some significant boni. I wonder why'd you forget *that*?

At least *that* day is internationally recognised...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).