Autopickup on nethack.alt.org

Hi,

I tried to put some AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION lines in my .nethackrc file on
nethack.alt.org. Unfortunately, the game doesn't recognise these as
valid lines.

Still, NAO is using version 3.4.3. Was this option intentionally
compiled out of the game? When I access the options from within the game
("O" command), I cannot find this option either...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> I tried to put some AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION lines in my .nethackrc file on
> nethack.alt.org. Unfortunately, the game doesn't recognise these as
> valid lines.
> Still, NAO is using version 3.4.3. Was this option intentionally
> compiled out of the game?

AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION has to be enabled in a configuration file, where it
is headed by the warning "Enable any of these at your own risk -- there
are almost certainly bugs left here." I suppose the person running NAO
simply wants to minimise the buggy code in the publically accessible
executable.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Kevin Wayne wrote:

> On 3/9/05 6:39 AM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know whether one can use the numberpad in some way when
>> playing on NAO? I have gotten used to using the yuhjklbn-keys by now,
>> but for some reason, I cannot get used to using #loot for looting. I
>> keep using the l key, which moves me right off the chest I'm trying to
>> loot. Same goes for kicking: I keep using k instead of ^D.
>
> I've been using numberpad with a typical "OPTIONS=number_pad" line in
> the config file. (I'm working from memory, but I'm pretty sure that's
> the case.)

That's the one; it worked for me too, with no other fiddling. You can
toggle it in-game too.

> While it does free up the normal letters (like "l" for loot and "k" for
> kick), it does not allow for the meta key to replace extended commands
> (like ^o for #offer). I never could get the meta keys to work.

Perhaps some jiggery-pokery with enabling 8-bit input might help here?
(I've never used the meta key in NetHack).

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover

Philipp Lucas wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> I tried to put some AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION lines in my .nethackrc file
>> on nethack.alt.org. Unfortunately, the game doesn't recognise these
>> as valid lines.

> AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION has to be enabled in a configuration file, where
> it is headed by the warning "Enable any of these at your own risk --
> there are almost certainly bugs left here." I suppose the person
> running NAO simply wants to minimise the buggy code in the publically
> accessible executable.

Well, looking at the bugs list at www.nethack.org, I don't see any bugs
relating to autopickup.

I don't think that recompiling with autopickup on would break save file
compatibility (does it?), so I guess it could be compiled in. I really
miss it...

Does anyone know whether one can use the numberpad in some way when
playing on NAO? I have gotten used to using the yuhjklbn-keys by now,
but for some reason, I cannot get used to using #loot for looting. I
keep using the l key, which moves me right off the chest I'm trying to
loot. Same goes for kicking: I keep using k instead of ^D.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

On 3/9/05 6:39 AM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Does anyone know whether one can use the numberpad in some way when
> playing on NAO? I have gotten used to using the yuhjklbn-keys by now,
> but for some reason, I cannot get used to using #loot for looting. I
> keep using the l key, which moves me right off the chest I'm trying to
> loot. Same goes for kicking: I keep using k instead of ^D.

I've been using numberpad with a typical "OPTIONS=number_pad" line in
the config file. (I'm working from memory, but I'm pretty sure that's
the case.)

While it does free up the normal letters (like "l" for loot and "k" for
kick), it does not allow for the meta key to replace extended commands
(like ^o for #offer). I never could get the meta keys to work.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."

"Kevin Wayne" <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 3/9/05 6:39 AM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know whether one can use the numberpad in some way when
>> playing on NAO? I have gotten used to using the yuhjklbn-keys by now,
>> but for some reason, I cannot get used to using #loot for looting. I
>> keep using the l key, which moves me right off the chest I'm trying to
>> loot. Same goes for kicking: I keep using k instead of ^D.
>
> I've been using numberpad with a typical "OPTIONS=number_pad" line in the
> config file. (I'm working from memory, but I'm pretty sure that's the
> case.)
>
> While it does free up the normal letters (like "l" for loot and "k" for
> kick), it does not allow for the meta key to replace extended commands
> (like ^o for #offer). I never could get the meta keys to work.

TelnetTiles does the meta keys for you. Even if you don't like tiles, it
still does that. I've also read of people getting meta keys to work, but
that might have been under Unixen clients.

Justin Hiltscher

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> Kevin Wayne wrote:

>>> I've been using numberpad with a typical "OPTIONS=number_pad" line in
>>> the config file. (I'm working from memory, but I'm pretty sure that's
>>> the case.)
>
>> That's the one; it worked for me too, with no other fiddling. You can
>> toggle it in-game too.
>
> But number_pad must be set to 0, 1 or 2, not to true or not...

Apparently if you include OPTIONS=number_pad in your config file (as I have
in mine), it sets it to 1. This works for me, telnetting in from a linux
machine. A brief test on my home machine seems to indicate that if you
need to set it to 2 (DOS compatible), OPTIONS=number_pad:2 should set the
option correctly.

Here's a link to my NAO rc file, which works for me:

http://alt.org/nethack/rcfiles/bclewis.nethackrc

--

Kevin Wayne wrote:

> While [the number_pad option] does free up the normal letters (like "l"
> for loot and "k" for kick), it does not allow for the meta key to replace
> extended commands (like ^o for #offer). I never could get the meta keys
> to work.

I just got the meta key to work in an xterm both locally and on
nethack.alt.org by adding the line

xterm*eightBitInput true

to my .Xresources file. (No change was needed in my nethack options file).

--

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> But number_pad must be set to 0, 1 or 2, not to true or not...

> Apparently if you include OPTIONS=number_pad in your config file (as
> I have in mine), it sets it to 1. This works for me, telnetting in
> from a linux machine. A brief test on my home machine seems to
> indicate that if you need to set it to 2 (DOS compatible),
> OPTIONS=number_pad:2 should set the option correctly.

I am playing on a windows 2000 professional system, using PuTTY, and
neither 1 nor 2 works as my number_pad setting.

Do I need to set someting in the PuTTY options? Do I need to switch to
SSH? Should I use the ordinary telnet.exe program? Anyone?

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>>> But number_pad must be set to 0, 1 or 2, not to true or not...
>
>> Apparently if you include OPTIONS=number_pad in your config file (as
>> I have in mine), it sets it to 1. This works for me, telnetting in
>> from a linux machine. A brief test on my home machine seems to
>> indicate that if you need to set it to 2 (DOS compatible),
>> OPTIONS=number_pad:2 should set the option correctly.
>
> I am playing on a windows 2000 professional system, using PuTTY, and
> neither 1 nor 2 works as my number_pad setting.

I don't know if this even would apply, but are you using a USB (short for
use as much of System Bus as possible) keyboard?

Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:55:46 +0100:

[numpad]

> Do I need to set someting in the PuTTY options? Do I need to switch to
> SSH? Should I use the ordinary telnet.exe program? Anyone?

I use putty on NAO and the numpad works fine. Haven't gotten the meta
key to work, though. Here are my putty settings:

http://rast2.com/nethack/puttykeyboard.jpg

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>>> But number_pad must be set to 0, 1 or 2, not to true or not...

>> Apparently if you include OPTIONS=number_pad in your config file (as
>> I have in mine), it sets it to 1. This works for me, telnetting in
>> from a linux machine. A brief test on my home machine seems to
>> indicate that if you need to set it to 2 (DOS compatible),
>> OPTIONS=number_pad:2 should set the option correctly.

> I am playing on a windows 2000 professional system, using PuTTY, and
> neither 1 nor 2 works as my number_pad setting.

> Do I need to set someting in the PuTTY options? Do I need to switch to
> SSH? Should I use the ordinary telnet.exe program? Anyone?

I found the answer myself, finally (actually, you could call the
solution "obvious".

In the PuTTY settings, on the Terminal->Keyboard screen, in the
"Application keypad settings" section, you can set the "Initial state of
numeric keypad" to either "Normal" (default), "Application" or
"NetHack".

When I set this to NetHack (obvious), setting number_pad to 0 enables
the number pad. However, this also means that the hjkl keys still fail
to do anything but move you around (kick and loot don't work without ^D
or #, respectively).

I think I tried all possible combinations of setting the "initial state
of the numeric keypad" and number_pad, but none seemed to work as I
would like it to work.

Is there anyone who *did* get PuTTY to work as I would like it to work?

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@removethisword.home.nl> wrote:

> Is there anyone who *did* get PuTTY to work as I would like it to work?

Keyboard's numlock on, Nethack's number_pad=1, and in PuTTY, Initial state
of numeric keypad: Normal

Works for me. l loots, k kicks, numberpad moves me around.

Don't tell me your numlock isn't on? :) Or maybe there's some other
problem...

-Heikki

Rast wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:55:46 +0100:

> [numpad]

>> Do I need to set someting in the PuTTY options? Do I need to switch
>> to SSH? Should I use the ordinary telnet.exe program? Anyone?

> I use putty on NAO and the numpad works fine. Haven't gotten the meta
> key to work, though. Here are my putty settings:

When I use exactly those settings, the numpad does not work. When I
change NetHack's number_pad setting to 0, the numpad *does* work, but
the l key still doesn't "loot".

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:12:41 +0100:
> Rast wrote:
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:55:46 +0100:
>
> > [numpad]
>
> >> Do I need to set someting in the PuTTY options? Do I need to switch
> >> to SSH? Should I use the ordinary telnet.exe program? Anyone?
>
> > I use putty on NAO and the numpad works fine. Haven't gotten the meta
> > key to work, though. Here are my putty settings:
>
> When I use exactly those settings, the numpad does not work.

I forgot to mention: turn numlock on.

--

Heikki Moilanen wrote:

> Keyboard's numlock on, Nethack's number_pad=1, and in PuTTY, Initial
> state of numeric keypad: Normal

> Works for me. l loots, k kicks, numberpad moves me around.

Wel, it *didn't* for me.

> Don't tell me your numlock isn't on? :)

Uhm... No...

Since I always use the numeric keyboard for navigation, it indeed
wasn't, indeed. I almost never need to use the number keys (I am a
programmer, not a data typist), I have them switched off by default.

Works as a charm now.

Thanks! You saved me!

--

Rast wrote:

> I forgot to mention: turn numlock on.

As I just answered to Heikki Moilanen as well: thanks!

Works as a charm now.

Still, strange that when playing at home, I need *not* turn on
NumLock...

Ah never mind. It works! :)

--

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Philipp Lucas wrote:

> > AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION has to be enabled in a configuration file, where
> > it is headed by the warning "Enable any of these at your own risk --
> > there are almost certainly bugs left here." I suppose the person

> Well, looking at the bugs list at www.nethack.org, I don't see any bugs
> relating to autopickup.

...and I don't remember any problems about it being discussed here, either.
Probably the devteam just hadn't had time to test it thoroughly enough
before releasing 3.4.3, so they were not confident enough with it to
have it uncommented in the default configuration.

> I don't think that recompiling with autopickup on would break save file
> compatibility (does it?), so I guess it could be compiled in. I really

Looks like it doesn't. The only headers in the include directory with
#ifdef AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION are decl.h, extern.h, flag.h and wceconf.h.
The only conditional stuff in flag.h inside #ifdef AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION
are in instance_flags, and the only affected thing in decl.h is one struct
definition that isn't defined at all without AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION.
And makedefs.c only either adds the note about the feature in the feature
list or doesn't.

--
Jukka Lahtinen