1.33 mustang athlon system doesn't boot!

G

Hey guys!
Ok so this is my first time building a computer from scratch and its not working.
I put together an Asus A7V133 266FSB mobo with a 1.33 Mustang Athlon, 512mb of OEM ram, SB Live Platinum, 3D labs Oxygen GVX1 vid card and a Maxtor 61.4GB HD.

I connected everything properly then booted it up for the first time. it started up and then told me that it couldn't detect the keyboard. so I switched keyboards and rebooted. then I couldn't see anything on the screen but the fans were going. so shut down and booted up again. nothing. then after about 2-3 min of being left on and no lights on my keyboard, the computer shuts down on its own. I turn it on again but nothing, no fans, no hard drive spining, nada. however the motherboard green light is on when its pluged in.

please help!
any help is deeply apreciated.
thanks,
.phred.

G

Please tell me you have a decent heat sink, and some sort of a thermal compound on your processor? If not, you may have cooked your athalon.

If you have got a large HSF as well as thermal paste, I recommend either taking out the CMOS battery or moving the JBAT1 jumper to the "clear CMOS" setting, then hitting the power button. It should not turn on. Then move the jumper back to normal and turn it on again.

If this does not work then Remove everything other than your HDD, videocard, RAM, Mouse, keyboard, and monitor. and see if it turns on.

And last but not least (MAKE SURE THE COMPUTER IS UNPLUGGED, NOT OFF, BUT UNPLUGGED.... well off also) Remove the processor and plug it back in, it might not be thoroughly connected. and then plug it back in. and turn it back on.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
First make sure the case speaker is connected to the proper spot on ther motherboard. If at any time you hear beeping during any of this process, look up what the beeps mean in your motherboard's manual. Now, unplug the IDE and floppy cables from your motherboard and try booting up. If this works the problem is you are plugging the cable in backwards to the motherboard or one of the devices. If this does not fix your problem, check that all peripheral cards, such as your video card, are properly fitted into their slots. If the problem still persists, carefully take out your CPU and memory. Examine them to make sure there is no damage. Then carefully reinstall them, being sure they are all firmly seated. If the problem _still_ persists and you didn't hear any beeping at all, you likely have a bad motherboard or a bad CPU (or both.)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
The fans should run whatever so you either have a bad connection for your power switches to the mobo, connector from the mobo to psu, or your psu/mobo died.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details