Sign in with
Your question

New 1.2 GHZ T-Bird is too hot! Please help!

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2001 4:03:53 AM

I just installed a new T-bird 1.2 motherboard bundle from m-wave (cooling fan and heatsink included and preinstalled) Right now my system is in a cool room, with one 8 cm case fan and one fan on the power supply. My system is NOT overclocked but is running at 59 deg C. I do not want to injure my new T-Bird. What is the cheapest way to drop this system down to about the 49-51 deg area? I am familiar with coolerguys.com and thought about some arctic siler but then I wondered if my money would not be better spend on a new fan and heat sink.

Please let me know.

Madison
mmcmajor@apex.net

More about : ghz bird hot

May 2, 2001 4:28:19 AM

If your system is stable the high temp is no big deal. Who cares if the CPU only lasts 6 years instead of 10! It will be obsolete before heat kills it. But I know where your coming form and also like to know my CPU is as comfortable as possible. Some Arctic silver might help a few degrees but you will get the best results with a new heatsink and some Arctic silver (or the others with silver in em). I don’t know which is the best out right now, the new copper ones with the super thin fins look pretty tight so you will just have to do a little research. I think Overclockers.com has a nice list of hestsink reviews (love that website). The coolerguys site sell the swifttech for about $40 and I read a lot of good reviews about them. Hope this helps.

Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>
May 2, 2001 12:37:46 PM

From what I understand it's not just a matter of, "Who cares if the CPU only lasts 6 years instead of 10!" That is true but there is something more than that, From what I have understood from my research is that the cooler a CPU runs the more effective it is, so madmanbmw's 1.2 @59 degrees will run slower than if it was @35 degrees for example.

I'm no expert and lowlypawn's advice is good, but something else you can try is take the cpy and fan off and put it back yourself making sure it's exactly in place, that the heatsink really tightly fits over the CPU and that the CPU is exactly in the middle of the surface of the heatsink and that you have some thermal paste between.

Then I would check the temperature of your CPU again. ALso look in your case and have a look at all the wires (ide cables especially) airflow in the case is important, try to keep all the cables tidy and going round edges if you know what I mean instead of blocking the path of the air flow. Also try with one side of the case off also. these things might help but by far the most effective solution is to get a good cooler as lowlypawn advised, but what I have suggested is fee so that's probably your first step.

Hopefully some other people could come up with some tips. for example: also you can make the that the heatsink clip a bit tighter by placing some antistaic foam under the clip, or something similar to that effect.

Beer is the devil's piss.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hatimh on 05/02/01 08:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!