Sign in with
Your question

Installing Sharepoint 10

Last response: in Business Computing
April 30, 2012 12:25:57 PM

Good day,

Lately my company decided to add sharepoint as it facilitates many things .

Couple of questions i have:

1)can i install sp on a normal pc , or do i need a server as some sites has suggested? many websites advised a 64 bit proc. quad core and such, whereas other sites just pointed out that a desktop with good memory and space will do.

2) i was reading on what sp is used for , again many websites said its used as centralized/large sharing folder where seperate files could be stored in it to be used by everyone, and others wrote ,its like a buffer where websites can be downloaded to be checked changed .so which one is which?

3) would you guys recommend it , or is there another software youd recommend

Thanks

More about : installing sharepoint

April 30, 2012 2:57:04 PM

waelkd said:
Good day,

Lately my company decided to add sharepoint as it facilitates many things .

Couple of questions i have:

1)can i install sp on a normal pc , or do i need a server as some sites has suggested? many websites advised a 64 bit proc. quad core and such, whereas other sites just pointed out that a desktop with good memory and space will do.

2) i was reading on what sp is used for , again many websites said its used as centralized/large sharing folder where seperate files could be stored in it to be used by everyone, and others wrote ,its like a buffer where websites can be downloaded to be checked changed .so which one is which?

3) would you guys recommend it , or is there another software youd recommend

Thanks

Holy cow dude. Are you in over your head or what?

Hire a consultant. Based on your questions you will not be able to accomplish this task.

No, desktop computer will not work. Server2008sp2 or server2008r2 is a requirement for sharepoint foundation. Sharepoint can be used as a file server yes, but you wouldn't be getting your moneys worth my friend. Just setup a free box with samba if you need a file server. Plus your i/o would be horrendous and your users pissed.

Sharepoint can be used as a intranet landing, you can do cool stuff with asp and linking to different forms using data connectors. Tables, personal web pages, I could go on and on.. but you will probably need to hire a programmer to accomplish any one of the mentioned items.

I don't think you know what your getting yourself into. Please call your local IT business support company and have this discussion with them. Your company will thank you.
April 30, 2012 3:24:27 PM

yeah i know what you mean buddy, and ur 100% right, but i wanna give it a shot 1st ,and if it doesnt work then ill follow your advise.

anyhow thx for the heads up, appreciate it :) 
Related resources
April 30, 2012 3:49:26 PM

always worth a shot. good luck.
April 30, 2012 4:05:23 PM

umm@gumma said:
always worth a shot. good luck.

thx
!