Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Keyboard error or not?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 10, 2012 10:47:26 AM

Hi all, when i press 'w' and 'left shift' together and I press '1' and '3' on top of these 2 buttons, it works fine. but when i press '2' it doesn't.

is there a problem? uhm, mine is just some generic microsoft keyboard.

edit: i tried typing on a word document and when i pressed w, left shift and '2'.. I don't get "@" appearing.. whereas I can get "!" and "#" appearing when i pressed 1 and 3 respectively. can anyone do this simple test and let me know too?

More about : keyboard error

Best solution

November 13, 2012 5:29:40 PM

I just tested, they work for me. When hitting "W, Shift, and 1, or 2, or 3" all symbols are outputted correctly. "!@#"

Using Mech Board through USB.
November 13, 2012 9:55:39 PM

skaz said:
I just tested, they work for me. When hitting "W, Shift, and 1, or 2, or 3" all symbols are outputted correctly. "!@#"

Using Mech Board through USB.

hello, thanks for helping me test. yes i think there's a defect in that '2' key.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 10:10:52 AM

push the 2 key. a 2 should appear.
hold the shift key and press the 2 key. a @ should appear.

if the above works fine then it sounds like the keyboard matrix may just not be designed to properly handle that input. depending on how they design the matrix (the circuit board looking thing the keys touch inside a keyboard) different oddities may arise.

if the above does not work fine then perhaps there is a key issue.

testing Shift+w+2 on any other keyboard except the exact model you have is not going to answer the question as the key matrix can from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. some keyboards can handle just about any input (nkey rollover) and some can only handle 2 keys at minimum (2key rollover). of course a 2kro keyboard may support multiple as long as the keys do not intersect in the kb matrix.
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:56:13 PM

Best answer selected by kchaste.
m
l
!